Author Topic: is lipo suction necesarry for my gyno? Looking for a surgeon in Chicago area  (Read 2459 times)

Offline attila1905

• Posting Member
So today I had an appointment with a doctor who told me he wont perform surgery on me and basically I had to look elsewhere for another surgeon if i only wanted excision to remove the actual breast tissue. He told me I have to have lipo suction done as well because according to him, I wouldnt be 100% happy with the result if he did not suck out the fatty tissues around the breast area.
I do not have a cone shaped nipple. My gyno is not visible until I put on a tight shirt. So I believe I have a mild case. I can actually feel the breast tissue under my nipple. I would say it is like half the size of a golf ball. He also kept pushing for the full anesthesia to put me to sleep instead of the local anesthesia. I told him I dont care about 500-600 dollars additional, the idea of being put to sleep just freaks me out.
Not sure if i want to continue seeing him. I understand this is a business for the doctors but I also want to be able to trust the person who will cut me open. I need a good surgeon who I can trust in Chicago area.

Any help would be very appreciated. I am ready to do this.

Offline jay adams

• Gold Member
Every doc on this site does lipo as well. They say it is for contouring. You also must go under according to them. Who's the doc?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
It would be foolish to insist on gland excision only. Guys who think they have a "mild" case usually think they can get a minor procedure.  Nothing could b further from the truth.  Every type of gyne requires great skills on the part of the surgeon. 

For most guys, excision and lipo (combined) do provide the best results.  Remember, this is a contouring operation -- not a breast cancer operation.  Undoubtedly, some small amount of breast tissue will remain after appropriate surgery. If you try to remove every last bit of breast tissue, you would be mutilated. What counts, though, is the contour -- and the best way to assure oneself of a good result is to consult with an experienced gyne surgeon.

As for anesthesia, that is perhaps the easiest part of the operation for a patient.  Whether it is general anesthesia or twilight sleep, your operation should be comfortable and pain free.  If you insist on local anesthesia, prepare yourself for an excruciatingly painful experience and, most likely, an incomplete operative result.

Whether you believe it or not, doctors ARE concerned about the welfare of their patients -- it isn't all about money.

Finally, would suggest Dr. Pensler in Chicago -- an excellent surgeon and a major contributor to this site.

Good luck!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline attila1905

• Posting Member
It would be foolish to insist on gland excision only. Guys who think they have a "mild" case usually think they can get a minor procedure.  Nothing could b further from the truth.  Every type of gyne requires great skills on the part of the surgeon. 

For most guys, excision and lipo (combined) do provide the best results.  Remember, this is a contouring operation -- not a breast cancer operation.  Undoubtedly, some small amount of breast tissue will remain after appropriate surgery. If you try to remove every last bit of breast tissue, you would be mutilated. What counts, though, is the contour -- and the best way to assure oneself of a good result is to consult with an experienced gyne surgeon.

As for anesthesia, that is perhaps the easiest part of the operation for a patient.  Whether it is general anesthesia or twilight sleep, your operation should be comfortable and pain free.  If you insist on local anesthesia, prepare yourself for an excruciatingly painful experience and, most likely, an incomplete operative result.

Whether you believe it or not, doctors ARE concerned about the welfare of their patients -- it isn't all about money.

Finally, would suggest Dr. Pensler in Chicago -- an excellent surgeon and a major contributor to this site.

Good luck!

Dr Jacobs

This post answered a lot of questions in my head. Thank you very much for your time you took to enlighten me.

Offline attila1905

• Posting Member

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024