Author Topic: will be having subcutaneous mastectomy with mastopexy  (Read 2002 times)

Offline silverhandy

• Posting Member
Hi Doctors,  

Ill  be having Subcutaneous mastectomy with mastopexy  for my gynecomastia Grade 3  and my  Plastic surgeon  set me up  with  a local  anesthesia only . 

May  I know if this  anesthesia is sufficient enough , or already  a norm during this surgeries?   This will also be done OPD.
Will  I  get Scars from this ?  

Im actually scared of photos showing their areolas and nipples indented to  their chest,  will  I suffer that?  Will  it return to normal?  

How intense is this procedure,   would  i be readily go back  from my   daily life? 

if you can add some more infos,  that would be great!

thanks!!

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
You had best have another talk with your surgeon.  Local anesthesia is useful -- but for small, localized gyne.  If you are having a mastopexy, it is a bigger and longer procedure and you undoubtedly will have scars.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline silverhandy

• Posting Member
if thats the case regarding mastopexy,  is there any alternatives to that? 

does a type 3 gynecomastia really be needing that  procedure?  

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
If you consult with a gyne expert, you may find that you do not need a mastopexy at all.

Take your time and get the right surgeon!!

Dr Jacobs

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
Some photos would be useful. I would agree with the comments regarding local and mastopexy.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline silverhandy

• Posting Member
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 11:01:23 PM by silverhandy »

Offline Dr. Schuster

• Supporting Doctors
    • www.CosmeticSurgeryBaltimore.com
Be careful. Mastopexy in men is not the same as mastopexy in women. yes you will definitely have scars. The photos show tht you might actually need  larger resection and a nipple graft technique in order to give you the tightest result. 
Dr. Schuster
Chief, Division of Plastic Surgery Northwest Hospital
Private practice in Baltimore, Maryland
10807 Falls Road
Lutherville, Maryland 21093
410-902-9800
email: info@drschuster.com

Offline silverhandy

• Posting Member
aww.   Does the lift  has those inverted Ts   lollipop anchor scars etc?  

Is there an alternwtives there without repositioning?     Am I  already a failure case  and even exercise couldnt supress that and really only  surgery?

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Thanks for your photos.

You have an extreme case of gynecomastia and minimal scar surgery simply would not and could not work for you.  You have a choice:  live with your condition or consider much more extensive surgery which would leave permanent scars but provide you with a flat, trim and contoured chest.  In essence, it is a trade-off of scars for a more comfortable shape.

You should really seek an opinion from an expert in gynecomastia surgery -- and if there is no one close to you, then consider traveling for such expertise.  Do not jump into surgery without having all the answers.

Dr Jacobs

Offline Dr. Cruise

• Supporting Doctors
  • Gold Member
  • Dr. Cruise
    • http://lagynecomastia.org/
Be sure you are consulting with a surgeon who specializes in gynecomastia correction. This is extremely important. You want the right procedure done with the goal of having one surgery with the best possible result. 
In cases of more severe gynecomastia, scars are unavoidable. The great news is that scars continue to improve over time. You need to decide if getting rid of your gynecomastia is worth the trade off of scarring. Only you can answer this. I have found that this procedure is life-changing for my patients who are really bothered by their condition. 
Best of luck! Dr. C 
Dr. Cruise
Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
2081 San Joaquin Hills Road
Newport Beach, CA 92660
949-644-4808
Before and After Pictures
Types of Gynecomastia

Offline Dr. Schuster

• Supporting Doctors
    • www.CosmeticSurgeryBaltimore.com
A nipple graft technique does not have the vertical scar like in female mastopexy. But it has the peri-areolar scar as well as a horizontal scar along the IMF. Like the others have advised, do your homework before getting your surgery.

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
For some reason, I'm not able to see your posted photos.  In certain cases of type 3 gynecomastia, I have used a technique that involves aggressive liposuction, including superficially, as well as any required glandular excision to achieve a fairly complete subcutaneous mastectomy.  The skin is then splinted for a week using sticky-backed foam, and in appropriate patients, this results in much improved nipple position and overall contour.  Patients are advised that they may require peri-areolar skin reduction at a future point (generally after 9 months to a year), with the only resulting scar in the peri-areolar region. This could be done with local and intravenous sedation. 
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024