Author Topic: I recommend surgery!  (Read 3107 times)

Offline surgeryin7days

I just wanted to share my story. I'm 33 6’1” 240lbs and I have been living with gynecomastia for as long as I can remember. I actually recall my pediatrician telling me as a kid not to worry about it that it would go away as I got older. My chest became larger and larger as I got older. My weight as fluctuated over the years from 210 to 250 but my chest was always larger regardless of my weight. I have viewed some of the photos on this website and I would say that I was a 6 out of 10. My chest was fatty and the nipples were puffy. Like many of you I was terrified of beach trips, skins vs. shirts, and trips to the lake. I was terrified of anything having to do with my shirt off in front of strangers or even friends. New relationships with women were stressful for fear of embarrassment when it was time for the relationship to become sexual. I'm lucky to have many friends and a great family. Together we take several trips a year to the beach or to go fishing. I also grew up near a lake in Tennessee, so it seems as if every summer of my life was nothing but stress. However, I never backed down from an outing unless it was with people that I was unfamiliar with. It seemed those who I did not know that well were the ones I could hear behind my back or from the corner of my eye laughing or joking about my chest.

I'm now married with a little boy, and I finally decided enough was enough. I endured the teasing as a child and I did not want my own son being made fun of due to his father's "man boobs". It was also time for me to address this problem once and for all. I researched plastic surgeons in my area (Birmingham, AL) and I decided to have a consultation with Dr. Van Hoy of Premier Plastic Surgery here in Birmingham. Before my visit I was unaware of the medical term and how many men are affected. Dr. Van Hoy did an incredible job on educating me about gynecomastia. He explained what it was, how many men it affects, and my options on having it corrected. I decided on liposuction and the removal of breast tissue. He and his staff also wrote a letter to my insurance provider on my behalf. I was extremely happy when they called to tell me that my insurance provider was going to cover 100% of the cost. I had my surgery this past Wednesday (5/21) and tonight I was able to un-wrap my chest and take of the foam padding. I am ecstatic with the results! My chest looks amazing. I have very little bruising, and a little swelling and if the swelling never goes down I will still be happy with the results. I now have a normal sculpted chest. I ran to the closet and grabbed a short sleeved collared shirt (I use to hate those damn things!). I put the shirt on and for the first time in my life I loved what I saw in the mirror. My wife has always been supportive and she recommended that I not have the surgery, but I could see in her eyes and in her smile how happy she was for me.

I recommend this surgery for anyone who has been living with the physical and emotional problems of Gynecomastia. Make sure you choose to have the liposuction and the breast tissue removed. I wish I would have researched my options 10 years ago.

I will have to ask Dr. Van Hoy to email me the before and after photos when I go for my check up next week. I will post the pics when I have them.

Good luck to each of you and best wishes. It can be beat!

Offline bennj51189

• Bronze Member
really appreciate the post  ;D

Thats amazing that you're insurance covered all of the costs let alone any of it....who is your insurance provider? and if I came down to have the surgery, you think i could get the same coverage?

Offline surgeryin7days

My insurance company is Blue Cross Blue Shield. I don't know how the policy works or how you become a member, you would have to research it on your end. Good luck!

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Because cost is an issue for most of us when selecting an insurance policy, We tend to get the policies with the most exclusions. These policies are less expensive because they do not cover elective surgery.

More comprehensive coverage comes at a much higher cost. Changing policies to get the coverage will not work in the short term either since it would likely be ruled out as a pre-existng condition if treated within the first couple of years of coverage.
Grandpa Dan

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Changing policies to get the coverage will not work in the short term either since it would likely be ruled out as a pre-existng condition if treated within the first couple of years of coverage.

Yup, can't pull a fast one on the IC's...

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024