Author Topic: Will smoking marijuana cause gyno to grow back after surgery? Please help  (Read 16425 times)

Offline David 818

Hey guys, first off thanks for taking the time to read my post.
So i had liposuction on my chest area and gynecomastia removal via the shaver technique about 3 weeks ago(note he did not make an incision under my nipple he made 2 holes under each breast and took out the gyno like that by shaving it down and sucking it up.) I used to smoke marijuana alot but i had gyno before i ever smoked. Now after i my surgery i have cut down alot! I went from everyday to once a week. Im wondering if smoking marijuana every once in a while and not over doing it will there be a risk of it coming back. I dont mess around with any other drug or steroids and never will. Only marijuana, can that cause it to grow back? Thanks

Offline letsfixthis

• Silver Member
So i had liposuction on my chest area and gynecomastia removal via the shaver technique about 3 weeks ago(note he did not make an incision under my nipple he made 2 holes under each breast and took out the gyno like that by shaving it down and sucking it up.) I used to smoke marijuana alot but i had gyno before i ever smoked. Now after i my surgery i have cut down alot! I went from everyday to once a week. Im wondering if smoking marijuana every once in a while and not over doing it will there be a risk of it coming back. I dont mess around with any other drug or steroids and never will. Only marijuana, can that cause it to grow back? Thanks

marijuana=Gynecomastia.

reference: google: nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003165.htm

Causes: Cancer chemotherapy
Chronic liver disease
Exposure to anabolic steroid hormones
Exposure to estrogen hormone
Kidney failure and dialysis
Lack (deficiency) of testosterone (male hormone)
Marijuana use
Hormone treatment for prostate cancer
Radiation treatment of the testicles
Side effects of some medications (ketoconazole, spironolactone, metronidazole, cimetidine (Tagamet))

Also, do you know that you are admitting to a federal crime? The DEA could trace your IP address and raid your house. marijuana is a schedule 1 drug just like Cocaine and meth. There are over 20 million people in prison today because of marijuana. Do you really want to admit this on a public forum?

I am not a criminal defense lawyer but you might want to keep that information to yourself.

You do not want to be in jail especially with gynecomastia.

Offline tpuk

• Silver Member

I don't think anybody really knows for sure.....I smoked alot of weed during my teens & adult life - I already had gyn for a number of years before ever smoking marij & never noticed any change when I did smoke.

I think that alcohol deffo made gyn worse though !!!

Google/read around as much as you can & then make your decision. I have seen surgeons' responses to this question on this site so have a good look.

GL & congrats on your op :)

Offline M233V

• Posting Member
It can definately grow back if you smoke frequently. Some people are more likely to develop gyno, and if you are, don't smoke marijuana.

Offline letsfixthis

• Silver Member

Just go back to smocking harmless tobacco like the rest of us.( Just joking, I don't smoke)

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Susceptible people can have problems with drugs that do not have the same effect on others.

Porpecia is a good example. Lots of people useit to prevent hair loss and they have no ill effect. A small number of men develop Gynecomastia and some even have a form of Hypogonadism.

Marijuana is similar. lots of people use it and have no problem with Gynecomastia. The fact remains that users have a higher incidence of Gynecomastia than non-users.

I presume you are here because you have Gynecomastia. We already know your breasts are inclined to grow. Why chance it?
Grandpa Dan

Offline tpuk

• Silver Member

marijuana=Gynecomastia.

reference: google: nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003165.htm

Causes: Cancer chemotherapy
Chronic liver disease
Exposure to anabolic steroid hormones
Exposure to estrogen hormone
Kidney failure and dialysis
Lack (deficiency) of testosterone (male hormone)
Marijuana use
Hormone treatment for prostate cancer
Radiation treatment of the testicles
Side effects of some medications (ketoconazole, spironolactone, metronidazole, cimetidine (Tagamet))

Also, do you know that you are admitting to a federal crime? The DEA could trace your IP address and raid your house. marijuana is a schedule 1 drug just like Cocaine and meth. There are over 20 million people in prison today because of marijuana. Do you really want to admit this on a public forum?

I am not a criminal defense lawyer but you might want to keep that information to yourself.

You do not want to be in jail especially with gynecomastia.

gynecomastia.org/smf/38/marijuana-24623/msg162349/#msg162349

Offline letsfixthis

• Silver Member

I have researched the poster and found the following information:

....or smoke a significant amount of marijuana are usually not considered good candidates for surgery. These drugs, along with anabolic steroids, may cause gynecomastia. Stopping these drugs may reverse the breast enlargement, and you may be able to avoid the surgery or at least require a smaller operation.

-Dr. Bermant

and
..., I have seen patients who told me that their smoking of pot caused breast tenderness and growth. Stopping the use of the drug stopped the tenderness and growth. Resuming started the growth and symptoms again. For such individuals there is probably a connection. For the many other patients who have told me they smoked marijuana, almost all said they had no breast growth nor tenderness during use.

Surgery does not stop gynecomastia growth and is better done on a stable condition. When Drugs Causing Gynecomastia or Medical Problems That Cause Gynecomastia are not stabilized, recurrence happens. Shreds of gland remain after any gynecomastia surgery. There are fingers of gland that extend between fingers of fat as you can see in this Anatomy of Gynecomastia.

So the first step is an evaluation into why the breasts are growing, not surgery.

I have posted here in this forum how to pick a gynecomastia surgeon:

-Dr. Bermant

The great one has spoken, discussion over.

Plus, its a schedule 1 drug and illegal. That alone should give you pause.

Offline tpuk

• Silver Member
Here are some other quotes;

Dr. Elliot Jacobs
Supporting Doctors

Re: Marijuana
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 05:14:24 PM »
Yes, you are correct.  Marijuana can be detected in your body four weeks later.

Personally, I doubt if your situation would have any effect on the results of your surgery.

And although some sites on the net talk about gyne cause by marijuana, there are actually no medical studies to prove or disprove it -- one way or another.  It is not possible to do a proper, large scale medical study on an illegal substance.  Therefore, we actually do not know if it has a causative effect on gyne. Rest assured, however, that you will hear anecdotal stories from both sides of the fence.

Dr Jacobs

Dr. Rick Silverman
Supporting Doctors

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 05:38:08 AM »
I would second Dr. Jacob's sentiment.  Recently, in response to another question regarding the marijuana connection, several of us expressed doubt over a strong relationship between gynecomastia and marijuana as a causal agent.

Rick Silverman

DrPensler
Supporting Doctors
Gold Member

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 08:44:45 AM »
Pot use and Gynecomastia is at best a weak link. The amounts required for production if it in fact can be produced are very large. So it should not alter the surgery with respect to causing recurrence. Ingestion of smoke into the lungs prior to surgery is not something that optimizes ones chances for a successful result, it does impede wound healing.

nobody really knows because scientists are not allowed to carry out the proper research.

Its not a schedule 1 drug in the UK. The cops will just let you off with a warning 9/10 times. You only really get done for intent to supply / large amounts.

I'm certainly not saying OP should smoke post-op.....just that its unclear what the correct answers really are.

Offline letsfixthis

• Silver Member

nobody really knows because scientists are not allowed to carry out the proper research.

Its not a schedule 1 drug in the UK. The cops will just let you off with a warning 9/10 times. You only really get done for intent to supply / large amounts.

I'm certainly not saying OP should smoke post-op.....just that its unclear what the correct answers really are.
There are countries that you can get the death penalty for drugs including marijuana.

Dr.Bermant is in the top 1% of his practice who specializes in gynecomastia. He has witness first hand a very strong correlation between the cause and effects of marijuana.

The other doctors basically say that they don't know because there are no scientific studies for a illegal schedule 1 drug.

If there is a correlation between the illegal drug and gynecomastia plus it can land you in prison, why would you want to risk it.

It is probably one of those things that some people are effected and others are not. The safe way would be not to do it.

If you feel that you have to smoke something, just stick to harmless tobacco.  

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
It should be noted that Dr. Bermant is now Retired.

It should also be noted that medical information goes out of date rather quickly. For example, Over 80% of the medications prescribed today did not exist in this form 15 years ago. I am old enough to remember As an Air Force Medic, preparing Morphine for injection to counter pain. A tablet of Morphine was taken from the tube with the fingers and placed into a silver spoon with about 3cc of water for injection. This was heated to boiling over an alcohol burner which disolved the morphine tablet. The disolved Morphine was drawn up into a glass syringe and administerd using a re-usable but sterilized needle. I doubt if most people now working in hospitals have ever seen some of the supplies I have mentioned here.

No matter how good or reliable your information may have been, anything more than a few years old is out of date and anything over a decade old has a good chance of being wrong.

Offline letsfixthis

• Silver Member
It should be noted that Dr. Bermant is now Retired.

It should also be noted that medical information goes out of date rather quickly. For example, Over 80% of the medications prescribed today did not exist in this form 15 years ago. I am old enough to remember As an Air Force Medic, preparing Morphine for injection to counter pain. A tablet of Morphine was taken from the tube with the fingers and placed into a silver spoon with about 3cc of water for injection. This was heated to boiling over an alcohol burner which disolved the morphine tablet. The disolved Morphine was drawn up into a glass syringe and administerd using a re-usable but sterilized needle. I doubt if most people now working in hospitals have ever seen some of the supplies I have mentioned here.

No matter how good or reliable your information may have been, anything more than a few years old is out of date and anything over a decade old has a good chance of being wrong.

I think there was a time were doctors thought you loved with your heart and hated with your spleen or something like that. Also, used leaches to take out the bad blood so your body could produce good blood,etc.

There are many horrors which happen at so called "health clinics" many years ago.  

There are also something on the reverse side certain mental disorders which were properly diagnosed have been removed as mental disorders based purely on political activist and not on scientific fact or merit.  

Anyway, as far as the illegal schedule 1 drug in question, I am not quite sure what you are trying to say here. Dr. Bermant only retired like a year ago not 15 years ago. Also, he saw a direct cause and effect relationship with patients who admitted to using marijuana.

He saw when they actively used it and increase in gynecomastia. He saw when it was not being used a decrease in gynecomastia. The same can be said for steroid use. Some people who use steroids get gynecomastia. I think that might be why there is talk of gynecomastia in body building forums with people who are in great shape but use steroids.

Why would you want to take something that will cause give you gynecomastia,land you in prison and then give you lung cancer?

I think I agree with Dr.Bermant on this one. He has always been more into ruling out body chemistry before surgery than other doctors. There is also much information on the internet which supports this besides Dr.Bermant.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 02:40:25 AM by letsfixthis »

Offline joltera

• Bronze Member
Marijuana will not make your gyno come back, nor does it cause it. There's no real evidence to support this at all, it's all just opinions. People really don't know, so they say don't do it to be safe. There's a huge difference between correlation and causation. Alcohol on the other hand is another story. Alcohol directly effects your livers ability to filter out excess estrogen in your blood. Gyne is usually caused by an imbalance of hormones your body cannot control. In addition to that, alcohol is broken down into acetaldehyde which is a chemical that kills brain cells. I don't advise smoking marijuana as it is mentally addicting and can open the possibility of using other more harmful drugs, but I  disagree with anyone who argues it causes or contributes to gyno. Of course, no one knows for sure because no one will ever fund such research. There's always a chance you have some rare sensitivity that is present in a hundredth of a percent of the population.. but chances are if you are an occasional user (once or twice a month) I doubt you have anything to worry about.
f*ck gyne

Offline letsfixthis

• Silver Member
It is stated as fact on medical websites talking about gynecomastia that marijuana is a contributing factor as well as witnessed first hand by Dr.Bermant.

There is a much stronger correlation between marijuana use and gynecomastia than there is between alcohol and gynecomastia.

Also, in medical science there are many many drugs that are used today which doctors and scientist have no idea how it works exactly other than a cause and effect relationship. The exact details are still unknown. Its almost frighting how little is down about even valid medical drugs.

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time. Marijuana is a schedule 1 drug which means is the most illegal classification you can possible get for any drug.

Offline moobius

• Gold Member
Marijuana will not make your gyno come back, nor does it cause it. There's no real evidence to support this at all, it's all just opinions. People really don't know, so they say don't do it to be safe. There's a huge difference between correlation and causation. Alcohol on the other hand is another story. Alcohol directly effects your livers ability to filter out excess estrogen in your blood. Gyne is usually caused by an imbalance of hormones your body cannot control. In addition to that, alcohol is broken down into acetaldehyde which is a chemical that kills brain cells. I don't advise smoking marijuana as it is mentally addicting and can open the possibility of using other more harmful drugs, but I  disagree with anyone who argues it causes or contributes to gyno. Of course, no one knows for sure because no one will ever fund such research. There's always a chance you have some rare sensitivity that is present in a hundredth of a percent of the population.. but chances are if you are an occasional user (once or twice a month) I doubt you have anything to worry about.

this is correct, even for heavy users. the old studies which concluded that mj leads to gyne have been debunked since

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024