Author Topic: Indentions. Temporary?  (Read 1323 times)

Offline Blakelovell

Had recent gynecomastia surgery and a week later had hematoma that had to be drained by another surgery. It was only on the left side they had to remove two ping pong size lumps from improper testerone use at a young age. Weirdly enough the right side had no gyno at all. It's been two weeks since the surgery and I have a crater like indention behind my nipple mainly. I know this is too soon to judge the success of the surgery but my question is, is this normal to have indentions this soon after a surgery? Do these things usually fill back in upon healing? The surgeon said he took no muscle out but he did remove some fat. He said the amount of breast tissue he had to remove was about the size of a small pancake because I had so much. I'm really hopping that this crater indention is temporary can anyone shed some light on this for me. I have a pic if necessary

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
When a hematoma occurs, it should be removed either by syringe aspiration or actual surgical drainage.  The result after successful evacuation oftentimes looks like a crater -- it is not.

What happens is that blood from the hematoma collects in the cavity but also infiltrates and expands the surrounding tissues.  When the cavity is drained, it becomes flat.  But there is no surgical (or any other treatment) for the blood which has infiltrated into the surrounding tissues -- they remain swollen.  It looks like a ring around the nipple and the result is that immediately it looks like a crater.  In actuality, within a few weeks, the body will remove the blood from the surrounding tissues and the entire chest should be relatively smooth.

Keep the faith.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024