Author Topic: Experiences with puffyness post op  (Read 4859 times)

Offline AZ54321

• Posting Member
I know this question has gone around often in these forums, but I was just wondering how many guys actually have their post-op puffy areola resolved? I had my surgery with Fielding on august 26, and after five months, I'm no where near happy. I don't have any pics, but I can assure you that the right side looks no better than it pre op (it was also the side that I had a minor hematoma drained), and the left side looks kinda better, but not where I want it to be. I saw Fielding about a month ago and he told me to start massaging, and that I was completely flat on the operating table and I should go back to that. He told me himself that if this was the final result, he was would be no where near happy -- it's just not to his own standards. I even remember speaking to him 1 hour after my surgery as I was recovering from the anesthetic, and he told me that the surgery went very well and "I took out nice big chunks of gland from both sides" (which I obviously thought was great). Under my left side, I can feel hard lumps, but my right side (which is the worse side) feels much softer. Can scar tissue be hard on one side but soft on the other? He told me to see him in 4-6 months, but I'm starting to get impatient... I mean 5 months is quite a long time and I havent seen anything change since about mid october so it's hard to believe anything is going to change now. Thanks, and sorry for the rambling.. this is just getting extremely depressing. I'm scared spring/summer will come around and my hopes of going out comfortably to the beach and walking around in white t-shirts won't be realized..

Offline nipplevision

• Silver Member
I'm experiencing the same sh*t as you.
Nipples look as bad as before the op (now 6 months ago). Right nipple actually looks worse than before the op.
Both nipples are now puffy and nothing has changed. Can feel hard tissue on both sides where the incisions were made.

I'm also getting desperate about this and I'm considering revision with another surgeon. But first I think I need to have a good talk with the surgeon who treated me. This is not what I paid for.

Please note that my chest was perfect for about 2 weeks after surgery. After those 2 weeks, they puffed out again and things haven't gotten any better since...

I know, it's very frustrating, especially since you and me hoped to walk around this summer without worrying about the size and appearance of our nipples.

Offline ThisSucks15

• Posting Member
o shit, i have my operation with fielding this friday, hopefully my surgery goes a litle better.
he told me in the consultation though that you wont see final results for a year :S

Offline MEND1

• Posting Member
Fellas, my PS treated me w/ kenaloug injections. Was experiencing the same puffiness, although not to the same degree mentioned here. Never the less I assume we're all experiencing the same challenge. Anyway I think I'm starting to see some shrinking, very gradual process. Not where I want to be yet, but I'm hoping this gets me across the finish line. Agree this whole process has been pretty annoying.

Offline AZ54321

• Posting Member
THanks for the encouragement... i think I'm past the point of being annoyed -- I'm down right depressed right now. I don't even want to take a shower or change my shirt anymore so as not to see my chest (but of course I still do)... I'm hoping this will all be fine in the end but it's driving me crazy... sometimes I can't even get any work done because I get so depressed over it.. i don't feel like leaving the house or going out anymore.

Offline nipplevision

• Silver Member
Don't let this get you so down man.
I know it's hard but try to stay positive. For me it's also hard at times. I even still wear the tight undershirts sometimes, just to feel more comfortable. But when summer comes, those things will be hot as hell...
Yesterday I called my PS to make an appointment. He promised to call me back but didn't. Guess I'll try again today. + I'll make an appointment with another PS to get a second opinion on my 'results'.

No way I'm going to let this ruin the rest of my life like it already did for years in a row.

DrBermant

I know this question has gone around often in these forums, but I was just wondering how many guys actually have their post-op puffy areola resolved? I had my surgery with Fielding on august 26, and after five months, I'm no where near happy. I don't have any pics, but I can assure you that the right side looks no better than it pre op (it was also the side that I had a minor hematoma drained), and the left side looks kinda better, but not where I want it to be. I saw Fielding about a month ago and he told me to start massaging, and that I was completely flat on the operating table and I should go back to that. He told me himself that if this was the final result, he was would be no where near happy -- it's just not to his own standards. I even remember speaking to him 1 hour after my surgery as I was recovering from the anesthetic, and he told me that the surgery went very well and "I took out nice big chunks of gland from both sides" (which I obviously thought was great). Under my left side, I can feel hard lumps, but my right side (which is the worse side) feels much softer. Can scar tissue be hard on one side but soft on the other? He told me to see him in 4-6 months, but I'm starting to get impatient... I mean 5 months is quite a long time and I havent seen anything change since about mid october so it's hard to believe anything is going to change now. Thanks, and sorry for the rambling.. this is just getting extremely depressing. I'm scared spring/summer will come around and my hopes of going out comfortably to the beach and walking around in white t-shirts won't be realized..

5 months can still be early with some surgical techniques.

Posting Standard After Gynecomastia Pictures can help other better understand your concerns.

Feeling firm tissues and seeing a contour deformity are two separate issues. For some, they again have a flat contour as long as their areola muscles are tense. When that muscle relaxes, the underlying contour remains a distressing issue.  A good result should not need such stimulation just to look flat.

Early after surgery swelling can mask residual deformity.  How Tissues Evolve After Gynecomastia Surgery depend on many factors. Firm tissues after surgery can be residual gland, but also can just be healing tissues or scars.  Different surgical techniques injure tissues to different degrees.  The body typically needs to heal before considering revision surgery. Rushing into secondary surgery can be a mistake unless there are complications that need to be addressed or the next surgery is component of a staged procedure.  Time to tissues softening can vary depending on the original problem, what was done, after surgery care,
Scar Care, After Surgery Compression Garments, and many other factors. Options depend on the problem to be treated. A hematoma after surgery often will delay tissue evolution and may result in a deformity in itself.  I rarely wait so long before starting the scar care for my patients. With only one month of scar care, tissues may yet soften. Time can range from 6 months to a year but can vary depending on many issues best explored with your doctor.

I see many patients who complain of residual Puffy Nipple Gynecomastia after another doctor's surgery.  There are many possible problems causing such a deformity.  The most common is remaining gland behind the areola as seen in these Anatomy of Puffy Nipple Drawings.  Check out the images with the link for remaining gland after surgery to see what I mean. 

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Revision Gynecomastia Chest Sculpture

Offline AZ54321

• Posting Member
Thanks Dr. Bermant,
you said a hematoma can cause a deformity itself? is this permanent? it was not a huge hematoma like i've heard about on other guys. the PS only took out 10CCs of blood from hematoma and he told me that was relatively minor compared to what other guys have

DrBermant

Thanks Dr. Bermant,
you said a hematoma can cause a deformity itself? is this permanent? it was not a huge hematoma like i've heard about on other guys. the PS only took out 10CCs of blood from hematoma and he told me that was relatively minor compared to what other guys have

It is a function of how much was left behind and how the body deals with it.  That is a question better directed towards your doctor or someone who you see for a second opinion and can better understand the specifics of your situation.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline AZ54321

• Posting Member
Thanks for all your help Dr. Bermant. I am considering having a revision surgery if this does not clear up after a year. However, as I live in Toronto, I can't come in to see you for a pre-op consultation. First, do you do revision surgeries on cases where not enough gland was removed? And second, how do you determine if you will operate on a patient through a remote consultation? Thanks.

DrBermant

Thanks for all your help Dr. Bermant. I am considering having a revision surgery if this does not clear up after a year. However, as I live in Toronto, I can't come in to see you for a pre-op consultation. First, do you do revision surgeries on cases where not enough gland was removed? And second, how do you determine if you will operate on a patient through a remote consultation? Thanks.

Yes I perform many Revision Surgeries on patients  where not enough gland was removed by other doctors.  You can find several examples of the many such sculptures I have done on my web pages.

We see many Gynecomastia Patients from Canada and around the world who prefer my techniques. To minimize travel most start our with our Preliminary Remote Discussion where we use standardized pictures, sometimes movies, detailed history, surgical operative reports, doctors office notes to explore options. For many of these patients, we can then schedule a tentative surgery that still needs an in office consultation the day before surgery to confirm the details with a real in person exam. Some severe deformities are beyond such remote planning. For these patients, we continue the evaluation in the office at no additional charges from us (there is a time limit for continuing this at no charges). However, surgery would then need to be scheduled at a future date and return visit. I have been performing these remote discussions now for more than a decade and we have refined the system over the years to what we have today. Jane is my office manager and will be glad to explain the process.  She can normally be reached at our office by phone Monday - Friday 9-5 Eastern Time at (804) 748-7737.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Revision Gynecomastia and Chest Surgery

Offline Jan1010

• Posting Member
How you making out bud?  Now that it is five months later any better?

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024