Author Topic: What causes creasing/cratering?  (Read 4262 times)

Offline DS

• Posting Member
Would this be the result of too much gland excision?..Or possibly too much liposuction around the nipple? Thanks
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 01:36:47 PM by DS »

Offline DS

• Posting Member

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
These are two different situations with two different causes. 

Cratering is an abnormal, concave contour of the nipple/areola complex after surgery that is usually caused by excessive tissue excision, leaving inadequate support of the nipple/areola skin.  Sufficient breast tissue needs to be left for support, and unfortunately that breast tissue can sometimes grow, creating recurrence of the original problem. The surgeon walks a fine line between not taking out enough tissue and taking out too much.

A crease in the nipple/areola skin after gynecomastia surgery is not uncommon, and it's usually caused by a redundancy of skin since gland tissue beneath it has been removed.  Fortunately this is usually a temporary problem, as the skin contracts after the surgery over time.  The crease usually disappears in a few weeks/months.

Dr. Pope, MD
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

Offline DS

• Posting Member
Thank you, Dr.

I think I may have a minor case of a crease that has developed as a result of my procedure. I had surgery in February and shortly after I removed the compression vest, I noticed a crease under my left nipple when I flexed.

Are there any ways to have this corrected?

Thanks

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
As Dr. Pope pointed out, frequently, the creases in the areola resolve over time.  If not, options would depend on the overall appearance and the nature of the areola.  If it's due to a paucity of underlying fat, fat grafting (or use of an alternative filler agent) could be tried, and this could solve the problem.  If the skin of the areola is particularly redundant and large as well, consideration could be given to peri-areolar skin reduction, which would likely also tighten the skin of the areola and eliminate the crease.  You should speak to your surgeon about what's going on, and he or she should be able to address the issue better, with the advantage of a physical exam.

Good luck,

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com