Author Topic: Recurrence due to weight gain? Please help!  (Read 1945 times)

Offline patssoxcelts

Hi,

I finally got surgery about 14 months ago and was thrilled with the results. The surgeon removed both glandular tissue as well as fat. At the time of the surgery I was a healthy 5 foot 10, 152 pounds.

Unfortunately over the past six months I have put on significant weight, and I am now at about 175. I've obviously developed a belly, but I've also noticed some fat returning to my chest. That would obviously be expected, given my weight gain.

My concern is that I've permanently "undone" the benefits of the surgery.

In other words, when I lose this extra weight, will my chest return to how it looked post surgery? Or will the fat I've gained "stick," requiring another surgery to remove?

I'm guessing that if gyno were permanent, i.e. any post surgery weight gain would require new surgery, it would literally be the first thing a doctor would warn you about. Still, I'm very nervous about this. I would be crushed if I've sabotaged the excellent work of my surgeon and set myself back.

I understand that the glandular tissue can't return due to weight gain, I'm just paranoid that I the fat will be permanently stuck.

Thanks in advance for any help. I'm hoping someone here can put my mind at ease.

P.s. I've never smoked weed, never used steroids, and have never been on any medications, so I'm confident it is simply fat associated with my weight gain.

Offline patssoxcelts

Can someone please help me on this question? I'm becoming increasingly depressed and hopeless. I cannot stand to think about this being a recurring problem. The feelings of shame and fear the first time around put me to bed for years of depression. I can't mentally go through this over and over.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
No one can know for sure unless you lose the extra weight that you put on.  Once you return to 152 lbs, you will have your answer.

Dr Jacobs

Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline patssoxcelts

Yes, obviously when I lose the additional weight the answer will be clear.

However, I find it hard to believe that there isn't a predictive answer for this. There must be numerous cases of men who have surgery, gain, and then lose weight.

If nothing else, wouldn't it be a known issue due to people requiring repeat surgery?

In other words, is this something that has been observed in practice? Men who require repeat surgery after gaining and then losing weight?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I have had some cases in which a guy came in for surgery at a certain weight and had satisfactory surgery.  At follow up 6-12 months later, he had gained 40 lbs -- and yes his chest was slightly larger than when he had just finished surgery.  But at 40 lbs more, his chest was still significantly better than his pre-op condition.

Don't know what happened to him if he had subsequent weight loss and effects  on his breasts.

Dr Jacobs

Offline patssoxcelts

Interesting.

I actually take that as good news.

If weight permanently "stuck" post surgery every time a patient gained and lost weight, I feel the medical community would know about it. Does that make sense?

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
Gynecomastia correction is as you know not a license to increase your caloric intake and body weight by 15% or more. Biologically when you gain weight the number of fat cells do not increase.What happens as you gain weight is the existing fat cells get bigger.If you loose weight the existing cells get smaller.A more frequent occurrence after surgery is that patients love the improved look and are motivated to get into even better shape.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024