Author Topic: NHS- Seeing the GP...  (Read 6063 times)

Offline WXYZ

• Bronze Member
You're gyne is the same size as mine, except mine is on one side only. I was offered surgery on the NHS, but turned it down as I wasn't confident in the surgeon and one of the nurses even cracked a joke to her friend when she saw me as the only man waiting in the breast clinic (full of women). I heard her say "he's one of them". I won't let people like that be involved in my care. It's not the NHS that's the problem, it's some of the people who work for them. It seems NHS are so desperate for staff that they take almost anyone, even if they are insensitive to patients.  >:(

Hopefully, your experience won't be bad as mine. Didn't have any probs with my GP though, he was understanding.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 11:55:32 AM by WXYZ »

Offline Hope

• Silver Member
You're gyne is the same size as mine, except mine is on one side only. I was offered surgery on the NHS, but turned it down as I wasn't confident in the surgeon and one of the nurses even cracked a joke to her friend when she saw me as the only man waiting in the breast clinic (full of women). I heard her say "he's one of them". I won't let people like that be involved in my care. It's not the NHS that's the problem, it's some of the people who work for them. It seems NHS are so desperate for staff that they take almost anyone, even if they are insensitive to patients.  >:(

Hopefully, your experience won't be bad as mine. Didn't have any probs with my GP though, he was understanding.

Wow, that nurse was a right bitch. You shouldnt have to take things like that especially us sensitive gyne sufferes!! Lets hope all goes well for me tommorow...
*Gyne free thanks to Mr Levick on  April 9th 2009*

Offline kingboob

Levick doesn't do NHS work - but the Priory Hospital (the hospital Levick works for) does accept this thing called a BMI card. It's like a credit card where you effectively borrow the money and have a year to pay it back with no interest (after the year, the interest rate is stupidly high so make sure you're def going to be able to pay it back). So what you could do it have the op just before you start uni around late August/early Sept (might mess up freshers week a bit) then you can earn money during xmas, easter and a bit of summer hols to pay it back in a years time.

As you say the problem with that bmi card is basically the interest rate......   I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole unless you have some money due to you in X months time that you can use to clear the balance...... like a student loan or whatever.

Yeah, looking at the posters pictures that is sever gyne, he lists his weight as 120kg (264lbs?), which is 18.5 st ish?     You just know the NHS are gonna tell you too lose weight first, but those moobs aren't going anywhere in a hurry.

Having said that, just to contradict myself here, I weigh about the same weight as that at 6ft 5, and the NHS did offer to treat my boobs, but my case was extreme after losing about 17st ish in weight as well.

Mr Levick is private, best part of 4k (over half is hospital fees though) but its well worth the cash if you can raise it......

Offline Hope

• Silver Member
BMI for me is the last and extreme resort that I will have to result to if everything goes wrong with the NHS for me.

I joined gym a month ago and I do feel and look alot better, I can see that gym is working as I am also maintaning a healthy diet.

However my moobs are the problem as I cant go to the gym and train freely, I am the only one in the gym with a jacket on!

So I honestly feel that I will lose alot more weight if my gyne is gone, because I will be more active. I will play alot more football and go gym more often.

I am going to tell that to the doc tommorow...

Offline kingboob

Yeah, I know what you mean, I used to do the gym with full joggers on and basically a t-shirt and jumper on top........ looked very strange mid-summer and didn't even really hide the moobs either.

I mean getting rid of them is amazing, I keep going to adjust my shirts now and then realising I don't have to cuz I no longer have boobs to hide!!

I mean if you could just get your BMI under 30 ( I need to do that too right now), that would strengthen your case with getting the NHS funding.

Offline newmanby30

• Posting Member
Hey mate - I had surgery through the NHS and it was a real success, couldn't be happier... its definitely worth pursuing.... cases are becoming far more common and my GP was very understanding. Try and be brave and speak to them because as soon as you have someone on side, you feel like you are winning the battle.... let us know how you get on

Cheers
New Man

Offline Hope

• Silver Member
Honestly I hope that the doc does not say to me 'lose weight and then come back'.

I dont think I will be able to go to gym everyday in the state that I am in, I can not wear the same bleedin jacket to the gym everyday!!

I hope that the doc is helpful, I have never been to him but he is my family doctor.

I also hope I dont have to get the BMI card to pay for surgery because I will be in over 9000 pounds debt with uni after 3 years and also 4000 pounds for this surgey which I have to pay back ASAP!!

I pray that tommorow is a success, my appointment is at 9 in the morning. I am assuming I will be the first person to the doc on the fresh new day.

I hope that he will wake up on the right side of the bed tommorow....

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
However my moobs are the problem as I cant go to the gym and train freely, I am the only one in the gym with a jacket on!

You could do wonders for your body with an inexpensive bench and a set of dumbbells at home. You don't need all the high-tech gadgetry that a gym offers...

As for cardio...  you could go walking/jogging/running at night or very early morning (4-5 am) when most people are still sawing loggs...  ;)

The gym in not the only place to get fit...

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Grandpa Bambu

I have some fat on my chest but the think that makes it stick out is the glandular tissue. Fat can be lost through excercise but not glandular tissue and that's the reason I want to have surgery.

Chest fat can be very difficult, and in some cases impossible to loose. Don't be fooled into believing that if it's 'fat', you can exercise it 'all' away...

GB

Offline Hope

• Silver Member

You could do wonders for your body with an inexpensive bench and a set of dumbbells at home. You don't need all the high-tech gadgetry that a gym offers...

As for cardio...  you could go walking/jogging/running at night or very early morning (4-5 am) when most people are still sawing loggs...  ;)

The gym in not the only place to get fit...

GB

I was planning to by a cross trainer and some dumbbells after my gym membership which finishes in 2 months...

Offline Grandpa Bambu

I was planning to by a cross trainer...

What's a 'cross trainer'? Is that like a universal home gym?

GB

Offline Hope

• Silver Member
I was planning to by a cross trainer...

What's a 'cross trainer'? Is that like a universal home gym?

GB

It is nothing like a universal gym.

Cross trainer is absolutley perfect for losing weight, they are supposed to make you lose a lot more calories then a treadmill.

Everyone on this board listen, if you want to lose weight then:

-Maintain a healthy diet
-jump on the cross trainer as your regular exercise!!! PERIOD

Offline kingboob

I wouldn't worry about wearing the same gear to the gym all the time - (as long as it is clean LOL), a lot of people have a gym outfit.......

I don't know where you live, but if you are somewhere in the country where you can ride a bicycle around country lanes or whatever then buying a bike is a good way to get the cardio fitness going.......... but it isn't much fun riding on the main roads so it really depends where you live.

Also you can buy some dumbells and just do some weights in your bedroom....... I mean you hardly need any space at all to store a couple of weights.  You could do squats, pushups, situps, bicep curls, shoulder shrugs,  calf raises, Lateral Raises, shoulder press, Front Raises..... etc etc etc, and you don't even need a bench for  most exercises, just the dumbbells a private space and possibly  chair.

Offline flyingwolf16

• Posting Member
Hi all, just to draw ur attention back to the issuue u had with the nurses. I 2 had similar experience but with the surgeon i was sent to via the NHS. He walked into the consultation room and at the top of his voice said, so u think uve got big boobs.  was like, ok a bit of sensitivity and discretion wouldnt go a miss, considering the room was on a busy corridor in the hospital with very thin doors etc. I certainly had a  funny look from a girl who was sitting outside the room as i walked out.  In my oppinion there sees o be a lack of proffesionalism in the NHS today. Granted, not everyone is like that, but from my experience there is a lot of wrk to be done there. And gyne really needs to be taken seriously in the NHS.

Offline WXYZ

• Bronze Member
flyingwolf,

Yeah my problem was really with just that one particular nurse and the other she joked to. I mean her freind couldn have told her off but didn't. Personally I think people like that shouldn't be allowed to become nurses. Sensitivity should be a pre-requisite. When I came out I got funny looks from a number a women patients there. Afterall I was the only male in the breast clinic! And I did see a woman look at my chest area. :-[ I really hate the fact that NHS has to send you to a breast clinic, having to wait there for 1.5 hours just to see the doc amongst women-only patients. I can understand whymany guys just don't turn up.

Telling my GP was OK, but when Iwent to see him about gyne, I had to tell him to close the door. Imagine that, these days you have to tell the doc to close the door, that should be standard for all docs. >:(

I think the NHS is so short-staffed that they just take anyone who's willing to work for them.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024