Author Topic: Choosing a surgeon  (Read 3911 times)

Offline mephistopholes

• Posting Member
Would it be wise to settle on a surgeon based on one consultation and feedback of someone else on this forum?  I work full-time and have a busy schedule.  I would have to drive long to go get a consultation. 

I think it will be wise to get as many consultations as possible from maximum number of surgeons provided that it's worth it and you have the time, but how have others done it?  Did you settle on the 1st surgeon you met or met with as many surgeons as possible?

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
You must do your homework on the surgeon. Check his/her credentials. Make sure they are 'Board Certified' and that they perform the procedure frequently. 100-150 G surgeries a year (or more) is good.

My opinion.... if you get good vibes from the doc, and you've had a good (I assume) referral from a forum member, and credentials are good, go for it...  ;)

Who is the PS if you don't mind me asking?

GB 
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Aperture

• Silver Member
It's pretty important to find the right surgeon. He's going to be the one cutting into you!

Karidis seems to be the guy to go to in England but i chose not to, mainly due to distance and it being a lot easier to see my surgeon if any problems were to arise.  I met with my GP and he recommended my surgeon. After meeting him, he knew straight away what was needed and how to go about doing the surgery. After reading many threads here, i could tell he knew what he was talking about. 

As GB mentioned, make sure they are 'Board Certified'.  My surgeon was part of The British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons, so straight away this tells me he's one experienced surgeon.  He's done this procedure a lot, i doubt as much as Karidis but enough for me to go with him. 

So, pretty much what GB mentioned; make sure they have performed the procedure enough, their credentials check out and you feel happy with them.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 09:46:41 PM by Aperture »

Offline tomo25mcr

• Posting Member
hi i am in england, could u give me details on Dr. Karidis pls apperture, where is he based? how much does he charge?

Offline Aperture

• Silver Member
He's based in London. Here's his website: http://www.nipntuck.co.uk/
I think his consultations are £75 and surgery is around £4000.

DrBermant

Would it be wise to settle on a surgeon based on one consultation and feedback of someone else on this forum?  I work full-time and have a busy schedule.  I would have to drive long to go get a consultation. 

I think it will be wise to get as many consultations as possible from maximum number of surgeons provided that it's worth it and you have the time, but how have others done it?  Did you settle on the 1st surgeon you met or met with as many surgeons as possible?

It is not the number of surgeons you see, but the quality.  Doing your homework is essential.  Not all doctors who call themselves plastic surgeons have adequate training.  Here is an article I saw today about one of the many unqualified doctors I have seen horrible complications from.  Some of these disasters were so bad, I saw no reconstructive options.

Check out this Forbes Article about a Fill 'Er Up With Human Fat about a doctor who used his patients fat from liposuction to fuel his car!  The really tragic aspect were the patient disasters.  Check out the comment section for the article.

Try checking this particular self declared "cosmetic surgeon."

American Board of Medical Specialties. Now you will need to sign up for free access, but what do you find?  Yes, he is board certified, but in Radiology?!!!  Some of the patient disasters I have seen from such doctors, the doctor actually had no board certification what so ever!  However, patients have explained me that the doctors claimed to be "Board Certified" Plastic Surgeons.  Buyer beware.

Revision Gynecomastia Surgery has its limitations.  Prevention is much better than needing a revision.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024