Author Topic: I'm new here and just wanted to share..  (Read 2822 times)

Offline VolbeatFan

Just a little background: I'm 22 years old and I don't remember the last time I didn't wear a shirt that wasn't black.  I weigh no more than 145 lbs and I'm 5'8.  I've had gynecomastia since I was in jr. High. 

A few months ago, I was having dinner with a few close friends. I was having a great time until one of my female friends went "wait a minute!" while looking towards me.  She reached out across the table, touched my chest and went "wow.. you have boobs." I felt absolutely humiliated.  Everyone made jokes about it for a while and I had a mortified look on my face for the rest of the night. I didn't talk to anyone and just left as soon as I was done eating.  My friend felt bad that she said that, and as soon as she saw the look on my face, she backpedaled and said, "no! you have pecs!"  .. but the damage was done.  This was back in early January and I have nightmares of going to the beach now. I don't allow myself to date because I've  convinced myself that gyne. has deemed me undatable.  I tried going to the doctor to talk about it today and see what my options are but to be honest, I feel so uncomfortable talking about it that I just didn't show up.  I'm also worried that the doctor would treat me like a joke.  I go to the gym about 3-4 times a week after my classes.  I'm a really skinny guy, but all my fat seems to go straight to my chest... Thanks for reading.. if anyone did.. but whatever, I just wanted to get this off my chest (no pun intended). 

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
I was about 25 and the senior medical Tech. in an Air Force Hospital Emergency Room. My usual work uniform was either Whites or Green scrubs. One day things were especially busy and one of the Nurses came down from a ward upstairs to help. She slipped in some liquid that had been spilled on the floor and reached out to grab anything she could to break her fall. What she go hold of way my chest. She was more embarrassed than I though. She was a living doll, but with the curves (or lack thereof) of a 9 year old. We never became a romantic couple, but our shared embarrassment was the catalyst that forged a long lasting friendship. Life is full of odd moments. That was about 1962 when the military still had some really good medical facilities that were fully staffed.

On the downside, we did not have the well developed cosmetic surgeons of today. The various technologies that make for really good results with male breast reduction surgery did not even exist back then.

You are fortunate to live in a time when surgery is not just available, but safe and effective if a man will take the time to find the right surgeon.

I'm sorry to hear that you bailed out at the last minute on that appointment. You'll not get any help until you are bold inough to ask for it.
Grandpa Dan

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
You are correct -- many doctors do not know much about gynecomastia, except for the name itself.  And most do not know about surgery to improve it.  Some may treat it as a joke and do not understand all the emotional baggage that accompanies gynecomastia.  And yes, many will callously patronize you, pat you on the shoulder and tell you to get on with your life.

Meeting with such a doctor can be off-putting and embarrassing.  That is why, if you are indeed interested in finding some treatment, you should go to an experienced gyne surgeon.  Those offices which treat gynecomastia are most sympathetic and compassionate about the problem.  There will be no ridicule -- only understanding,

Do your research carefully.

Dr Jacobs
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 11:42:39 AM by Dr. Elliot Jacobs »
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

hammer

Paa_Paw and Dr. Elliot, are both right! Dr. Elliot is an just one of the great doctors on this site that is a go to for your surgery and just advice on what to do or how to do it!

While you are in limbo though there are many of us here that are here to also to help you deal with them until you can do something about it. As Paa_Paw said, in his day there wasn't the surgery that there is today, or for other reasons we have learned to deal/live with them.

I'm not saying not to have surgery, just in the mean time, remember, those bumps are nothing but extra fat, breast tissue and skin and it takes much more than that to make the man that you are! So don't let the tissue control you, you be in control!

When you are looking for the doctor to do your surgery be sure to do your homework. Find one the has worked with gynecomastia, and has had plenty of experience. The forum is a great place to start.

Good luck, and welcome, you are among friends!

Bob

Offline McGilli

• Silver Member
I'll just say this.

it took 22 years, for one person to notice your chest.

It might be another 22 before someone else notices.

I know the damage is done, and you'll feel everyone is staring at your chest wherever you go, but they aren't.

I'd say just get to the doctor. I didn't have the nerve until I was 40 to go and tell him. He asked me to take off my shirt. Then he looked, came over and kind of pinched my chest and said yep, you have some gynecomastia would you like to see a surgeon about it?

And here I am 6 months later looking the best I ever have...

Good luck.

Offline tpuk

• Silver Member
I'll just say this.

it took 22 years, for one person to notice your chest.

It might be another 22 before someone else notices.

I know the damage is done, and you'll feel everyone is staring at your chest wherever you go, but they aren't.

I'd say just get to the doctor. I didn't have the nerve until I was 40 to go and tell him. He asked me to take off my shirt. Then he looked, came over and kind of pinched my chest and said yep, you have some gynecomastia would you like to see a surgeon about it?

And here I am 6 months later looking the best I ever have...

Good luck.

Its not about other people noticing for me; it was about me seeing it & feeling massively depressed about it; about choosing clothes I hated - but that functionally hid my chest, about not going for that date with a great girl because she was in good shape & I wasn't - she might well laugh - just like all my best friends did back in school.  Even now, post-op I close my eyes in front of the mirror because looking at myself after a shower used to bring a day of tears & sadness.

Thank god I had this op done & feel alot better about things :)

GL volbeatfan I hope you find something from this forum.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024