Author Topic: Surgery Mr Levick (25/06/14) ONE YEAR UPDATE (including 'gym' pics)  (Read 33658 times)

Offline AchillesUK

• Silver Member
Hi everyone,

I've posted a few times but thought I'd start a thread for my surgery which will be this morning.

Arrived quite early, around 7am, so just waiting in reception.

Feeling a little thirsty and rather anxious!

Havent told anyone about this op, so hope everything goes ok.

Update -

I actually didn't have any intention of posting any pictures on here. But due to the following reasons I have now decided to:

* Having seen how people help and support one another on here, and also a specific quote from the member Donut, where he said something along the lines of even if this helps one person it will be worth it, that inspired me to upload some pictures.

* Not that I have a great physique, but I think I may have trained more than some other members.

* I'm of Asian background, so having a darker skin complexion than most who have posted pictures on here, my bruising may be different to others so this may be of interest for any non-Caucasians who may be reading and are wondering what any bruising/scars may turn out to look like.

BACKGROUND + PRE-OP PICS

So I'm 31 now. I think, unlike most people on here, I've been in denial that I had gynaecomastia. As a kid and teenager I was extremely skinny. Nobody ever pointed out that I had 'boobies' nor was I consciously aware of them. But speaking to Mr Levick, and showing him the following pictures, he said they were probably always there but just less prominent when I was younger.

At around 18 I got sick of all the skinny jokes so took up weight training in the evenings and at University. I've never used steroids (which can cause gynaecomastia) and never will. Protein supplements are pretty much all I've ever taken. Tried creatine couple of times but they didnt work for me.

Pictures from around my late teens/early 20s:

Aged 22: I showed this to Mr Levick and he said even back then I probably had 'puffy nipples', but due to the low body fat it wasnt so prominent.

Here are a couple of side shots, however, and looking back now I realise there was some 'perkiness':

This is probably from my mid or late 20s:

Late 20s - by this time I had received many comments of 'man-boobs' but I just brushed it off convincing myself it was all muscle or that other people were just jealous cos they never trained.

29 years: This is me aged 29, straight after a few sets of chin ups (chin ups tend to get my chest pumped for some reason). It was at times like this I convinced myself that I had no gynaecomastia.

However, on 'bad days', or when I lay off training for a while:

So after reading around on the internet about "pseudogynacomastia" (which doesn't exist by the way), I was determined to banish the manboobs comments (and my compression vests which I was wearing every day by now), by lowering my bodyfat.

Aged 31 (10 months before surgery)

As you can see, I lowered my bodyfat (somewhat), and my abdominals are visible. Yet still both sides of my chest had a 'booby' appearance.

After getting mocked at one final time, I decided enough was enough and booked a consultation with Mr Levick. He told me the three things that I needed to hear:

1. There is no such thing as pseudogynaecomastia
2. That I definitely had gynaecomastia, consisting of both gland and fat.
3. That no amount of exercise or controlling my diet will get rid of the gynaecomastia.

And so we went to surgery...

« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 01:08:11 PM by AchillesUK »

Offline ian89

• Silver Member
You will be fine, you'll be awake before you know it and wondering what all the fuss was about. See you on the other side.

Offline AchillesUK

• Silver Member
Thanks Ian.

Just recovering now.

Operation was over in a flash, although I must admit I felt pretty terrible until about an hour ago (i.e. until 8 hours after surgery). I had lunch but then ended up vomiting it up. Food was lovely but i just wasnt feeling right from the anaesthesia.

Everyone here at Priory has been amazing. Mr Levick of course, the anaesthesist, the catering staff (they even had halal provisions).

Mr Levick was very excited post op, he said "wait till you see the burger shots!"

I can kind of see my chest, doesn't seem to be any bruising, maybe there will be some over next few days but I'm aware full recovery can take up to a year. Just very happy to finally have this op done :)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 09:55:30 AM by AchillesUK »

Offline AchillesUK

• Silver Member
Day 1 post op.

Feel a lot better today, would say about 90% of normal. No pain as such, just some soreness around the underarms.

The garment has slipped off a couple of times, it wasnt put on very tight for me as I had some 'coolant' type tubes put between my chest and garment. But this gave me a chance to look at my chest and so far, very happy. My chest suddenly looks 'broader' with all the perkiness gone.

Since the garment was off momentarily, I took a few pictures:

Felt great on discharge, so used public transport home, even did some shopping on the way at the Bullring. Back home now and relaxing. Cant wait till 6 weeks from now where hopefully I'll see my new chest post recovery.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 08:44:27 AM by AchillesUK »

Offline AchillesUK

• Silver Member
Day 4 Post Op.

Mobility is getting bit better. Still cant extend my arms above my shoulders.

Got some red/blue bruising just under my ribs. Wondering whether to contact Mr Levick about this.

Also finding the binder thing very annoying. Keeps riding down, even if I put it on tight. Woke up this morning and it was below my nipples, which I guess kind of defeats the purpose of it.

I've had a look at my chest when I've had to readjust my binder. It's bumpy and still looks mooby in parts, but I'm not fussed, I dont expect to see anything decent for about a month at least.

If anyone feels the bruising above is worrying please let me know, and I'll contact Mr Levick.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 08:54:26 AM by AchillesUK »

Offline JackY16

• Posting Member
Alright dude, I'm a day behind you in recovery, going through exactly the same as you in terms as the garmet being annoying and it slipping down my chest when I'm asleep, don't think this is too much of a problem as I'm sure it has happened to other people. Plus we wear this thing 24hours a day, plus have you took a shower yet?

I haven't had a look at my chest but I already know it's gonna be lumpy etc post op.

Offline AchillesUK

• Silver Member
Hey Jack. Hope your recovery is going well. Nice to know I'm not the only one struggling with this binder garment thing! I haven't had a shower yet. I know in the booklet thing they give you it does say 2 days but I think Mr Levick said to shower.after a week. I don't know what will be a bigger relief, to get out of this annoying binder or to have a nice long shower! Both equally as good I hope.

Have you already bought your vest? If not, which one are you considering?

I hope the vest experience is better than the binder one. The binder has been digging into my armpits too a bit. I've emailed Mr Levick whether a vest with sleeves such as the following would be suitable, still awaiting a reply:

esshop.co.uk/products/male/zippered-compression-vest-with-arms

I figure if I'm going to live 24/7 in a vest for 3-6 weeks, I may as well be as comfortable as possible!

Offline JackY16

• Posting Member
Yeah it's going fine! Hope yours is going well. I feel a lot more mobile today to be honest but still gonna rest myself until Thursday then maybe get out for a 10min walk or something after on a daily basis.

Yes I have brought my vest, I brought the exact vest Gail told me to buy which was the one without long sleeves, although I have heard they're a lot more comfier with long sleeves I probably made a mistake getting the no sleeve vests.

Yeah me neither I haven't had a shower yet, although I want one so bad! It's gonna be weird when it comes to the time of taking this binder off and seeing our flat chest in the shower. Again today, I woke up with my binder below my nipples, I must move a lot in my sleep hahaa.

Offline AchillesUK

• Silver Member
Yeah it's going fine! Hope yours is going well. I feel a lot more mobile today to be honest but still gonna rest myself until Thursday then maybe get out for a 10min walk or something after on a daily basis.

Yes I have brought my vest, I brought the exact vest Gail told me to buy which was the one without long sleeves, although I have heard they're a lot more comfier with long sleeves I probably made a mistake getting the no sleeve vests.

Yeah me neither I haven't had a shower yet, although I want one so bad! It's gonna be weird when it comes to the time of taking this binder off and seeing our flat chest in the shower. Again today, I woke up with my binder below my nipples, I must move a lot in my sleep hahaa.

Awesome, great to hear your mobility is increasing. As soon as I hear back from Mr Levick's office re long sleeve vest, I'll let you know on here. You obviously havent worn your current vest yet so they should allow you an exchange, maybe just a delivery charge, but for a months worth of comfort/discomfort, it may be worth it.

Yeah I know exactly how you feel about shower, I normally shower at least once a day so it feels a bit horrible not having done so for good few days now! Dont get your hopes up too much of a flat chest at shower time though, as I've had a look at mine a couple of times when readjusting the binder and there seems to be some collections of fluid, even behind the nipples. Personally, I'm not too fussed at this stage, will see how things are after a couple of months.

Do you know whether we get any routine follow up meetings with Mr Levick? I remember him saying to email him with pictures a week from surgery, but cant remember him mentioning any appointments.

Offline JackY16

• Posting Member
Alright dude, and same here I shower daily regularly so it's a killer at the moment! I'm still struggling to lift my arms above my shoulders anyway so it probably wouldn't be so ideal to have a shower! And true say when I lifted my binder up this morning I felt my chest and could feel fluids in there, suppose that'll disappear 4weeks down the line when we only have to wear our vests at night!

What you doing in terms of paracetamols now? Obviously I'm still taking arnica and them capsules but I don't know wether we keep taking the paracetamols? I'm still taking them of course but just a heads up.

Mr Levick just told me I should email him a selfie of my chest in a weeks time and then 3-4weeks  give my chest a massage so I don't think we have to go for a check up.

Offline AchillesUK

• Silver Member
Alright dude, and same here I shower daily regularly so it's a killer at the moment! I'm still struggling to lift my arms above my shoulders anyway so it probably wouldn't be so ideal to have a shower! And true say when I lifted my binder up this morning I felt my chest and could feel fluids in there, suppose that'll disappear 4weeks down the line when we only have to wear our vests at night!

What you doing in terms of paracetamols now? Obviously I'm still taking arnica and them capsules but I don't know wether we keep taking the paracetamols? I'm still taking them of course but just a heads up.

Mr Levick just told me I should email him a selfie of my chest in a weeks time and then 3-4weeks  give my chest a massage so I don't think we have to go for a check up.

Yeah, I dont want to shower and wince in pain every two minutes either. Today is actually the first day where I can actually lift my arms above my shoulders and join them (like a star jump) without any pain. I think you're one day behind me in terms of recovery? So hopefully you should be in same position within the next day or two.

I'm taking the Arnica and the prophylactic antibiotics (to prevent any possible infection), but I've not taken any paracetamol/co-codamol since the surgery. Apparently I even refused it straight after surgery the nurse told me! I have no recollection of that, as the anaesthetic had quite a long after affect on me (8-10 hours). But anyway, I've not actually experienced any pain since discharge, just mild soreness or some twinges when I move too my arms too much. I'd rather feel the pain and know what I shouldnt be doing! But of course if the pain is too much then we should take the pain killers.

It's a lot more important to take the prophylactic antibiotics, to prevent any possible infection. And I guess the Arnica helps with the bruising.

Yeah, Mr Levick gave me the same instructions too, no mention of follow up appointments. Just that reading some other posts on this forum, it seems people have gone back to him, I guess if they have concerns.

Offline JackY16

• Posting Member
Pictures looking good pal! When I take my binder off for my shower on Thursday I'll take a photo and upload it on here, if you tell me how to get it on here haha!

Yeah I'm managing a lot better today, it's just sleeping at the moment it's so horrible not being able to lie down on my side or anything. I've not long took my top off at the moment and I've noticed yellow bruising going from under my armpits along the top of my chest I'm not sure if that is anything to do with the binder but I think it's a good sign that the bruising is coming out?

Also, have you changed your dressing? I did mine earlier and it was probably the only part of this that has been the most painful haha!& really has gone beyond me how Levick manages to get all that tissue and everything out of the gash in your armpit.

Offline AchillesUK

• Silver Member
Pictures looking good pal! When I take my binder off for my shower on Thursday I'll take a photo and upload it on here, if you tell me how to get it on here haha!

Yeah I'm managing a lot better today, it's just sleeping at the moment it's so horrible not being able to lie down on my side or anything. I've not long took my top off at the moment and I've noticed yellow bruising going from under my armpits along the top of my chest I'm not sure if that is anything to do with the binder but I think it's a good sign that the bruising is coming out?

Also, have you changed your dressing? I did mine earlier and it was probably the only part of this that has been the most painful haha!& really has gone beyond me how Levick manages to get all that tissue and everything out of the gash in your armpit.

Thanks for the compliment man. Tbh due to various reasons I had put on quite a bit of weight just before surgery, but now with the moobs gone I'm more determined than ever to get in the best shape of my life.

Good to hear you're improving. Yeah sleeping sucks. I move around a lot during sleep too like you, but obviousy cant at the moment, so keep waking myself up momentarily when I turn in bed! But tbh it's only turning that is causing me the problems. I've been able to sleep on my side since discharge, although I do feel like robocop with arms down my side all the time ha. Last night I also slept on my front for a bit, which Mr Levick had said was no problem.

Bruising - yeah I suspected the binder too. Although reading other posts, there would be some 'natural' bruising over the next few weeks so hopefully nothing to worry about.

Dressings - I had my dressings changed just before discharge, and although the nurse provided some spare, Mr Levick said once the new dressings fall off just to leave it. The dressings fell off a day or two ago (well I had to rip the last part of the tape off - painful!) and I've just left it at that. I never really went out and bought any babywipes (like Mr Levick suggested), so just tried to keep it clean to prevent any infection. Yeah it is amazing how Mr Levick manages to get all that stuff out from such a small incision. So glad went with him, instead of most other surgeons who cut around the areola.

That one week shower cant come soon enough! Btw do you know if its one week from the day of our surgery? Or one week from discharge?

Offline AchillesUK

• Silver Member
I also got a reply from Gail regarding the full sleeve vest inquiry I sent three days ago (after sending another email to prompt them last night). I get the feeling she didnt read my email properly, she just said they've had no other patients complain about the sleeveless vests before. Seems to contradict what I've read on here.

Anyway, I've just ordered the 640 medium white vest (the recommended one). If it does get painful in the armpit area I'll just buy a Nike compression vest or something, although I'd rather not wear 3 layers in this weather if I can help it.

Offline AchillesUK

• Silver Member
Day 6 Post Op

Mobility is better with each day. I've not taken any painkillers since discharge as mentioned in a post above, as I've only experienced mild soreness where the incisions were made. I was able to sleep on my sides and front last night.

Just been trying to rest as much as possible. I'm also fasting at the moment as it is Ramadan, so I dont have too much energy anyway, waiting around for sunset meal anyway. Got a bit woozy whilst praying in Mosque last night (we do long 2 hour prayers in evening during Ramadan, most of which is done standing up).

I've not been exerting myself so havent experienced too much difficulty. The only issue (somewhat) that I've had is driving. I've been driving like a 'real man' all these years i.e. using one hand, but now I'm driving like my mum! I have to shuffle the steering wheel with two hands as you do back in driving lesson days as if I extend my arm too much it causes a bit of pain.

But aside from the driving, it's all good.

Oh the binder - I hate this damn thing. It keeps riding up and down my torso, taking on different shapes. I've suspected its responsible for some of the bruising too. Cant wait for my one week shower (either tomorrow or Thursday) and to get into the 640 vest which should be here by tomorrow. I really, really hope it's a lot more comfortable than this binder garment thing.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024