Author Topic: Didnt Stop smoking and will have surgery in few days.  (Read 2785 times)

Offline nonameplease

Apparently, due to some reasons i need to rush up my gynecomastia surgery and planning to do it in 2 days. For the very first time today i spoke to my plastic surgeon and he is ok with rushing up the process. He asked me to take few blood tests for the sake of surgery. 
I am a chain smoker and didn't quit smoking as of now. With the little bit of research over net i found out, we need to quit smoking atleast 2 to 3 weeks PRE OP. Is it alright if i go with the surgery in few days or should i compulsorily put the surgery on hold. 
I am planning to join a labor intensive work in a month and waiting for their call to join in and that's the reason why i want to rush up the process, I am having trouble planning up the whole schedule.
Would really appreciate your help and advice.
Thank you

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
It should be OK -- not great, but OK.

There are some plastic surgical procedures, such as a facelift, where smoking is absolutely forbidden.

Speak to your surgeon for the final go-ahead.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline nonameplease

It should be OK -- not great, but OK.

There are some plastic surgical procedures, such as a facelift, where smoking is absolutely forbidden.

Speak to your surgeon for the final go-ahead.

Dr Jacobs

Thanks for the advise Dr Jacobs. I will be meeting my surgeon tomorrow, will update with the situation.

Offline MarkLyon

We have people that are telling patients to keep smoking because it's dangerous to quit, added Warner, who wasn't involved in the new research.It's not only wrong but it has real practical implications.
Doctors say that surgery presents a unique opportunity to get smokers to quit for the long run. After all, for every surgery there's a certain window during which it is impossible for patients to light up.
But while researchers agree that encouraging patients to quit more than two months before their operation is both safe and can cut down on the risk of surgery complications, the effect of quitting within that two-month window has been more controversial.

http://www.openingtimesuk.com/groups/booths/
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 01:53:09 AM by MarkLyon »

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I am unaware of any studies which show that it is dangerous to quit smoking -- it is perhaps the best thing that one can do for one's overall health.

Obviously, one may substitute eating for smoking and hence gain some weight -- but although this is not great, it sure beats the long term ill effects of smoking.

Dr Jacobs

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024