Author Topic: Finally asked for help in regards to my Gynecomastia - information please :)  (Read 4775 times)

Offline Facili

• Posting Member
Hi there,

I've been suffering from Gynecomastia for a large portion of my life and have finally reached a point where the depression, confidence related issues, and other issues put me in a place where I needed to do something if I want to improve my quality of life and do something with it, rather than being too scared to put myself under potential scrutiny.

I asked for help from the only person I could, and they want to help me in anyway they can. I used to be fairly up to date with gynecomastia back in 2005-2007 when I was intending on getting surgery, but I stayed away from it over the past few years as I was not able to do anything about it and it was very depressing knowing that the only thing that was separating me from happiness was a few thousand dollars.

I'm a 24 year old Canadian. Specifically, I live in the Maritimes. I remember looking into Dr. Fielding in Toronto a very long time ago, but not sure if there has been any new advancements in surgery, or any new surgeons within Canada to look into.

I'm also under a time constraint to be able to get this done. I have only a few months of relatively free time before things put me in a position where I won't be able to get it done.

I'm going to be asked later on today for more information such as financial implications, surgeons, cost of medications, recovery time and things of that nature. How have things changed in the past few years? Any recommendations based on personal experience/knowledge? Any recommended surgeons within Canada?

Thanks, and I really appreciate you taking the time to read my post and maybe offer some help or advice.

Offline Facili

• Posting Member
I just received an e-mail asking me for some info and I have a distinct lack of it! Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Facili

• Posting Member
Is this the proper forum for this? Or is there a different forum people would recommend I post this in for some discussion.

Offline hypo123

• Posting Member
Hey man, this forum is fine for this question as far as I know.  The reason you may have not gotten responses is because many of us are not familiar with Canadian doctors.

From what i've read around this forum, Dr Fielding seems to be one of the best in Canada.  Other than him I know of no others.  There are also a few experts in the US, particularly in the northeast.

I am not a doctor, but I don't believe that there have been any major advancements in the procedure in the last few years.  I think it's pretty much the same surgery, although the surgeons have gained even more experience. 

As far as cost goes:  All of the top gyno surgeons in the US seem to charge $6000 and up.  I know it can be done for way cheaper but in my opinion you get what you pay for. 

There are no medications required specifically for the surgery.  The only exception being if you have some kind of complication and need anti-biotics or something. 

Recovery time varies from person to person.  I took 2 weeks off of work due to the physical nature of my job (lots of running around, moderate lifting, etc).  I started working out (push ups and pull ups) roughly 6 weeks after my surgery.  It's best not to rush into anything, especially in the first month or so.

As far as being fully recovered to the point of seeing your final results, it can take up to 6 months or longer for scar tissue to subside. 

Hope this helps

Offline Facili

• Posting Member
I appreciate the reply! Yeah, it's entirely possible that the majority of people can't really discuss Canadian doctors so that could put a damper on things. I haven't replied to that e-mail yet because of my lack of information so I'm hoping there's some Canadians here that can maybe put me in the right direction.

Offline cduub

• Silver Member
Go to the home page and scroll down to LOCAL FORUMS/FIND SURGEONS IN YOUR AREA,and you will see a canada section forum. Theres tons of info as well as Dr.in canada! Hope this helps.

bluenose

Another maritimer!
There are a couple of surgeons in Halifax - Dr. Richard Bendor-Samuel and Dr. Boileau.  They both do gynecomastia surgery and are board certified plastic surgeons.  I have gone to consultations with both and they seem competent.  Just google "landings surgery" to find their website.

I am considering going there to have my gyne removed sometime this Spring, but am still sort of on the fence about it.

Good luck with this!  

Offline Facili

• Posting Member
Another maritimer!
There are a couple of surgeons in Halifax - Dr. Richard Bendor-Samuel and Dr. Boileau.  They both do gynecomastia surgery and are board certified plastic surgeons.  I have gone to consultations with both and they seem competent.  Just google "landings surgery" to find their website.

I am considering going there to have my gyne removed sometime this Spring, but am still sort of on the fence about it.

Good luck with this!  

Yup! Another Maritimer!

Curiously, how much were you quoted? I read a tiny bit on  Dr. Boileau and it seems to be that excision is rarely recommended. I'm absolutely 100% positive that excision is required in my case though.

Offline Alchemist

• Gold Member
Another maritimer!

Good luck with this!  

A believer in ferries I see.

bluenose

I was quoted at $5600 for UAL (Ultrasonic Lipo) under General Anesthesia.  My case is mild, and after reading this forum I questioned whether Lipo was the right way to go(plenty of people unhappy with just Lipo), so I went for a second consultation with Dr. Richard Bendor-Samuel.  Dr. Bendor-Samuel put my mind at ease, explaining how lipo applied to my case, and that if gland needed to be removed, he would remove it with an excision around the bottom of the aereola.
  Dr. Boileau rushed me in and out of the consult, whereas Dr. Bendor-Samuel answered all of my questions and showed me pictures of his work (that were comparable to my case).  So if (when) I book this, I'm going to go with Dr. Bendor-Samuel.

Offline xelnaga13

An added benefit to gland removal is getting rid of all that estrogen receptive tissue. Regrowth will always be a possibility even with gland removal, but removing the gland will at least impede progress more than leaving the gland in.

Offline Facili

• Posting Member
I'm 100% positive my specific case will require gland removal so I'm not too concerned. If the surgeon does not recommend it (which I'm positive won't be the case) I will just go to a surgeon who will.

I'm in average health/weight and I have a 50 inch chest. Enough said lol.

I really wanted to find out some information from Dr. Fielding in Toronto but they seem to only have a phone number for contact purposes. Does anyone know if there is a contact e-mail? Due to the sensitive nature of the discussion and my lack of privacy, I would highly prefer to discuss this via e-mail with them if possible, or at least some general information.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024