Author Topic: Doctor Wrong?  (Read 1906 times)

Offline ILfilmmasta

Hi everyone. I'm 18 years old and I'm going into Senior year of H.S. I never thought I would be writing something on this website but I'm just sick of sitting here wondering what to do about myself and I have literally no one to talk to about this situation.
I was (and still am) convinced that i had gynecomastia and so i made up some b.s lie to go to the doctor (so my mom wouldnt know) and  I asked him if I had it. He asked about 2 questions and felt around and then said I didn't have it. I guess it should have made me happy but it didnt. I figured if it was gynecomastia then i could have surgery and it would be gone forever but since he said it wasn't gyne, I have no idea what to do.

I am almost positive I have it and it pisses me off that he didnt take a closer look! I have puffy nipples, I am skinny (scrawny most ppl say) except for my lower chest area which sticks out and then my nipples help the embaressment factor by being puffy. What the hell could that be if not gynecomastia??  

Anyway, the point of this was to ask anyone if the doctor could be wrong. I mean I've seen the statistics of men who have gyne and it makes me wonder if the doctor just said that becuase he wants me to suck it up. I just don't know what to do. I don't want to argue with a doctor. So if there's anyone out there who has had a doctor say you didn't have gyne, and then you really did, I would really really really like to hear your story and how you handled it. I am in desperate need here. Im sick of not being able to f*cking walk around without wondering if they are sticking out and I'm f*cking sick of making up goddamn excuses to my friends why I can't go swimming with them.

Please! Help me.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
A Doctor makes very little money by telling you that you have nothing wrong. He stands to make more money by stringing you along with expensive Lab work and numerous follow-up visits etc.

In spite of that, Yes, He could be wrong.  What you need is a second opinion. This would preferably be with a Doctor not directly associated with your regular family Doctor.  Since you mention related problems with social withdrawal - Isolation, embarassment etc., A good choice for this second opinion might be a Psychologist. A good psychologist could not only help you deal with those emotional issues, but make referrals to other specialties such as an Endocrinologist or Cosmetic Surgeon as your condition warrants.

Good Luck.
Grandpa Dan

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
he also stands a greater chance of being wrong if he knows little about gyne, as many of them do.  the assumption is, if he doesn't know about it, there must not be anything to know.  and it's tough being a general practitioner, because there's so much more not to know, so maybe sometime later you can help bring him up to speed.  but yes, puffies point to gyne.  
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

Offline ILfilmmasta

Alright thanks for the input. I think I may try a different doctor. thanks again.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024