Author Topic: If you have true gyno, don’t just get liposuction! Mistake made!  (Read 1773 times)

Offline Eaf9988

Hey everyone, I just want share my journey with gynecomastia with you. I’ve always been athletic and relatively fit.  I competed in both track and basketball. Unfortunately, I developed gynecomastia when I was in high school (via puberty). No matter how fit I was, my chest still looked feminine with puffy nipples. I’ve done everything from wearing bigger clothes to covering my nipples with tape (not a good idea). I also took my doctors advice and waited until puberty was over. As each college year went by, I got more and more depressed about it. I even gave up working out. For some strange reason, I thought if I got a little chubbier around the rest of my body, the puffy nipples would be less of a focal point. I honestly thought being chubby was better than fit with a feminine chest.

Even after college and with a job, it was difficult to put gynecomastia surgery at the top of my list of priorities.  I had a mortgage, other bills, and a wedding to plan. By the way, my wife is the real MVP.  Her love for me definitely made me feel a bit more confident about my gynecomastia.

Fast forward to 2 years ago (at 27 years old), I finally had enough extra money to fix my gynecomastia!  So, I went to a surgeon in California for a consultation. I decided to go with him because he was very professional, and he has a pretty good reputation in the cosmetic surgery industry. Strangely, he told me that I did not have gynecomastia, but I had pseudogynecomastia. And if I had any gland, it would be small enough for the liposuction cannula to destroy. Although I did gain fat around the chest from lack of exercise, I knew that it was gland gynecomastia because it came from puberty and my nipples were always sensitive.

I gave my own opinion, but the surgeon insisted that I only needed liposuction.  I trusted his expert opinion because I’m no surgeon. Damn, what a huge mistake that was! I was under local anesthesia and he made incisions near my arm pits.  He began liposuction around my chest, and it took about 2 hours.  My chest looked immediately better, but the puffy nipples were still there! He kept telling me it was just swelling. As my chest healed month after month, the puffy nipples remained.

So $5,000 and 20 months later, my puffy nipples are more visible than ever and I still feel gland behind my nipples.  I even went on a strict diet and began working out again. I’m at the best physical shape I’ve ever been. However, lowering my body fat percentage has made my puffy nipples even worse.

I’m no doctor, so I can’t give medical advice. However, I really really recommend those who have gynecomastia to find a surgeon that specializes in gynecomastia. Even then, get multiple opinions. Especially if the surgeon says you don’t need to remove any gland and only need lipo.

I’m currently searching for a new surgeon to help revise my chest and remove the glands for me.  I will keep everyone posted on my search and future results. Man, I just really want this nightmare to be over. Again, I can’t stress enough how important it is to get multiple opinions and to get the gland excision!! I guess I can’t speak for everyone, because maybe only lipo works for you. But after my unsuccessful procedure and remembering all the other similar stories on this website, I’m really kicking myself in the ass for this.

Sorry for typos and poor grammar.  I’m literally typing this on my phone, and in a waiting room waiting for revision surgery consultation. Gynecomastia is a real nightmare for men. I am going through way too much mentally with this, and I would never want anyone else to go through this. I really hope this helps any of y’all on this website.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Thanks for sharing your story.  Hope your second go-around works out better for you.

I think your story should serve readers of this forum well:  be careful when a surgeon says he can do everything with lipo alone.  And if you have the slightest uncertainty about it, then take the time to secure another opinion, hopefully from a gyne expert.  
Remember, this is elective surgery -- there is no rush.  Choose your surgeon carefully so that you can get the procedure done right the first time.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024