Author Topic: What should I be eating post op?  (Read 3916 times)

Offline michaelmorey

• Bronze Member
Hi Guys,

I've looked through the diet and nutrition area, but that seems to concentrate on people who have not yet had the surgery, and are trying to control/improve gyne. But my question is,
what should I be eating (or avoiding) post op? I want to assist the lymph system, reduce scarring and swelling, increase muscle repair.. any foods, vitamins supplements (multivitamins, or specific ones), herbal teas, nutients you can recommend to take and avoid?

Also, in order to boost protein intake, do you think supplements like promax are good to take? (I'm about 8 days post, in pretty decent shape, but have not returned to the gym)...or do you think taking that would increase the likelyhood of the gyne returning?

Thanks guys

GynO_DuDe

I took no supplements ...

Pretty simple idea is to eat plenty of fruits, pasta and limit your intake in junk food.

Thats probably the best diet you can do ... and the cheapest!

Offline dcvet

• Silver Member
I took no supplements ...

Pretty simple idea is to eat plenty of fruits, pasta and limit your intake in junk food.

Thats probably the best diet you can do ... and the cheapest!

This is FAR from the best diet you can do.  Fruits and Pasta offer ZERO protien, which is critical in the rebulding of body tissue.  Drop the pasta as it's useless starchy carbs, or at the very least substitue with whole wheat.   Lot's of protein, minimal sugar, fruits and veggies, healthy fats, multi vit, vitamin C, etc Drink tons of water too!

Offline Blue2

• Silver Member
I'd agree with that! Plenty of protein, water and natural vits and mins from fruit and veg. A good multi vit/min supplement can also be beneficial. Just common sense really. I have decided to go low carbs whilst not training to minimize weight gain. Quality calories from a rich protein source such as a protein shake is also a good dietry supplement. Eat plenty of chicken, fish, turkey (skinless) as these are about the leanest meats you can get! Broccoli is about the best green veg you can eat so pack it in! You can always lightly brush the meat with a little olive oil prior to grilling to keep it moist without adding too many unnecessary, and empty calories. It is also advisable to stay away from alcohol and cigarette smoke as these will hamper your recovery no end. Kiwi fruits pack about as much vit C as any other fruit and make a tasty snack!
Surgery: 18/03/08
Plastic surgeon: Alex Karidis

Offline Noseguard

• Silver Member
  • You t*t, what's he gonna do nibble your bum?
Great question about post op diet.

I think I know what to eat as Blue2 stated.

Good Carbs
Low Fat
High Protein
Tons of Veggies

No Sugar
No White Pasta or Rice

My concern is the total calories.  Without exercise I think I may have to drop my caloric intake to about 1500 calories so I don't put on weight during recovery.

Surgery next week.

Offline Twin Peaks

• Silver Member
It might be wise to stay away from vitamin E during the first few days post-op due to its blood-thinnning properties.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024