Author Topic: Compression Vest or Under Armour?  (Read 4029 times)

Offline cricardo

• Posting Member
I just had my surgery last Friday the 17th. My doctor had me start wearing Under Armour the day after, no compression vest.  I'm wondering if this will have any impact on my recovery or end result?  I notice every single doctor advises to wear a full compression vest for at least two weeks after surgery. Is the fact I am simply wearing Under Armour going to have an effect?  I have a slight rash from the material, and I also have started noticing some swelling going back under my arms (I had liposuction there). Is this because of lack of compression?  Should I get a proper compression vest?  Is it too late?
Immediately after the surgery everything was flat.  I had very little drainage. Now everything seems to be puffing up again. I gather this is pretty normal from other posts, but how long before it goes away??

Offline latediagnosis

• Silver Member
Swelling after the surgery is normal like you said. However doctors recommend the compression vest as it keeps its size/compression a lot better than various sports compression, they're also easier to take on/off with the zips on the front, meaning you don't have to lift your arms as high etc. I suggest talking to your surgeon and asking why he didn't initially recommend the compression vest and go from there.

DrBermant

I just had my surgery last Friday the 17th. My doctor had me start wearing Under Armour the day after, no compression vest.  I'm wondering if this will have any impact on my recovery or end result?  I notice every single doctor advises to wear a full compression vest for at least two weeks after surgery. Is the fact I am simply wearing Under Armour going to have an effect?  I have a slight rash from the material, and I also have started noticing some swelling going back under my arms (I had liposuction there). Is this because of lack of compression?  Should I get a proper compression vest?  Is it too late?
Immediately after the surgery everything was flat.  I had very little drainage. Now everything seems to be puffing up again. I gather this is pretty normal from other posts, but how long before it goes away??

Each doctor has his / her own techniques.  For my patients, peak swelling typically occurs at the time of surgery.  You can see my usual Swelling and Bruising After Gynecomastia Surgery on that page and follow to many other links on my website.  Most doctors do not post early results.

I fit each of my patients before their operation with their After Gynecomastia Compression Vest which is an important factor in such results.  Switching to these garments after surgery may or may not work, but fitting them is so much safer before surgery. 

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024