Author Topic: DOC - When to start massaging ?  (Read 3182 times)

Offline sufferingtolong

• Posting Member
I'm 3.5 weeks post op , most of my scab have fallen off from incision , the wound has healed nicely

I have some visible scaring around the nipple and what i assume is internal scar tissue

When i left my arms up my chest feels like its restricted , i assume that this may be scarr tissue attaching itself.

So my question is . 

1) when do I start massaging
2) Where to massage
3) how to massage
4) is the use of bio oil / Vitamin E oil  recommended

Cheers

Offline mellofella3456

Offline thezombie

• Bronze Member
my docs advised me to get no massage for like 4 weeks.. and then  a massage every alternate day for 2 weeks.
and the massage should be relaxation massage.. not theraupetic
====================================================================
My Before and After :
https://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=21866.msg148419#msg148419
====================================================================

Offline Fatboyslim

• Bronze Member
    • Running For My Existence
I am 2.5 weeks out of surgery and I just asked my doctor this exact question about an hour ago.

He told me that I can start massaging my chest now (he actually said after ~2 weeks). He suggested the best way is to do it is while taking a shower, lifting the left arm up and massaging with the right hand trying to smooth out any "irregularities" that may exist from under the arm to the front of the chest. Then do the opposite side.

BTW, I also asked him if I should be using any type of lotion (ie arnica gel, etc) and he said it really wasn't necessary at this point.

It is important to note that this is just my doctor's opinion and everyone's doctor and situation is going to be different. Personally I read what is written on this forum, ask my doctor specifically what I have read and his opinion on it. Since he operated on me and has significant experience in this type of specialized surgery (which for me was the most important factor in choosing him), I trust his opinion.

Unfortunately I don't think there is ever going to be a "one size fits all" answer. Maybe take an average!  ;D     

Offline dannyboy740

• Posting Member
Zombie...isn't relaxation massage theraputic anyway? ???

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Every surgeon has his own ideas and methods which work for him.  There are no black/white answers to your question.  In addition, every case heals at a different rate -- so you just cannot pick a date based on the majority of doctors opinions on this forum.

Best is to have your own surgeon examine you and assess whether any massage would be useful at this time.  Sometimes massage just isn't necessary at all!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline gynomanc

Hi, I have a firmish lump on my left side under the skin where the lipo instrument was used. Will massage help this or is it just the scars i should be massaging. Thanks

Offline thezombie

• Bronze Member
i wud say dun massage yet..
i m 15 days post op today ..and I had lip under the armpit area as well
i did feel the lump as well. but as days go by the lump feeling keeps on fading..and its getting normal
make sure  u have the compression vest -- that will really help in healing..massaging at this stage will be painful i'd say..cuz the area has gone thru trauma and is sore..wait till like 4-5 weeks and then start soft massages..

Offline thezombie

• Bronze Member
dannyboy:

the difference between these two types of massage is that relaxation massage is intended to relax and sooth the client’s whole being rather than treat a particular condition. Relaxation massage often includes more soothing strokes that help to ease the nervous system and provide an overall sense of calm.

A relaxation massage is a rather straightforward session using classic Swedish massage techniques. The massage therapist will use light to medium pressure, depending on the client’s preference, and the intent of the session is to help the client relax. This type of massage is often performed in a day spa or resort. Spa add-on treatments might include a paraffin hand treatment, a sea salt or sugar body scrub, or a mud or cream application to the body.

Therapeutic massage, like that of deep tissue, is intended to affect the function and structure of the body and will focus more on particular conditions and areas of the body.therapeutic massage sessions are setup quite differently from a spa massage. The setting may be a clinic, hospital or private practice office. A first time client may spend extra time at his or her session to complete a very thorough intake form detailing current and past health complaints. This type of session may retain a large relaxation element to it but advanced techniques are likely to be used for pain and chronic health issues. A therapeutic or clinical massage practitioner will see a client very frequently for the first few weeks or months. This might include half hour massages three times a week, or weekly hour massages for a couple of months. Advanced techniques such as deep tissue massage and trigger point therapy may be used in a more clinical setting.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024