Author Topic: Question about Kenalog Injection Post Surgery. Please Help!  (Read 4915 times)

Offline SJV9009

• Posting Member
I had surgery about 16 months ago and had the glands removed. Results were somewhat satisfactory to be, except for the fact that my right side continues to feel hard underneath the nipple (most likely due to scar tissue). Has anyone had a similar experience with scar tissue and if so do Kenalog injections work as a long term solution to rid of scar tissue and reduce that hardness?  If so, how long does it last and is this the best option as opposed to additional surgery. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline MEND1

• Posting Member
I had some scar tissue issues, PS treated w/ Kenaloug shots. Definitely worked, think I still need 1 more shot on each side (had 2 shots on one side, and one shot on the other). Think you need to confirm your Plastic Surgeons skill w/ this type of treatment, not a routine deal.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
In my practice, Kenalog is a powerful friend to help reduce post-operative scar tissue.  The timing for the injection, its use (dose, manner of injection, etc) need to be addressed by an expert gyne surgeon.  Once the scar tissue is reduced by Kenalog, it does not return.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline JamesDawson

• Bronze Member
In my practice, Kenalog is a powerful friend to help reduce post-operative scar tissue.  The timing for the injection, its use (dose, manner of injection, etc) need to be addressed by an expert gyne surgeon.  Once the scar tissue is reduced by Kenalog, it does not return.

Dr Jacobs

Do you have any pictures of scar tissue after gyne surgery?? I tried several sites but couldn't find any clear examples, when would personally give kenalog injections to a patient if they wanted it?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
You really can't take pictures of scar tissue -- it is something that you feel.

At other times, there may be a slight elevation of the areolar area -- Kenalog can help to settle it down and make it flat.  I never bother taking photos of these -- what counts is the final result.  That is when I take post-op photos.

The use of Kenalog is truly up to the surgeon -- not to the demands of the patient.  Kenalog will not work on residual gland.  Thus, the doctor has to know what was done during surgery in order to determine if a patient really is a candidate for Kenalog treatment.

Dr Jacobs

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024