Author Topic: swelling 6 weeks post op & working out  (Read 5024 times)

Offline seth_warrior

• Posting Member
I had the surgery on august 5th. The first 2 weeks felt good and slowly the swelling went up .I feel that certain spots do poke out in certain t-shirts(avoiding that was the main goal of my surgery for me). I worked out my chest (with light weights) after exactly 4 weeks and felt that the swelling is increasing. So now i am kinda hesitant to go back to the gym .I am massaging and feel like waiting for 2 months before hitting the weights again. Whats the general time for complete swelling to go down and should i work out my chest despite the swelling?

Offline Bob_Boob

• Posting Member
I was cleared without any restrictions to continue working out again after 6 weeks. I already started a week before with light weights, then progressively got back to normal after I was cleared. I still had swelling even when I was cleared so I think you should be alright. Even now I still have a little bit of swelling and I'm about 2.5 months post op. It goes down with time.

Offline seth_warrior

• Posting Member
But when i lift my hand above my head and try to do exercises like overhead tricep extensions and shoulder presses  i feel a stretch of my skin in my lower chest. I  am afraid that stretching will slow down the healing process..

Offline Cpnh78

• Posting Member
I had my surgery Aug 9. I was cleared to hit the gym after 2 weeks and to build  up lightly. I did that and definitely noticed the swelling increased.  Honestly man, go to he gym, just do what feels right and if something doesn't feel right, don't do it

Offline wj74

• Posting Member
I started working out 4 weeks post op w my compression vest on.  I got some puffy nipples back and a lot of swelling across the entire pec.  I was on a mission tho and worked out like a mofo - still do.  My nipples are a little saggy right now, my surgeon mentioned he might have to perform a minor surgery to get rid of some excess skin but to give it more time. But the swelling in my pecs and armpits is almost completely gone.  Their pretty rock hard right now which is great - a lot of work but great.  I'm 5 months post op BTW.

The sensations you describe OP is exactly what I felt too.  Stretching, burning, odd feelings.  I still get that but seldom and very minor.  The worst was lat pull-downs.  If your healing curve is similar to mine, you'll be just fine.  You're building muscle underneath all that swelling, so as the swelling goes down you'll be impressed with yourself!  Plus working out your chest drastically improves your contour.

Oddly, I have boobs again...lol...except this time the ladies like them!  (to clarify they're now called defined pecs). 

Offline seth_warrior

• Posting Member
Does anyone else have an opinion on this?

Offline blueinokc

• Posting Member
Rule of thumb is 6 weeks, my doc gave me all clear on my two week post op. But I am still going to wait to give the skin a chance to shrink. If you are still in compression vests or wraps I would take them off for atleast 24 hours and see what happens. Mine was very badly pushed in and I stopped wearing for a while and it popped out, scab from incision fell off in my sleep and bruising is going down.

Offline Poobs

• Posting Member
My doctor advised me six weeks. Although I was gasping to get back training sooner than that because I could see myself losing muscle, to be honest it took me around 6 weeks anyway before my chest felt fine to train. Even other upper body parts felt like at least 4 weeks in they couldn't be trained because of the position they put the chest in.

Offline seth_warrior

• Posting Member
It is kinda hard to accept the fact that the first week the chest looked flat and then from the second week it is kinda back to the old size .The doctor has prescribed THROMOPHOB cream for massage. I am 8 weeks post op now. Still swelling persists. Also the fat from the underarms and upper chest are prominent. Does it get better after 3 months as some have claimed?

Offline Holysin

• Posting Member
It is kinda hard to accept the fact that the first week the chest looked flat and then from the second week it is kinda back to the old size .The doctor has prescribed THROMOPHOB cream for massage. I am 8 weeks post op now. Still swelling persists. Also the fat from the underarms and upper chest are prominent. Does it get better after 3 months as some have claimed?
    I have exactly the same problem as you do.I am 5 to 6 weeks post-op and i feel like my chest looks exactly like it used to look before the surgery.There are some changes but i still feel something under my nipple and under that area.Unfortunetely i don't know if there is still gland or only scare tissues which gives the similar look like pre-op.The thing that upsets me is that my chest is not flat and it can still be noticed while wearing a tight t-shirt.

Offline seth_warrior

• Posting Member
Similar situation ordered a good t-shirt which is suppose to look good on me now after the surgery, But still getting stares on the street with certain types of t-shirts. Sick of always wearing baggy or darker colored tshirts.

Offline blueinokc

• Posting Member
With the thing you feel, I think its scar tissue. I have a lump next to the end of the incision that is very tender. With the stretching I feel it as well. My doctor said the sutures dissolve in 6 months. So at that time, Ill begin to worry.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024