Author Topic: Excision only for Puffy alveolars?  (Read 3355 times)

Offline David3686

• Posting Member
A lot of people on this board seem to think this is a mistake. I just had my consultation today and opted this method. Should I not go through with it? I think I do have a very mild case of gyne, but I actually like it bc it makes my chest look bigger. However I don't wanna get this surgery if it doesnt work?

Any success stories of excision only for puffy alveolars?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 09:42:55 PM by David3686 »

Offline David3686

• Posting Member

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Puffy nipples indicates the presence of breast tissue directly under the areolas.  Sometimes, due to stimulation, cold temps, etc, they may look temporarily better -- but then the tissues relax and the puffiness returns.

The only treatment for puffy nipples is surgery.  Inexperienced surgeons may think that they can just remove some tissue below the areola and that's it.  Not true!  This can be a tricky operation -- and most of the time it requires liposuction of the surrounding tissues as well to prevent a crater deformity and also to allow for the surrounding skin to re-drape and redistribute.  Beware of any surgeon who cavalierly says he will just take a little bit of tissue out from under the areola and that will fix the problem -- it won't!

Dr Jacobs

Dr Jac
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline David3686

• Posting Member
Thank you for the response, Dr. Elliot

Just to make sure I understand, in no circumstance would you recommend or perform surgery for alveolar reduction without the use of liposuction? I think this just seems weird to me bc i have an athletic build, low body fat, and only 180 lbs. So being told i need lipo seems crazy, to me seems crazy. Also, I have been told that my case of gyne is very mild. But regardless, would you recommended lipo? Are there any other alternatives?

I said in my previous post, I wanted to avoid the lipo because the gyne in my breast makes my chest look bigger. I think the real reason may be that I'm afraid that they operation may also take away some muscle in my chest. Is this a possibility? 

Thanks

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
My reply was a general discussion of treatment of puffy nipples.  It was not directed as personal recommendations for you in particular.

There are times when I will treat puffy nipples with excision and then use the liposuction cannula, without suction, merely to help redistribute the surrounding skin.  I am not removing fat in these instances.  Many times, however, just a little bit of liposuction to remove surrounding fat and re-distribute the skin is helpful in providing a trim, taut, "cut and ripped" contour.

The only time muscle is removed or injured is if the surgeon is inexperienced in performing the procedure.

Every case is individual -- that is why you should consult with an experienced gyne surgeon.

Good luck!

Dr Jacobs

Offline smith1960

• Posting Member
The only treatment for puffy nipples is surgery.  Inexperienced surgeons may think that they can just remove some tissue below the areola and that's it.  Not true!  This can be a tricky operation -- and most of the time it requires liposuction of the surrounding tissues as well to prevent a crater deformity and also to allow for the surrounding skin to re-drape and redistribute.  Beware of any surgeon who cavalierly says he will just take a little bit of tissue out from under the areola and that will fix the problem -- it won't!

Dr Jacobs

Dr Jac

Sorry to steal your post David but this was exactly what I was looking for when I posted my thread in the "gyne talk" section. I spoke with a doctor about two weeks ago and he told me that the procedure was going to be almost exactly as Dr. Elliot Jacobs just mentioned was a very incorrect method on dealing with this problem. I will probably be looking for a new doctor soon... :/

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024