Author Topic: workout - lifting  (Read 2075 times)

Offline desi

• Gold Member
Its been about 4 weeks from a revision lipo on my abdomen removed 500 cc of fluid of which about 250 cc was fat. I started working out 2 weeks after the surgery that includes pushups, light lifting (not more than 20lbs) and chair assisted pull ups and crunches (slow and light).

i havent felt any discomfort, but i am taking it easy. i just read there could be possibilities of seroma formation, my quesiton is did i start too early or have i messed somehting up? does the overall final result get affected if u start working out too early?

anxious! pls let me know.....

thank you!!
Formerly, 'Fattgayee', as in 'Torn Apart' or more so 'I am Screwed' :)

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
The questions you pose are properly answer by your own surgeon, who would know exactly what was done and can make suitable recommendations.

In my own practice, whether it is gyne surgery or lipo elsewhere, I usually recommend no strenuous exercise for at least four weeks after the operation.

Best to ask your surgeon specifically about your case.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
As Dr. Jacobs suggested, the best person to ask about how to proceed is your surgeon. In my practice, I allow patients to start cardio in a week and resistance training in two weeks.  I do that, in part, because I deal with a lot of patients who might be classified as exercise addicts, and I have found that by guiding them through a resumption of exercise focusing on their specific surgery and training program, I can avoid complications.  Undoubtedly, if I told them to take four to six weeks off, they'd be back in the gym two days after surgery, whereas, if I'm very specific about what they can and can't do, they follow my instructions.  Approaching things this way, I have never had a late complication such as a seroma or hematoma following gynecomastia surgery.  
I outline my approach on my website (under "Getting Back to Training").  Feel free to share that with your surgeon, but be sure to follow his or her instructions.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery