Author Topic: Fielding Surgery - 2 Days Post Op - My Full Story - LONG  (Read 6657 times)

Offline dcvet

• Silver Member
OK, I guess this post could be in a few different categories... Canada, Surgery Experiences, My Story etc... so I decided to just put it in general  ;D

A bit of background

I'm 30 years old and have had mild/moderate Gyno since I was a teenager.  My brother had it, and my dad even had it slightly.  I've been weight training on and off since I was 15 years old, and at one point was considering doing a local contest.  I've had my body fat % down to under 7% and the gyno was still noticable.  There was substantially less fat in the area than when my bodyfat was higher, but while being very lean I would have a visible six pack even with veins showing in my abdomen, but still fat on my chest, with puffy/pointy sticking out nipples/areolas; very discouraging after working so hard to achieve a great physique.

I wasnt made fun of too much but I do remember a couple of times where someone would comment about it. While I wasnt scared to take my shirt off when I was leaner, I would still often pinch my nipples to get them hard so that the visibility of the gyno would be minimal.  It did however totally determine and restrict what type of shirts that I would wear.  Never light coloured and thin shirts. Even in thicker shirts it would look like my nipples were sticking out because of THO.  Now I prefered that someone think that I had constant THO's then gyno.  Honestly, throughout my life I had blocked out the gyno as best as I could, and i didnt think about the restrictions it put on me...  I downplayed it quite a bit.  Only now do I realize that it had a pretty big impact on my life. The few comments that were made DID impact me even though I had thought that I ignored them.

In the past two years I've tried a few meds to help me get rid of the gyno.  First of all, I should also mention that I did steroids last year, but they did not affect the gyno whatsoever, probably because I did the cycle properly and used an aromatase inhibitor (reducing the amount of estrogen your body produces).  And these were the meds that I've tried to get rid of the gyno even while not doing steroids.  Nolvadex(Tomaxofen) was the first I tried and it did not have any affect on me.  After that I tried Arimidex which actually made the gland a bit smaller and caused a little drop in water, therfore reducing the amount of "fat" around the nipple area - but when I went off of the arimidex, it went back to the way it was.  Finally I tried Aromasin which is somewhat similar to Arimidex and pretty much did the same thing.  So I guess my point is, while some of these AI's did help, they did not get rid of the problem (* Just a quick note to steroid users:  These AI's DO prevent you from getting gyno if you do not have it before your cycle and are extrememly beneficial).

I've also tried some topical fat burners which contained yohimbine, and while I did see some different while using them, I did not stay using them long enough to comment too much about their efficiency

A few years back I remember coming to this site and getting a lot of information about the surgery.  At that point I told myself that I would try all other options before considering the surgery.  So after trying almost everything else, I stumbled upon the site again about 2 months ago.  After reading for a couple days, I made up my mind that I would get the surgery done by Doctor Fielding in Toronto ( I live in Windsor, Ontario about 3.5 hours drive west of Toronto).

From the initial call to surgery

I called Dr. Fielding's office in mid august to arrange a consultation.  My consultation was scheduled for September 10th, however because of some unexpected matters at work, I had to reschedule.  The soonest available date for consult was October 1st.

October first I drove to Toronto for the consult.  I found Dr. Fielding to be very pleasant and he seemed to be quite knowledgable about Gynecomastia. This wasnt not surprising since he does 2 - 3 hundred gyno surgeries per year.  After we talked, he sent me out to talk to his assistant to schedule the surgery.  I tell her that I'd like to get booked in ASAP and to look for some cancellation for me.  Lucky me, she found and opening for October 24th, only 3 weeks!!  Of course I take it!!

Three weeks go by fast!!

I drove to Toronto the night before and stayed at the Four Points by Sheraton - I did get the reduced "St'Joes Hospital" Rate.  The room was regularily 150 per night, and I got it for 95 per night. It was clean and comfortable and VERY close to the hospital - so it is a very good choice if you're getting the surgery done there.

Wednesday morning I get up, shower and shave and make my way to the hospital. Now, I checked online ealrier to see my parking options and on the website it states that they have a prking garage.  I got to the hospital at 9:30 and try to pull into the parking garage only to have some rude male thingy head run our and tell me to take a hike cause they were full.  I was not too happy about this and if I had more time I would have had a few more words with the guy.  So I briefly considered looking around for parking but knew that it would be impossiblle to find. I just drove back to the Four Points where I left my truck and took a cab back to the hospital.  I thought that maybe I would get towed or something since I wasnt staying there for another night, but I didnt have too much time since I was told to be at the hospital for 9:30 am.  Plus I just left the parking pass on the rear view mirror from the previous night and figured that my chances were decent that it would still be there when I got back the next day :P

So I get to the hospital at about 10am (7 bucks for the cab) and go straight up to the second floor of the barnicke wing (where surgery happens).  I register at the counter and it only takes about ten minutes.  The lady then sends me into the "day of surgery" area where I need to register again and wait.  I get in, give my info, then I am sent to a change room where I strip down and throw on a couple hospital gows and some smurf booties over my shoes.  Then I sit and wait...

At about 11:45 Im called by a nurse and she brings me into another area, asks me to take a seat and asks me a few questions.  She says it'll be about 5 minutes before I get in and she takes off.  3 minutes later the Aneasthesiologist comes out, intorduces himself and asks me some questions.  I answer then Q's and he's like Ok lets go!  I go into the OR where a few people are getting thing set up.  They set me up for the Aneasthesia and then Dr.Fielding comes in.  He draws out the area around my nipples where he's gonna work his magic then asks me to lay down on the table. Two minutes later... Lala land....

I woke up in the recovery room at about 2:30 pm.  At 3:00 pm I was wheeled into an over night room.  At this point I couldnt feel much pain, but I was a bit uncomfortable since I had a very tight compression vest on. Oh, and I was STARVING since I hadnt eaten anything since 9pm the night before.  About 5 pm they brought some dinner and around this time was when I stated feeling some pain... Nothing serious, just some stinging/burning.  So I ate dinner (which was horrible by the way - i only ate it because I was starving) and took a couple of Tylenol 3's.  For some reason I was not tired what so ever so I decided to take a little walk down to the second cup and grab a coffee.  I also rented a TV for 18 bucks and it was a godsend since I barely slept a wink that night.  Throughout the night there was two times where the poain becme very intense, but it was after getting up to go to the bathroom so I think I must have strained myself getting up or something.  Other than that, thing were quite easy and painless.

Thursday morning Dr. Fielding came in to see me at around 8 am and said everything went well.  He gave me my post op instructions and basically said I could go.  I got dressed, took a cab back to the hotel (thank god my hummer was still there) and I drove back to 3.5 hours to Windsor.  I was a tiny bit uncomfortable driving, but I've had a harder time driving home after some hard snowoarding. 

When I got home I took a nice 3 hour nap, got up for a couple of hours and watched some movies, then went back to bed for the night.

Today I woke up at about 10 am and was in much less pain then yesterday (which wasnt that much!) I have been walking around all day doing light to moderate housework and have had no problems what so ever.

The only thing that sucks ass is that at times I will get SOOOO ITCHY that it's almost unbearable.  I cont wait to take this vest off next week for the first time to shower, and of course see the results!!

So this post was pretty long winded I know... I wanted to give a somewhat detailed story of what someone mught expect when having the surgery... I did lose my posting motivation half way through and didnt add the detail I wanted to add.  BUT, if anyone has questions about anything just ask or send me a PM and I'll be happy to answer.

I'll post some before pictures a bit later this evening or early tomorrow morning.  Then some post op pics next week when I can take the vest off...

DC

Offline dcvet

• Silver Member
These were taken about 2 weeks ago.  Im about 14% bodyfat.  When I get leaner 7-5%, there is a significant difference in the way my chest looks over all (more cut) however, the nipples still stick out and have fat around them. Or should i say STUCK out and HAD fat around them  ;D

Offline RyanMace

• Gold Member
Nice story man. Looking forward to see the results, seeing as my gynecomastia is pretty similar to urs.

Offline dcvet

• Silver Member
The right pad just "Fell" off right now  ::), so I decided to take a quick picture or two for you guys before I put the pad and vest back on.

By the way, Im 5 days post op.  No swelling, no bruising, no pain... Just minor discomfort while moving around in akward positions, and definitely some numbness underneath the pad.

Also, I gave it a little pinch and felt a very tiny mass of gland just below the nipple...

Only thing that sucks is that I havent weight trained in about 8 weeks so I look like I have no pecs!!!!!  Cant wait to hit the gym!!

The pictures are also kinda shit, but it gives a good idea of my results for that side (and by the way, this was the worse side...)

Offline dcvet

• Silver Member
HAHAHAHA, I just spent the last 2 hours putting on every shirt in my closet.  It's like I got a new wardrobe!!!

Anyways, I took the vest off a couple hours ago and both pads which were under the vest over the incisions.  All I can say is WTF!!!  If the results end up being like this, then I would say it's a 1000% improvement and about 97.654 % of perfection on my scale.  Yes i realize that it can change some, but I really do think that this is the way it's going to be.  And the funny part is, I'm wayyyy out of shape.  Im normally alot leaner and carry quite a bit more muscle, so it's just gonna be better!! Woohoo!!

So im 6 days post op, Im only slightly sore, but I do have quite a bit of numbness around the nipples.  Also itchy as a mofo...

I'll post some more pictures as I progess...

Offline shughes123

• Posting Member
Nice results.  How long did the doc say you have to wait to start working out?  By the way, when you worked out, did you do heavy deadlifts and\or squats?  If so, when do you plan to start doing those again?

Offline dcvet

• Silver Member
I actually worked out two days ago which was a bit under 3 weeks after my surgery.   I was feeling pretty good, so I actually did my chest!!  I went in thinking that I would be doing light weight, but I was actually able to lift moderate weights quite easily without any pain.  I think I could have even went heavier, but I didnt want to push it too much:) As far as the deadlifts, I'll be doing stiff leg tomorrow when I do my back, but Im definitely gonna keep them light.  From how I feel right now, I think in another two weeks I'll be able to lift like nothing ever happend.

Offline shughes123

• Posting Member
How's your recovery?  Has the lifting caused any increase in swelling or scar tissue?  I'm about 1 week post op and will probably be back to lifting in another 2 weeks.

Offline dcvet

• Silver Member
Well, my left side is absolutely perfect - 100% - I love it.  On the right side I have developed quite a bit of scar tissue, about 1" x 1.5 ".  It's very hard and quite noticable since Im already relatively lean and my chest is a bit leaner in the nipple area because of the lipo.  Im not sure if the quick jump into weight training contributed or not.  I did have more stuff taken out on the right side, and I noticed immediately that the surface scar was larger and more noticable than the other side.  In fact, my left side has no visible surface scar what so ever.

I've been massaging which helps immediately, but it goes back to the same size shortly afterwards. 

So now it's a waiting game.  Im fairly confident that it will resolve, but its just a matter of how long it will take.

I will post some photos when I get a chance.

Offline m9taylor

• Posting Member
Hey buddy, quick question, can you tell me what the nurses and doctors asked you as far as information they needed from you or anything like that? Like, are they aware exactly of what you're there for? etc. etc.

I'm just wondering if I bring someone with me who wants to be there and who doesnt necessarily know that Im going in for cosmetic surgery- will the nurses and docs give it away before Im wheeled off to the OR?

Thanks buddy

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024