Author Topic: Swelling and scar tissue (now with updated photos)  (Read 9561 times)

Offline PaulSW

• Silver Member
Well it seems many years ago now since I started to try to get rid of my Gyne.

I have been reading through the posts and thought I might be able to offer some insight into the swelling/scar tissue post surgery. I had swelling after the surgery for well over a year in reality nearly 2 the reason I know this for a fact is because I actually drained the fluid myself for all of this time.

I used a standard green needle and went into the pocket behind the nipple and drained it each month for the first year. i started by getting 5-10ml each drain which at a year had reduced to 2ml. From then to the 2 year point I drained whenever I felt the fluid had built up getting about 2ml-5ml a time. At 2 years the fluid had dried up and I just had the scar tissue left.

Deep massage onto the area seems to have had little effect after either of the surgeries. I also wore my compression vest for 3 moths after the second surgery but no major difference.

I have just had injections of triamcinolone (kenalog etc) for scar tissue. 15ml into the left has brought the swelling up massively this lasted for the first 3 days but is now reducing again.

Fingers crossed the scar tissue reduces  :-\

« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 07:06:26 AM by PaulSW »
Surgery DEC 07 Dr Benito
Revision March 09 Dr Benito
Injection for scar tissue March 2011 Dr Levick

Pictures - http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=12440.0

Offline vintage

• Posting Member
Did you ask your surgeon about this? I bet that he wouldn't approve...

Why don't you just leave it alone? Fluid will build up and it will then eventually disappear.

Offline thetodd

You drained it yourself, not being funny but thats just total madness! I wouldnt be suprised if you had some kind of an infection if you were having to drain it like that for over a year

I hope your scar tissue goes down mate but for anyone reading this thread, dont do that!
Surgery With Alex Karidis - 16/05/09 - Completed!
http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=17738.0

Offline PaulSW

• Silver Member
Hi Guys thanks for the comments

It was the surgeon who showed me how to do it. He explained it to me as the swelling building behind the nipple which is then encapsulated (surrounded by scar tissue) which in turn then fills in inwards.

No infection despite my sometimes dubious swab technique.

Having had the surgery then a revision and swelling and scar tissue both times I am a big believer that the scar tissue you have a 6 months will be about what you end up with +- a small amount.

On a positive note 2 weeks following the injections the scar tissue is currently reduced by about 50% by my approximation.

Offline chopper

• Silver Member
Glad all is well Paul and thanks for the advice. Who did your surgery if you don't mind me asking?

Offline PaulSW

• Silver Member
Hi Chopper

Had the surgery with Dr Benito in the signature you should be able to see my original post with pictures and experience.

Paul

Offline waves

• Silver Member
Do you have any pictures from recent?  It would be good to see post-op pictures after so much time has gone by.  Most post-ops on this forum are from the initial few weeks and not very many from months or years later.

Offline somedude999

• Silver Member
Would you say your chest looks better than pre op even with the scar tissue etc ? or do you regret having the op ?
Glad to hear the injections helped.

Offline PaulSW

• Silver Member
Interestingly I have pictures from each year and have some from before, immediately after, and a few weeks later than the injection what would you prefer to see?

As for whether it looks better:

Even despite the scar tissue it is much better I used to have to wear 2 t shirts to hide the gyne. after the first op i could wear a vest and t shirt and you could hardly tell. Now i can wear a single tight t shirt with only a ridge on the left side where the scar tissue is.

I used to be very conscious when undressed about the gyne but after the first op this reduced now i'm much less bothered but wounder if ill ever get out of that mind set.

Mine may not be perfect but it is better and in fact as the years have gone by my friends often look heavier in their lower chest than i do so at least mine is no longer getter bigger with age.

Overall i would recommend the surgery to anyone but i would say to remember the surgery does the best of a bad job don't expect perfection.

Offline waves

• Silver Member
Interestingly I have pictures from each year and have some from before, immediately after, and a few weeks later than the injection what would you prefer to see?

As for whether it looks better:

Even despite the scar tissue it is much better I used to have to wear 2 t shirts to hide the gyne. after the first op i could wear a vest and t shirt and you could hardly tell. Now i can wear a single tight t shirt with only a ridge on the left side where the scar tissue is.

I used to be very conscious when undressed about the gyne but after the first op this reduced now i'm much less bothered but wounder if ill ever get out of that mind set.

Mine may not be perfect but it is better and in fact as the years have gone by my friends often look heavier in their lower chest than i do so at least mine is no longer getter bigger with age.

Overall i would recommend the surgery to anyone but i would say to remember the surgery does the best of a bad job don't expect perfection.

How about photos from 1 year, 2 year, and pre and post injection?

Offline PaulSW

• Silver Member
Hi

Here are some of the requested photos after 1 year

As you can see the scar tissue on the left side is significant

Offline PaulSW

• Silver Member
Here are the photos post the open scar tissue removal which was 2 years after the original surgery.

I had this procedure done under local not general the scar is barley visible.

Offline PaulSW

• Silver Member
Here are 2 photos before my first kenalog (adrocort) injection

As you can see the scar tissue has return but is overall about 50% reduced

Offline PaulSW

• Silver Member
This is what the scar tissue looked like just after the injection

Other members who had had this done warned me not to panic which is just as well as it increased for the first 3 weeks by about 300%

Offline PaulSW

• Silver Member
Here are the results 3 weeks after the injection/s

The results are remarkable the scar tissue is 50% lower again

This is about the same result overall as the open reduction surgery.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024