Author Topic: Been given an appointment with a breast clinic = NHS acceptance?  (Read 1856 times)

Offline dude3

Hi all,

I spoke to my GP a few weeks ago about my grade 3 gynae, having lost about 20kg of weight and getting myself down to a bmi < 25 and asked for a referral regarding my gynae. I have been given an appointment with my breast clinic at a hospital, does this mean that I have been given approval of funding for treatment and I will be offered a surgery date or is there still more to come? Have I even been referred to the right place as I know that its usually the plastics department that do the ops, unless I am mistaken. I've looked up the list of consultants at the clinic I have been referred to and some of them definitely do cosmetic breast work. What is the NHS rigmaroll?

Many thanks

Offline thetodd

You havent been given funding yet, when you go to the breast clinic youl see a surgeon and they will ultimatley they decide yay or nay. Everyone goes to the breast clinic no matter what its the second step if you get the nod from the surgeon itl have to go through the NHS trust board and they have the final say (in most area's)

The breast clinic is the right department, and youl probally get a few odd looks as youl be in the waiting room with women only most likley
Surgery With Alex Karidis - 16/05/09 - Completed!
http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=17738.0

Offline dude3

From that point, how difficult is it to get funding and do you know what the average waiting time between acceptance to surgery is?

Offline wantridofgyno17

• Silver Member
If I recall correctly, I was quite lucky and from start to finish it took around 4 months for me to get the operation (That's from going to see the doctor, to then seeing a plastic surgeon, and then getting booked in.)

But be very wary.. Majority of NHS surgeons ARN'T very experienced at this, so DON'T expect results like you see from the guys on here by the likes of Karidis. Expect worser scarring, possibly not a perfect contour etc. Personally I'd advise people away from the NHS because of my experience, I'm still not happy with my result 1 and a half years later and am having it done again with Karidis to hopefully get it sorted! I wish I'd been able to go with karidis first time but money was the problem back then.

But tbh if you can find the money to fund Karidis somehow, I'd HIGHLY advise you do this.

Offline dude3

I have given thought to it, not sure if I can afford it. Assuming I can get the money together how long does it take from first visit to op with Kardis? And has no one had a good result with the NHS? I'm pretty confident of getting approved, from the appointment on Tuesday, how long did it take to get an op date?

Offline lightweightbaby

• Bronze Member
With Karidis i had my consultation and booked in for the op 4 weeks after.

Offline fingerit

• Bronze Member
I got offered the opportunity of surgery with Karidis within a coulpe of weeks of having a consultation. With the NHS I had to wait 6 weeks just for a consultation and they said even if they did accept me and get funding for NHS surgery, it could be up to 6months or more.

I would be patient save up the money and go private, although I'm biased now since I have no faith in the NHS at all. Totally negative experience apart from my GP who was really supportive.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024