Author Topic: Excessive Bleeding  (Read 2548 times)

Offline corvette09

• Bronze Member
Hey doctors, I had my surgery a little over 6 months ago. I'm pretty happy with the results except I now have scars ON my nipple. I had hematomas right after surgery and again a few days later. My doctor ended up draining it and then putting a drain in me. I bled so much I had blood pool down both arms and down in my stomach. I was very swollen for a few weeks. My doctor could not explain why I bled so much..

I had blood work and my platelet count was normal. I'm on testosterone for TRT. Would this effect clotting factors?

Thank you for your time.

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
Bleeding sometimes occurs.It sounds as though everything worked out well.I am not personally  aware of testosterone causing bleeding issues.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
If the bleeding was really excessive, and you have had no other surgery before, you could have a rare bleeding disorder that isn't diagnosed with routine blood work.  I don't want to alarm you, and you're probably fine, but there are bleeding disorders that exist in spite of a normal platelet count.  In certain disorders the platelets don't function normally.  You may want to consider a hematology workup, but first ask your plastic surgeon if he/she recommends it.  Just good to know that everything has been checked out, for the next surgery.

Dr. Pope, MD
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

Offline corvette09

• Bronze Member
Thank you doctors..

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
The risk of bleeding in patients who have gynecomastia related to testosterone use for performance enhancement is ten-fold higher than the risk in non-steroid related gynecomastia (it's actually 10 - 20% in various series, versus 1% or less in non-steroid related gynecomastia).  Depending on the history of your gynecomastia and the history of your testosterone supplementation, there may be a relationship.  I include patients on TRT in my "steroid-related" group, since I'm not always entirely clear about the details behind the testosterone use, and in my practice, the incidence of bleeding in that group is 10.9% versus less than 1% for all patients. As per Dr. Pope, depending on your history, you might want to explore your bleeding profile, but if it's just a one-time issue, it could be related to the etiology of your gynecomastia.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline corvette09

• Bronze Member
The risk of bleeding in patients who have gynecomastia related to testosterone use for performance enhancement is ten-fold higher than the risk in non-steroid related gynecomastia (it's actually 10 - 20% in various series, versus 1% or less in non-steroid related gynecomastia).  Depending on the history of your gynecomastia and the history of your testosterone supplementation, there may be a relationship.  I include patients on TRT in my "steroid-related" group, since I'm not always entirely clear about the details behind the testosterone use, and in my practice, the incidence of bleeding in that group is 10.9% versus less than 1% for all patients. As per Dr. Pope, depending on your history, you might want to explore your bleeding profile, but if it's just a one-time issue, it could be related to the etiology of your gynecomastia.

Rick Silverman

Thank you Dr. Silverman..

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024