Author Topic: surgery experience -bangalore india  (Read 7041 times)

Offline gyne_nomore

• Posting Member
I got my surgery done a couple of days ago at Manipal hospital, Bangalore by Dr. Anantheswar. I had been following this site for 3 years before the surgery so i thought i should post my experience for the benefit of others like me.
A little bit about myself - I had a mild case of gyne (according to the doctor), less than the average for those who go under the knife. What bothered me personally was the puffy nipples more than anything else.
I went to see the doctor a month back. he said it is a gland problem and recommended gland excision and liposuction.
(I, unfortunately, did not take pre-op pics. But the doctor did. I will post them once I get them from him (my next visit for drain removal).)

Since this site has some very detailed accounts of others' experience, I am not going to bore you by repeating the same information.
What I want to focus on are some facts that will be useful for others and things that I felt I hadn't grasped completely even after reading multiple accounts.

• firstly, my surgery went off well according to the doc. so my case is probably a typical thank-god-it-all-went-well scenario and not a oh-god-why-is-this-happening-to-me-only situation
  • i chose Dr. anatheswar after reading up on him on this site. he did not disappoint me. he is a really good and understanding surgeon. I am glad i chose him
  • I wanted to minimize my expenses so I decided to go for the general ward which is the cheapest. The doctor gave an estimate of Rs 50000. I had to deposit the full amount at the time of admission. The actual expense came to Rs 36000. Apart from this I spent about 4k in pre-surgery tests. the compression vests (2) cost my Rs 3500. Post-surgery medication is about Rs 1000. So in all, about 45k. there will probably be some more to pay on my next 1-2 visits (drain removal, stitches removal etc.)
  • i checked in to the hospital the night before the surgery (around 9 pm). the surgery happened the next morning. I was discharged the next afternoon, came home at 3 pm.
  • my room was on 7th floor in the general ward. there were 2 other patients in my room and the 3 of us shared one bathroom. the room and the bed were clean.
  • at the time of admission i carried a knapsack with me. I carried a book, my ipod and phone. there was a plug point next to the bed so charging was not a problem
  • the staff at manipal is excellent. the nurses are very good and caring and most obliging.
Ok, i hope this information is useful for people in Bangalore.
Now for some personal observations:
i was incredibly sore after my surgery. it felt like someone had punched every inch of my body (neck down to waist up). the area around my armpits was super sore (still is) and bruised and all. while there was not too much pain, any movement or any touch was painful.
at first i thought there must have been some complications during the surgery. but the doctor assured me that wasnt the case and that this was normal.
i had my parents and my wife at various times while in the hospital. any movement like even sitting up was incredibly painful and required someone's help. I am amazed that some people get this surgery done without telling anyone.
on day 1, just after surgery, i had to piss in a bottle while lying on the bed as walking to the toilet was beyond me (plus i was attached to a drip and 2 drains). believe me, its a disgusting experience and i somehow missed reading abt this. plus, i had to piss 5 times on day 1, probably a surgery thing. after the first time, i just could not do this lying down. my body just refused. so finally i would ask the nurse to help me get up ie. stand next to the bed, hand me the bottle, draw the curtain, wait for me to urinate, take the bottle from me, and then help me lie down again.

i drained 346 ml and 120 ml from  right and left sides on day 1. this is a lot apparently. so the night after the surgery, a doctor came to see me. he told me to not eat or drink at night as they may have to do another round of surgery the next morning. believe me this is the last thing you want to hear after your surgery. I was up all night praying and hoping that it didn't happen. thankfully they decided against it in the morning. this was based on my hemoglobin count which was normal. this means i was draining a lot but it wasn't blood. but it was a scary night.

before the discharge, you have to get your bandages changed. they open up everything and you can see (for the first time) the results of the surgery. now this was the most disgusting part of the whole process. i am cringing as i write about it. the sight of 2 pipes coming out of your body is by far the most disgusting sight i have seen in my life. the doctor had to drain some blood out of the pipes as they tend to become clotted. there is no pain involved, just a mild discomfort. but it is disgusting (sorry, i can't think of a synonym). it is a sight that will stay with me for a long time and i will probably get nightmares about it.

ok, then they bandaged me and i left the hospital as quickly as i could. my wife drove me home. home felt so much better. it just does. thank god i am home now.

the compression vest - its an incredibly uncomfortable thing to wear. last night was my first night in it and it just felt so tight and uncomfortable (not on my chest but around my stomach). i hope it will get better as i get used to it. it also feels hot in summer.

who to tell - i am not sure it is possible to hide this surgery from friends, family and many inquisitive others. Not in india.
first you are in hospital for at least 2 days. then you have drains sticking out of you for anywhere up to 10 days. the drains are attached to 2 bottles (which are not very small). i have put both bottles in a plastic bag that i carry with me around the house. so you basically need to go MIA (in other words, not meet anyone you know) for at least 5-6 days.
even after the drains are removed, the compression vest will be there for 6 weeks to 6 months. i am pretty sure people will notice.
if you are a smoker and drinker, you will have to give both up from 1 week before surgery to 3 weeks after it (this is my interpretation, not the doctor's).
how do you explain to your friends and family why you were under ground for a week and have now come back looking slightly stuffy (in your comp vest) and have stopped smoking and drinking in the meantime. Not to mention you have stopped running or gymming and are not playing football for at least a month.
ok, enough for now. will write more later.

Offline gyne_nomore

• Posting Member
4 days after surgery and the compression vest is killing me. I had 2 options: go with selvaraj or Asif. I went with Asif because he happened to be there on the day I met the doc. I dont know if the other guy would have been better.
I don't mind the compression on the chest (I guess that is required) but there is too much pressure on my stomach which i think can be avoided.
I still have the drains on and so I have some additional bandages on my chest and stomach. I guess once the drains are removed (later today hopefully :)) it will be better.
But I want to ask you guys and the doctors on this forum - does the vest really need to be super-tight around the waist?
Oh man, this is a pain. I dont think i will be able to wear it all night for more than 3 weeks.
And how do you run if you are wearing this? what about the sweat and all?

Offline gyne_nomore

• Posting Member
volume of fluid draining out:
Day 1 - 346 ml; 130 ml
Day 2 - 35 ml; 35 ml
Day 3- 15 ml; 20 ml
Day 4 - <10 ml; < 10 ml

Offline waves

• Silver Member
My vest had 3 wide velcro straps and I just loosened the bottom one so it wasn't so tight on my stomach.  I'm no doc, but I don't see how having it really tight on your stomach makes any difference.  Maybe give your surgeon a call to confirm?

Offline gyne_nomore

• Posting Member
I managed to get the vest loosened on my stomach. Though the guy kept saying it needs to be tight on the stomach for adequate support, I think he was just trying to get out of the extra work. It feels much better now.

Its been a week since my surgery. My drains are out. I am still not smoking. Though I had a couple of drinks today. :)
Bathing is an issue though today I managed a satisfactory job.
My chest is still very sore and bruised. I will post a pic in a couple of days.

Offline gyne_nomore

• Posting Member
I have taken off my compression vest for a few minutes and it is such a feeling of relief.
My God, this vest is a horror. It is so tight and stifling. I have worn it for 7 days and there is no way I am going to wear it for 6 months. My target now is 3 weeks. I hope I can make it that far.
It is so difficult to sleep in it. Today I finally took it off for an hour and had a good nap.
Guys, my advise to anyone going for surgery - give this vest a serious thought. While the surgery effects last for a few days, the vest is a long-term torture.

Offline rajkumar

• Posting Member
ya.. its little uncomfortable but its very necessary to get the desired result..

Offline shaker

• Silver Member
I have seen some vests that cover only chest i wish my doctor had used one of those cause my fat tummy is having hard time but i believe its helping me loose wait too.. i can only eat so much so my eating habits are changing :).  It used to look like i was 9 months pregnant women (well had breasts too u know  :D ) now with gyne somewhat gone (not 100% results but still a lot of improvement) and with vest the tummy looks more like 5 month pregnancy  ;D , too bad no option for abortion but will try to get to 30 waist by xmas !!

PS: gyne tell me about it in india the social circle is so hard to avoid... and not to mention all the crap that flies around if u tell someone o he/she had a surgery, u tell one and everyone you know of and strangers too know what happened... And i believe gyne surgery is still not widely accepted or understood in india much.. I was going to have mine 5 years ago in india but due to lack of time (was moving to canada for studies) did not.. boy was it hard to even find a doctor, like seriously who to ask around ? Cannot ask your family friends etc.. they just would not know, plus back than internet was limited to dial up .. So good to know that now there are options and dr's are getting more exposure thanks to threads like these .. will be easier for those suffering from gyne to have an option. If you are over 55 and got grey hair no one really cares in india but if ur young its the same thing everywhere even worse i believe in india.

congrats on surgery looking forward for some pictures.

Offline gyne_nomore

• Posting Member
Very true shaker. I had to tell my wife (obviously), parents and a few close friends. Most ppl think its just a fat removal surgery and it is difficult to make them understand abt the gland (the puffy nipples) and why exercise wont help. And ppl never to hesitate to probe into your life, right from the auto walla from the hospital to the building guard to the maid......
Now, 2 weeks after surgery, my movement is fine and no one can really figure out the surgery. Thank God, no more questions and no more telling any one else. Only the occasional jokes from those who know :)

Offline male breast

• Posting Member
I am following experiences of the members very carefully for the last few months.i too suffered by this issue.
my request is-
1.who ever having this issue,they will suffer a lot,immediately after the surgery ,they will be relieved,in a form of very big letter they will express a lot,it is correct also.but
2.any surgery there will be 2 issues,one immediate period,we will not have any experience about it,but it is a temporary period ,will last for only few months,better not to comment/glorify the experience/or about the hospital or the doctor.
the importnat point we are missing here is about long term issues in the form of complications like inverted nipple,crater deformity etc/or experience after one year or so.i am requesting members to share their long term experience .

Offline cape_of_good_hope

• Posting Member
Very true shaker. I had to tell my wife (obviously), parents and a few close friends. Most ppl think its just a fat removal surgery and it is difficult to make them understand abt the gland (the puffy nipples) and why exercise wont help. And ppl never to hesitate to probe into your life, right from the auto walla from the hospital to the building guard to the maid......
Now, 2 weeks after surgery, my movement is fine and no one can really figure out the surgery. Thank God, no more questions and no more telling any one else. Only the occasional jokes from those who know :)

hi gyne_nomore, can we have your pre and post pics?

Offline bloregynacomastia

• Bronze Member
Congrats Brother. Welcoming you to be the (n)th successful and happy gyne free patient of Dr. Anantheswar.

I was the first patient of his from this forum :-) 4 + years and many many events....Memories :-)

Have a good Life ahead :-)

Offline bloregynacomastia

• Bronze Member
Hi guys,
Today is 18th January 2018. I was thinking about my past history nostalgically and wonder how did time fly, what all happened in the last 11 years. 
Btw: For those readers I was the 1st member who underwent a gynecomastia surgery with Dr. Anantheswar YN on 2nd June 2007 and had the surgery pre- n post op documented on this site.
Just dropping by to say Hi. I'm alive and happy. The gyno never came back, chest looks decent enough till now.
Thanks Dr. Anatheswar and team. Let me find a time I'm free to visit you with chocolates.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024