Author Topic: Question about post-op swelling...  (Read 1944 times)

Offline emanresu

• Silver Member
4 weeks ago I successfully underwent surgery with Alex Karidis. The immediate post-op results were fantastic, my chest was completely flat. Since then, however, my chest has swollen slightly and I've got a slightly moobish appearance again. I'm concerned that breast tissue may have regrown because I've consumed a lot of alcohol since the surgery.

On this website people talk a lot about 'swelling', but what is it exactly? When you touch the chest area, does the swelling feel hard, or does it feel soft like fat, or even a fluid? I just wondered because my chest has a hard substance underneath (not my ribs, and probably not my pecs) and a thin layer of fat/fluid on top of it.

Thanks for any insight into this particular problem guys.

Offline morpheus11

• Silver Member
I haven't had the surgery yet (scheduled early june), so I can't speak from direct experience, but from what I read, the tissue cannot grow back because it's been removed. 

Have you kept the compression vest? have you been massaging the area?  from what i've been told, you have to do that to minimize any swelling. either way, if it is swelling, it should go down.

keep us posted.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Compression garments, for a minimum of four weeks, are helpful in keeping the swelling down -- but not completely out of the picture.  The body has had surgery -- a controlled trauma, and it doesn't quit wanting to swell by the first day or first week.  There is also a predictable sequence of healing events that Mother Nature has determined for us -- and swelling is a definite part of the picture.

Be patient, wear compression and consult with your surgeon.  Final results take, on average, at least 4-6 months to be seen.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline emanresu

• Silver Member
Thanks for the replies.

What I'm asking is: Does swelling typically feel hard or soft?

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Very individual -- it can feel hard or soft.

Dr Jacobs

Offline emanresu

• Silver Member

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
You are quite welcome.

Dr Jacobs

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024