Author Topic: New guy Question  (Read 2775 times)

Offline Capt. J

Hey guys new to the forum and had a question. I have more of a sever case, I look in between Biff and Bob http://www.gynecomastia.org/content/treatment/gynogallery.shtml  I know I am going to need skin removal during the surgery. Looking online it's hard to find pictures of scars from extreme procedures....can anyone give me some advice of where the scar will be,how big will it be, and maybe some pic links of skin removal scars(can't find many)? obviously every case is difference but there in not much info online about the people who need skin removal.

THANKS,
                                                                                   Capt. J

DrBermant

Hey guys new to the forum and had a question. I have more of a sever case, I look in between Biff and Bob http://www.gynecomastia.org/content/treatment/gynogallery.shtml  I know I am going to need skin removal during the surgery. Looking online it's hard to find pictures of scars from extreme procedures....can anyone give me some advice of where the scar will be,how big will it be, and maybe some pic links of skin removal scars(can't find many)? obviously every case is difference but there in not much info online about the people who need skin removal.

THANKS,
                                                                                   Capt. J

Skin reduction is a good compromise for the patient with a great deal of sagging skin.  For a patient with normal skin elasticity, skin reduction is not normally needed during breast reduction surgery.  Elastic skin can really shrink quite well on its own and skin reduction scars then are normally not needed.

How well skin shrinks after removing mass behind it can vary greatly as shown by the two balloon examples on that link.  For my techniques, most of the change occurs in the operating room.  There can be some further shrinkage over time after surgery.  Building muscle mass can be one way of filling up a loose skin envelope.  However, it is very difficult to maintain such large muscles throughout our lives.

However if after weight loss or surgery the nipples are low and tissue hangs and bounces around, skin reduction can really improve the contour of the chest.  Too many patients have commented to me how their lives were changed and that the scars were a good trade off.

Excess Skin of the Male Chest with Gynecomastia comes in various degrees.  Here are my Standard Pictures for Evaluating Extra Skin on the Male Chest.

For some patients, my small incision skin reduction chest lift is an option.  This eliminates the unnatural very obvious unnatural vertical scar.  For smaller problems, I have evolved my Internal Lift Male Mastopexy Surgery that has even smaller scars.  My internal lift is not suitable when the excess skin is a major contributing factor for the deformity.  A Male Donut Mastopexy when pushed too far will leave a star burst deformity that detracts from the result. That is why picking your surgeon carefully can be so important.

Yes, scars are a compromise.  We need some place to remove the excess skin.  The shorter the scars, the less skin that is removed. 

Options are best explored during an evaluation with an experienced surgeon who can demonstrate their skills with this compromise issue of loose skin of the male chest sculpture.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Male Mastopexy Chest Lift for Sagging Tissues

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Hey Capt J -- welcome to the forum!

Very large gyne with pendulous breasts, with or without extreme weight loss, can be a challenge to improve.  Every case is individual, so the various techniques that could be used would have to be assessed at the time of examination.  Then  the pros and cons of each technique would have to be discussed and decisions made.

Suffice it to say that the usual methods of minimal scar surgery will not apply for there is too much lax skin and the nipples have to be moved to a better and more normal looking location.  All of this means a longer operation.  And the removal of skin will leave scars.  Thus it will be a trade-off of scars for a better and more comfortable shape.  Please look at patient 59a on my website ( http://www.gynecomastianewyork.com/photo.asp ) -- it will provide a glimpse as to what you might expect as regards scars.

If you are interested in pursuing this further, please contact my office at 212 570 6080.  If you live more than 100 miles from NYC, I would be pleased to provide an e-evaluation at no charge -- just send me your email.

Whichever way you go, best of luck to you!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024