Author Topic: Just saw the second nhs doctor  (Read 3762 times)

Offline ruggeddtoast

• Posting Member
I saw my gp about  month ago , I was dreading it and thought he'd just give me the brush off but  he was very helpful and referred me to an endocrinologist, he said i might well have a hormone problem and that if i got treatment for it the man boobs could go, but if they didnt i'd have to see a PS.

So I went to see this endo yesterday and Im a bit bemused by it all. She examined me and pretty much dismissed out of hand the possibility of a hormone problem and said it wasnt that bad (thats her opinion). She then spent most of the rest of the time trying to talk me out of taking it further saying it would become 'very complicated' if/when the blood tests came back negative if i still wanted to pursue an nhs resolution, that it was very difficult to persuade PCT's to fund surgery, that i might have to see a psychologist and that:

"sometimes its better not to waste everybodys time"

WTF? I wasnt expecting that at all so politely insisted that i would be having the moobs removed if i had to hack them off myself with a blunt spoon, that i had a long history of  clinical depression to use as extra 'ammunition' if needed and that i wasnt going to give up. She then told me that NHS surgery isnt much good for gyne and that they may botch it and leave me with bad scarring.

Then she gave me another appointment to see her in TWO MONTHS and sent me off to another part of the hospital to have my blood tests taken.

As I understand it, if Im still adamant when I see her again she'll refer me to a PS which'll take a couple of months for a consultation, but then its anyones guess what'll happen.

Hmm, Im a bit nonplussed by it all, anyone been here?

Offline Worrier

• Gold Member
Yeah I was in a similar position. I went to see endo, confirmed not hormonal , then refered to PS. Ps told me 'cosmetic procedures' very hard to fund mental health  problems or not and so far health authority have refused funding once and Iam currently on appeal.

My point is it is not just the docs you have to convince but the health authority so even if she does refer you to a PS who agrees to it they will still need to apply for funding for the op.I was refused due to being overweight even though I was within their weight guidelines so if you get to the stage I was at makes sure your BMI is normal before they weigh you.

I was also told about the scarring that may happen, trying to scare me off I think. I also saw a psychologist at some point who talked to me about the scarring and how the gyno was affecting me.I have been waiting about a year and a half now overall and Iam no nearer getting it done. I have spoken to my GP and told him how badly it is affecting me and he just said he will 'have a word' but did say the NHS has to deal with sick people first ,which I understand.

I get the impression that unless it is affecting your physical health or is extemely severe they are reluctant to do it and hope you will go private (which I can't afford)  or you will get bored with all the hoops you need to jump through and go away.

Ps my GP was very helpful as well it is odd because I thought that would be the most difficult part.I just thought once I got passed him it would be sorted.I have been told mine is not that bad by loads of people including my parents (who are against me having anything done). So it is all very well people saying it is not bad it is how it is affecting you and whether it is interferring in your life.I know I would feel better mentally if it was removed and I expect most on this site would.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2005, 06:31:21 AM by Worrier »

Offline ruggedtoast

• Silver Member
I thought the same thing too, once the gp was out of the way that i was on the home stretch. Apparently not though.

I found a surgeon in spain who does it for a not unreasonable 2500GBP, Ive researched him and and had some email exchanges with him and I really like him so far so I have a fall back I suppose. 2500 would certainly hurt but it is a plan b.

Can I ask how overwight you are?  My BMI is about 24 and I assumed that would fast-track me, which was what my gp indicated too; but this last doctor just said she'd seen worse and Id have trouble getting funding.

I was quite disappointed that she made my next appointment so far away too, its like shes hoping i'll get fed up and give up on it.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2005, 08:09:33 AM by ruggedtoast »

Offline Worrier

• Gold Member
My BMI was twenty eight ,admittedly that is overweight but the PS said it was within their limits for doing the op.
I was still turned down due to the weight. I have now lost quite a lot and my BMI is now twenty five.

My GP is now appealing the decison although he is not hugely hopeful they will do it. Thing is since I have lost weight the gyno has reduced  and I think when the PS sees it again she will probably say it is not bad enough and I'll be in your position ::)even though I know it will not totally go .
The other thing is, if they eventually do do the op apparently they do Lipo first to see if that improves it and if it doesn't six months later they do the excision thing to get rid of the gland.Seems very longwinded. And all the talk of scars sunken chest etc worried me also. PS said she could not say there would be a cosmetic improvement if she did the op I may look worse and was it worth the risk? If a private PS said that to me I would find another one but you cannot exactly shop around on the NHS. Good thing you have a plan B m8 lets hope you don't need it.

Offline RRB

• Gold Member
  • I am here to help

So I went to see this endo yesterday and Im a bit bemused by it all. She examined me and pretty much dismissed out of hand the possibility of a hormone problem and said it wasnt that bad (thats her opinion).

You should have asked her how she would feel if she as a woman was totally flat chested and i mean no boobs whatso ever.  Would she want it fixed to feel more feminine ?  
Surgery performed by Mr Paul Levick, 17/02/05. I am here to help.

Offline ruggedtoast

• Silver Member
The nhs sucks. Theres thousands of people who sit on their backsides all   their lives smoking and eating junk food and signing on and breeding countless feral children for extra child support, before staggering off to their nearest hospital in their 40's for self inflicted illnesses that cost 100's of k's to treat, and are never denied.

I work hard, pay all my taxes, dont smoke, look after my health in every other way I can and they wont help me even though I'M A MAN WHO IS GROWING FEMALE BREASTS. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.

And then they wonder why people who work for a living complain about the welfare state.

Offline webster

• Silver Member
ya Rugged, I reckon ministry of health thinking would be if you work hard and pay taxes then you can afford to go private - makes perfect sense if your job is to control health budgets.

But surely if you are persistent enough you'll wear them down? Good luck.

Webster.

Offline brother_gyne

• Bronze Member
I think its a game the docs play- its in their interest to have long waiting times + ops not available on NHS. That way they coin it in doing Private work. I got mine done NHS, there is no scarring and the first op was 3 months after seeing the GP. However the Consultants assistant booked my op (new guy I think ), I met the consultant first time on the op table. I remember him picking up my notes and sayng "3 months indeed" to the assistant.  When I woke up he had only done one side. The knobmiester decided that it was not so big on the left side.  I had to go back to get the other side done which was obviously too big -   just as way of delaying things.

I keep saying this, use this site to beat them with examples like me who do get it done. There is no standard policy, I wrote to the Minstry of HEalth in London. They wrote back - its up to the Health Authority.

Offline Daytona_Dude

• Posting Member
  • NHS Gyne' surgery done 7/9/05
    • My pre op' pictures
There are so many mixed reviews from people who've taken the NHS route. Can't believe your surgeon doing that Brother_Gyne, sounds like a right  effing 'mare.

My moobs were cut out a couple of weeks ago on the NHS. Thankfully nothing to moan about with my case. Again, seems to be all down to your post code, as to how serious you are taken after getting the ok from your GP.

Offline ruggedtoast

• Silver Member
"When I woke up he had only done one side. The knobmiester decided that it was not so big on the left side.  I had to go back to get the other side done which was obviously too big -"

OMFG??!! Is that for real??

Im really wondering whether the nhs route is worth pursuing.

Offline Daytona_Dude

• Posting Member
  • NHS Gyne' surgery done 7/9/05
    • My pre op' pictures
Did the surgeon not come round to see you before the op, and tell you what he was going to do? where he was going to cut what was going to be removed etc?

Mine came at me with a fat marker pen and drew big  
fat circles on my chest as indicators for the surgery, and made sure I was clear on what was gonna be chopped, and what he would leave. I Find it amazing that he wouldn't tell you what was going to be done, or if he had decided to change his mind mid-op and not remove what he said he would?

You got any pics?

Offline brother_gyne

• Bronze Member
I don't want to run the NHS down too much, I believe in it and overall I am pleased with the result meeting the surgeon was a bit like meeting royalty. There is a website that gives you stats and background on NHS surgeons. I found out he did a lot of private work at a hospital in the nice part of Birmingham (well relatively). I honestly did not meet him until the pre-op room and it was obvious he had not seen my notes until then. When I woke up I got the one side news. I met the gas lady in the morning and then the assistant (who did draw on me now I think of it -both sides).  The second time was even better, I did meet the surgeon before the op  who said-  my first doc wasn't in , he would do it but hadn't done one for 5 years but thinks he can remember how would I mind if he had a go.  Hey what the hell. The left is not as flat as the right but OK.

Offline ruggedtoast

• Silver Member
At least it was free hey.  :-/

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024