Author Topic: My Story  (Read 4240 times)

Offline mikess19

• Posting Member
I'm nineteen, and in college. I've had gynecomastia since I was about thirteen. the doctor like everyone else said that in a few years when the girls started coming around, I'd shape up and it wouldn't be a problem. It never happened, instead I got heavier and the problem got worse. I started wearing tight t-shirts, slouching, pulling my tshirt down when around people, folding my arms, and I even started wearing this spandex outfit under my clothes that kept them from being, I guess, bouncy. My friends and family started making fun of me, they make it seem like its all fun and games but no one knows what true torment this problem causes. You can't say anything back to them, in fear that they may talk about me more. People use to whisper behind my back, and it got to the point where sometimes I'd lock myself in my room, a bathroom or something, and just cry. My brothers have all been active in sports, and in the shape of their lives, and that puts pressure on me to be up to par to peoples perceptions of how I should be. I've have never had a girlfriend, because I was always afraid of rejection and disgust. My brothers took me to a club last week and I wouldn't dance with anyone because I was afraid people would get too close and feel my chest. My brothers thought it was because I was afraid of girls, and they even started propositioning girls to dance with me. It was sooo embarrassing. My mother has been the only true godsend in this whole mess, she's the one who tells me "you have nothing to be ashamed of, there are many other men out there with the same problem." I didn't believe her, or truly believe her until I decided today to google my situation. the voila, I'm not alone anymore. I emailed my mother his website and she's checking it out right now. She told me to have faith that things would work out, and we could have this operation. I'm holding on to my faith, and you guys' stories are helping me a lot. Thanks

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
congrats on finding the board and welcome  :)
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

Offline jc71

• Wilma, grab the lotion, we're going to the beach!
Mikesss - early on sounds like they fed you a dose of wishful thinking.  The problem is their positive intentions often end with dismal results.   Don't know if the comments from family was mean spirited, they say ignorance is bliss.  Regardless of their intent, it surely didn't make you feel very good. Mom sounds supportive.

My advice: After surgery, enroll in the Fred Astaire or Arthur Murray school of dance and get yourself some girls.   Plus, you'll be able to show-up your brothers the next time you go to the club.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2005, 06:27:14 PM by jc71 »

Offline heartbrokenmom

• Posting Member
I'm glad that your mother has been supportive of you.  It makes all the difference.  My son also has a brother that is active in sports and is also going to start to model.  So its even more difficult for my son to have to deal with all that.  Just like it is for you.  My son is 19, also, and will be having the operation this summer when he comes home from college.

Good Luck.

Offline mikess19

• Posting Member
Thanks everyone, your support really means a lot. My mother and I were talking about a doctor in Pennsylvania who has done over fifty of these operations in the past eight years. Hopefully he's worth his salt.

Offline heartbrokenmom

• Posting Member
My son and I are from PA.  We are going down to Dr. Bermant.  We are outside Philly.  

Who is your doctor?  We couldn't find one with the reputation Bermant has.

Offline jc71

• Wilma, grab the lotion, we're going to the beach!
If you're out east, bermant would be hard to beat. how bout checking with dr. elliott in NYC?  I saw him on TV recently. You guys got a lot of good ps's there. You'd think in Calif. there'd be more specalizing in gyne, but don't see too many.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2005, 08:06:42 PM by jc71 »

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024