Author Topic: Muscle vs Breast  (Read 4680 times)

Offline aleksandar

• Posting Member
Is the surgeon absolutely sure that s/he is not removing muscle with the glandular tissue? What I am asking is, is it easy for the surgeon to make a difference between muscle and breast tissue? Is it impossible to cut significant muscle tissue during the surgery thinking that it is breast tissue or is this quite possible?

I've weight-lifted for years, so obviously I want to keep the muscle definition and get rid of the gyno. I don't want that completely flat look, I want gyno-free attractive muscular chest that I deserve after years of hard work.

So what I'm worried about is the surgeon throwing the baby with the bath water and removing muscle tissue. Or am I worrying too much, since it's impossible to cut/remove muscle during the surgery?

Any thoughts/experiences please?

DrBermant

Is the surgeon absolutely sure that s/he is not removing muscle with the glandular tissue? What I am asking is, is it easy for the surgeon to make a difference between muscle and breast tissue? Is it impossible to cut significant muscle tissue during the surgery thinking that it is breast tissue or is this quite possible?

I've weight-lifted for years, so obviously I want to keep the muscle definition and get rid of the gyno. I don't want that completely flat look, I want gyno-free attractive muscular chest that I deserve after years of hard work.

So what I'm worried about is the surgeon throwing the baby with the bath water and removing muscle tissue. Or am I worrying too much, since it's impossible to cut/remove muscle during the surgery?

Any thoughts/experiences please?

Muscles and their firm overlying fascia are about as dense as gland but have an obvious different look under direct visualization. That is why I prefer direct visualization of my gland removal. Not all surgeons have the same skills in determining what they are sculpting. I have seen patients from other surgeons with muscles divided off of the chest wall creating bizarre flexing patterns. Video Demonstrating Muscle Scars After Gynecomastia Surgery and Subsequent Revision Repair demonstrates a different problem of surface muscle injury from other doctors' surgery. The views lifting up overhead show the crater deformity, flexing views show the muscle distortion. Also on that page there is another movie where you can listen to the patient describing the muscle deformity and results of revision.

Checking such skills by looking at examples of how a surgeon's work moves during flexing is important in selecting your surgeon.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

DeeDubStyle619

You'll be fine man. Just do your research, and find a reputable plastic surgeon.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Yes, it is possible for there to be muscle damage during any surgery -- but this is virtually unheard of if your surgery is done by an experienced gyne surgeon.

I always tell my patients that I do not remove muscle nor can I add muscle during surgery -- I just remove the excess tissue sitting on top of the muscle so that the muscle definition is revealed.  That, in essence, is what gyne surgery should accomplish.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024