Author Topic: Causes of gyno  (Read 4659 times)

Offline tralfaz

• Posting Member
 I'd like to know how most of you developed gyno in the first place? I'm currently suffering from it, and both my MD and PS have said that most times the cause is unknown. I don't want to go through the cost and risk of surgery just to have it return someday.

I've been a daily pot smoker for over 15 years, and have read that can cause gyno. I started smoking at 15, and first noticed symptoms when I was about 30 yrs. old or so (I'm now 35). If I quit smoking weed altogether, is there a chance the gyno will go away on its own?

I was a heavy drinker from about 16 to 28 yrs old. Now I drink maybe once a week, but when I do drink it's several drinks (6-12). Could this make the gyno worse? I supplement with milk thistle on the days of and after I drink to help the liver out a bit.

I also noticed that Prevacid is listed as one of the drugs that may cause gyno. I've been taking that daily for several years now too. Anyone heard of this drug triggering gyno?

After researching how to optimize testosterone levels and decrease estrogen levels, I've found that alcohol, marijuana and acid reducers like Prevacid can all lead to zinc, magnesium and potassium deficiencies, liver damage (from the alcohol), and other conditions which subsequently lead to low testosterone and high estrogen levels.

I've had blood work done by my MD and he said testosterone levels came back "normal", but there were no specifics on what the numbers were, whether or not they checked estrogen levels, etc.

My case is mild, judging by the pics I've seen here. When I'm cold my chest tightens up and looks perfectly normal. Is this usually the case?

If I ceased my irresponsible habits (quit smoking the ghanja, stopped drinking to get drunk) and quit taking Prevacid, could I possibly avoid surgery and have my mild gyno clear up on its own?

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Gynecomastia is common in the newborn, and it self resolves.

It is common in early puberty, when up to 2/3 of boys have it to some degree, It self resolves for some, but good objective numbers are hard to come by.

Gynecomastia runs in some families, like mine!  Oh well.

The incidence of Gynecomastia increases with obesity and drug or alcohol use.

Pot is funny, it causes the munchies (among other things) and since the active ingredients are oils they are stored in and act on the fat cells which resulted from too much munching.  It is in the fat cells where testosterone is converted to estrogen.  I do not understand the chemistry involved, but I see a connection there, don't you?

Alcohol, I don't know of a direct relationship, but follow this circle route.  Alcohol is hard as hell on the liver. The liver somehow filters out or neutralizes estrogen.  meaning that what estrogen compounds you normally have in your system anyhow stay around longer than they should and reach higher than normal concentrations.

Herbs, many herbs contain phytoestrogen which is to say plant compounds similar to estrogen.  These herbs are often compounded into products which are sold for the purpose of making women's breasts larger.  Some varieties of thistle contain phytoestrogen to varying degrees.

Prescription Drugs,  I've heard that somewhere near 200 different medications have gynecomastia as a side effect, even if rare.

With respect to the hormone levels, You paid for those lab tests, and you have a right to recieve a copy of the report.  It should be noted that all people have both Testosterone and Estrogens,  but the balance is vastly different in men than in women.  Meaning that if your testosterone was the low end of normal while your estrogen was in the high end of normal,  The balance would have shifted to favor feminization.  You would really need an endocrinologist to interpret those test results.  Also, the "normal" range might be faulty.  You would not expect to find the hormone levels equal in a young man of 19 and his 90 year old great-grandfather but, some ranges are that wide.

The Good news is that sometimes,  (but only sometimes) Gynecomastia will self resolve when the causative agent is removed.

It would seem that a visit to an endocrinologist and some lifestyle changes are in your future unless you like having boobs.
Grandpa Dan

Offline hypo

Note:

Alcohol is poisonous to the testicles; Marijuana is thought to adversly affect brain chemistry and adversely, in particular the function of the hypothalamus/pituitary which controls testosterone output.

Aromatase enzymes are most readily found in the visceral fat in the stomach and buttocks- hence the link between increased glandular mass and obesity- hypogonadism itself can occur in certain instances because of obesity.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2005, 02:37:32 AM by hypo »

Offline Spleen

I was a frequent pot and alcohol user for years.  I had gynecomastia before I used either substance, and I still have it bnow that I rarely drink or smoke.  But that's me.  

The "normal" testosterone range is pretty broad.  The thing that seems to get "true" glandular gynecomastia going is a higher estrogen level (I'm sure Hypo can correct me if I'm wrong about this).  Then again, you might not have glandular growth at all and it could be all fat.  I'm in my mid 30s too and I've put fat on in places I didn't have it before.  

If you think your issue might be hormonal there's no harm in seeing an endocrinologist and getting a full work-up.  Could be worth it given your age and the recent onset of symptoms.

Offline tralfaz

• Posting Member
Thanks for the replies guys - very helpful.
I guess I'll start with the endocrinologist, and go from there.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Good Luck!

Offline tralfaz

• Posting Member
O.K., any comments on the blood test results?

Total Testosterone - 304 (range of 241-827)
TSH - 0.75 (range of 0.40-5.50)
Free T-4 - 1.3 (range of 0.8-1.8)
FSH - 2.6 (range of 1.4-18.1)
Estradiol - 26 (range of 10-50)

Do these results warrant a visit to the endocrinologist?

Offline hypo

Yes, at least to check that testosterone level again.

The bottom of the normal range for testosterone is usually given as 300ng/dl.

Most endocrinologists would consider your level as being testosterone deficient for a young man.

Particularly if you are suffering from any testosterone deficient symptoms

Further tests are required.

If you are only having total testosterone checked you need a test for SHBG.

You also need a test for LH.

Do you suffer from any of these symptoms;

lethargy/fatigue
back or joint pain
low concentration
low libido
poor stamina

Offline tralfaz

• Posting Member
Nope, no problems with any of those symptoms.

Offline hypo

It is possible then that you have a low SHBG level a normal LH level and a reasonable level of free testosterone and therefore no problem.

I'd still have it looked into by an endocrinologist though, better safe than sorry.

Offline tralfaz

• Posting Member
Thanks Hypo, I appreciate the replies.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024