Author Topic: A few questions for the members here!  (Read 2902 times)

Offline militaryman

• Posting Member
First I want to start off by saying Hello!

I am currently a member of the military and have been suffering with gynecomastia for about 4-5 years. Basically since I was a young teen. I'm not overweight at all, but actually a little too light. As a young teen I had thought I was just one of those unlucky teens that had body fat around my chest and was cursed with man boobs. Knowing I was going to be a member of the military when I was older put me at ease knowing that the fat would be blasted off by the intense work outs and daily physical fitness of basic training. Well let me tell you that wasn't the case when I joined. Maybe they felt smaller, but I really felt that was because of the body fat lost not the tissue of course.

Well recently I educated myself in gynecomastia and made sure I understood what was going on with my body. Then Boom! It hit me! It wasn't the fat but it was actually the build up of tissue that trully made my physique (spelling) much worse than it actually was. So in the mirror I would turn sideways and cover up my "moobs" and wow. I looked normal. Again from different angles I would do the same and wow I look perfectly normal when they were covered up.

My brother actually had a portion of the gland removed and he noticed a considerably great difference in his chest. He could wear shirts and take off his shirt without being embarrased about his condition. Well finally yesterday I made a appointment at the base hospital. Today they diagnosed me with gynecomastia and gave me a referal to a surgery consult in the coming weeks. I understand all the risks of the surgery and IMO the risks outway the satisfaction and peace of mind not having to worry about my chest again. I have military training that I must attend to in June/July so I hope to have the surgery for August.

A few questions for you regulars here:

1. Do you think they will allow me to schedule the surgery for August (that far in advance?)?

2. I believe the gland removal will be trully the only thing removed (not sure about lypo). With being normal weight with not a great amount of body fat will the gland removal usually take care of the problem?

3. Also what are some good questions to ask the doc when I go in for my consult.

Offline RyanMace

• Gold Member

I am currently a member of the military and have been suffering with gynecomastia for about 4-5 years. Basically since I was a young teen. I'm not overweight at all, but actually a little too light. As a young teen I had thought I was just one of those unlucky teens that had body fat around my chest and was cursed with man boobs. Knowing I was going to be a member of the military when I was older put me at ease knowing that the fat would be blasted off by the intense work outs and daily physical fitness of basic training. Well let me tell you that wasn't the case when I joined. Maybe they felt smaller, but I really felt that was because of the body fat lost not the tissue of course.

Well recently I educated myself in gynecomastia and made sure I understood what was going on with my body. Then Boom! It hit me! It wasn't the fat but it was actually the build up of tissue that trully made my physique (spelling) much worse than it actually was. So in the mirror I would turn sideways and cover up my "moobs" and wow. I looked normal. Again from different angles I would do the same and wow I look perfectly normal when they were covered up.

My brother actually had a portion of the gland removed and he noticed a considerably great difference in his chest. He could wear shirts and take off his shirt without being embarrased about his condition. Well finally yesterday I made a appointment at the base hospital. Today they diagnosed me with gynecomastia and gave me a referal to a surgery consult in the coming weeks. I understand all the risks of the surgery and IMO the risks outway the satisfaction and peace of mind not having to worry about my chest again. I have military training that I must attend to in June/July so I hope to have the surgery for August.

1. Do you think they will allow me to schedule the surgery for August (that far in advance?)?

2. I believe the gland removal will be trully the only thing removed (not sure about lypo). With being normal weight with not a great amount of body fat will the gland removal usually take care of the problem?

3. Also what are some good questions to ask the doc when I go in for my consult.

Hi man, and welcome!

I cannot answer your first question, but here it goes:

2. The plastic surgeon usually evaluates the case. Ever case is unique, and it's hard to tell. But if you have minimal amount of fat around your chest area, I'd like to think that they'd only perform excision.

3. One important question is to ask the ps if he does excision. Some ps tend to just use liposuction tools, which has been proved to be very inefficent as in terms of removing the gland.

Offline DCBR78

• Silver Member

Well, I'm not a PS, but here goes.

1.> Quite possibly, depends on where you live and the standard practice of the surgeon you choose. If they only book a couple months in advance, then you can always get a consultation and call in the booking later, I'm sure.

2. The lypo has more to do with the severity of the gyne, I mean a small guy can gave a large breast, so, it would depend on what the PS needs to do to make you look proportional to the rest of your body.

3> Experience being key.. I'd want to know if the PS does Gyne operations often, they dont all specialize. It was hard for me to formulate a lot of questions at first. The nice thing is that after a consultation, you have plenty of time to start thinking of new questions.. and ask them all, it is surgery afterall, you want to feel comfortable going into it.

Best of luck.
Surgery Date: April 9, 2008.
Surgeon: Dr. J C Fielding. (Toronto)
Result: Life is getting better with every day.

Offline militaryman

• Posting Member
Had another questions guys! Thanks for the info tho!

Ok I have been hearing about scar tissue build up after the operation. I am certainly confused on this. I understand the reason for it by reading the docs post, but I am not understanding why it is making so many post op people upset. The scar tissue make you look like you have gynecomastia again or what? I'm sorry but if it was me and I just have the operation finished and I had to deal with a little build up of scar tissue not affecting the contour of my chest I would deal with it. Fill me in guys!

irish lad

from what iv been told and through reading posts.. (i am open to correction)

that scar tissue doesnt make you look like you have gyne its the swelling that people suffer throughout the post op recovery stage might give of a gyne look if the swelling is severe..

but you will be using a vest post op anyway to help you heal properaly.. i suffer from pretty much the same type of gyne u stated glandular problem iv my consultation friday and hope to the op in june so il keep you posted through my posts in d uk section..

good luck!

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Ok I have been hearing about scar tissue build up after the operation. I am certainly confused on this. I understand the reason for it by reading the docs post, but I am not understanding why it is making so many post op people upset.

I agree with you militaryman.

I have read many-a-post about guys massaging like crazy in an effort to 'break up' the scar tissue. Why? Impatience I figure... What's wrong with letting MoNa do her thang... ???

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024