Author Topic: Have you tried using tape to cover your nipples?  (Read 25418 times)

Offline laxsticks

• Posting Member
I do this all the time with soft medical tape by 3m, it's almost clothlike.  Only problem is the pale white mark left behind after taking it off.  It looks like a square farmers tan over your nipples.  Maybe if there was something with a weaker adhesive.

Offline jorgexd

I do use tape too, for me it works fine. It's been almost 5 years i use it, i hope i get courage enough to talk to my mom soon i don't want this to be forever

Offline GodWasAngry

• Silver Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1! And it loves me!
ive tried tape once but it was too noticeable.. i'll try to get my hands on them medical tapes you mentioned :)

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
If you are one of those few people who has used tape for an extended amount of time without adverse effects, You should be thankful and you should stop while you are ahead.

Tape can cause the skin to break down and easily tear after continued use. The result would be ugly scars that would be very difficult to conceal.

Dr Bermant has addressed the use of tape several times in the past, perhaps he will weigh in on this issue again.

Grandpa Dan

Offline charlie1821

• Posting Member
I stopped using it after I started getting those square tan lines and someone noticed.

DrBermant

I do this all the time with soft medical tape by 3m, it's almost clothlike.  Only problem is the pale white mark left behind after taking it off.  It looks like a square farmers tan over your nipples.  Maybe if there was something with a weaker adhesive.

I have seen horrible scars and pigmentation from damage to the skin from tape.  Sometimes the scars and pigmentation fade, for others the deformity is permanent.  Tape is a dangerous technique and not recommended.  Chest Shaping Garments for Gynecomastia are much safer and work better.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia

Offline PSC0002

• Bronze Member
If your problem is such that tape will improve it, why not go get some Under Armor shirts? 

Tape's a bad idea. 

Offline lochsin

"I have seen horrible scars and pigmentation from damage to the skin from tape.  Sometimes the scars and pigmentation fade, for others the deformity is permanent.  Tape is a dangerous technique and not recommended.  Chest Shaping Garments for Gynecomastia are much safer and work better."

This is true and i am scared, i have it, is there a way to get rid of these dark pigmentation fade? plzzzz somoneee help this for me looks worse than my puffy nips.

DrBermant

"I have seen horrible scars and pigmentation from damage to the skin from tape.  Sometimes the scars and pigmentation fade, for others the deformity is permanent.  Tape is a dangerous technique and not recommended.  Chest Shaping Garments for Gynecomastia are much safer and work better."

This is true and i am scared, i have it, is there a way to get rid of these dark pigmentation fade? plzzzz somoneee help this for me looks worse than my puffy nips.

Patience is one option. Such pigmentation may or may be permanent and not fade. Depending on what I find during an evaluation I may recommend for my patient Scar Care and or Second Stage Compression Vest. The compression garment helps with scars. Scars that evolve under pressure do better than scars without pressure. The compression also acts as a Body Shaping Garment which contours without the tape issue.  I have seen such issues resolve over time and others that remained an issue.

Prevention is much better. I have not seen any decent other alternatives for the bizarre pigmentation shapes and scars taping has created.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Chest Sculpture

Offline xoxoxoxo

• Gold Member
I'm also using tape to hide my puffy nipples. I'm suing the transparent one for medical purpose tape also.. it is easy to remove.. but i want this gyne out of my life..

DrBermant

I'm also using tape to hide my puffy nipples. I'm suing the transparent one for medical purpose tape also.. it is easy to remove.. but i want this gyne out of my life..

Be careful, I have seen scars and pigmentation from even medical grade tape. That is why I prefer the compression garment solution.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I agree -- tape is a bad idea.  There can be chronic irritation from the adhesive (yes, even from medical grade tape).  And the irritation can result in pigmentation problems which will last for years.

Not a good idea.  Body shaping garments are much better for the same purpose.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
I agree -- tape is a bad idea.  There can be chronic irritation from the adhesive (yes, even from medical grade tape).  And the irritation can result in pigmentation problems which will last for years. Not a good idea.

Yup, just because it's 'medical grade', does not mean there will not be any adverse affects. Medical grade tape is not intended for prolonged use...  As Doc J mentioned... using tape is not a good idea...

GB...
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Idlewild

• Posting Member
Ahh I tried this once when I was about 13, it didn't work, it was too crinkly and now I know that it can be dangerous for your skin. The best course is to get it taken care of, but if you are like me on longggg waiting periods and you just need a quick fix for a day or two in a month than maybe liquid bandages are a good bet. I use one called New Skin or NewSkin (not the spray kind) and basically you put it on after a shower while your cold and your nipples are, ahem, hard. Lets you go for a day at the beach or pool looking fairly normal. Let it dry while your still cold, and peel it off the next day or the day after. Careful though, don't try peeling it off when it's not ready or you could irritate your skin. It's technically a skin safe product but shouldn't be used too often.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
I note with interest that the original post here was over a year ago and that the thread was inactive for a long time before being recently resurrected.

Anyone reading who has any questions might do well to spend a bit of time looking back through the archives here. There is hardly anything that has not been covered at one time or another.

Then again, perhaps a fresh discussion might be preferable to a lot of time spent in researching the old material.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024