Author Topic: Can the gland regrow after surgery? If you take propecia(side effect gyno)  (Read 4102 times)

Offline johnsmithreturns

• Posting Member

Hi.

I had a question.

If you have surgery and get lipo and the gland removed to have your gynecomastia correct, can that gland ever regrow itself?

I have heard that a side effect to propecia ( Finasteride) is gynecomastia.

Finasteride is a drug that help prevent hair loss but its side effect is gynecomastia

Would there be a chance that the gland tissue grow back and you could get gynecomasia again if you take finasteride to treat hair loss?

Maybe one of the supporting doctors could comment on this?

Thanks everyone.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
As a practical matter, it is not actually to remove all of the glandular tissue.

What remains is usually stabilized and has not been growing for a couple of years or more. After surgery, it remains in this stable condition and does not grow.

BUT----

If a hormonal problem arises in the future and conditions favor the growth of the glandular tissue, Yes it could regrow. Fortunately, the odds are in your favor that this will not happen.

Obviously there are many men that use propecia for a long time with no adverse effect. For a small number of people there are problems such as loss of libido and breast enlargement.

How lucky do you feel?
Grandpa Dan

Offline Pacifico

• Silver Member
I saw a slight increase in my gyne before surgery due to propecia, however, I am still on it and will keep a hawk's eye for any changes.  I hope P Paw is right!

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I have had about 5 or 6 patients who had gyne surgery and then remained on Propecia afterwards.  To this date, none has re-grown his gyne......but one never knows.

I have posed this question directly to the manufacturers of Propecia (Merck Pharm) -- and they have no answers because it has never been studies scientifically.

So to answer your question ----- there is no  answer.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Pacifico

• Silver Member
Dr. Jacobs, you are a true professional!  Thanks for your input.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024