Author Topic: Can 10 year olds have it?  (Read 3631 times)

Offline blondie1088

I have a ten year old son, and I believe he has breasts. I'm not sure what to do. any advice?

Offline usernameX

• Gold Member
Is he overweight?
Had surgery with Dr. J.C. Fielding on August 2nd.

Offline blondie1088

He is alittle overweight. He's almost 5' tall and weighs about 130 pounds. I have a pic that I can send. just let me know.

Offline alk3

• Posting Member
When I first knew something was different, I was in 5th grade.  I was overweight but even the other overweight kids didn't have the breasts like I did.  I was 10 going on 11 that year I believe.

Offline blondie1088

My son is going into the 4th grade. He should be in 5th, but he was held back a year because he is dyslexic.

Offline tnel00son

• Silver Member
10 seems like the youngest case i have ever heard of, i would  recommend seeing and endocrinologist if your concerned and make sure all of his hormone levels are good and whatnot. if you bring him to just a regular family doctor im sure he/she will be able to tell if he has gyne or not. aside from that if he does have it, it usually goes away for 60% of guys right after puberty. I dont want to tell you how to raise your kid but if hes overweight, make sure hes getting enough excersise and try to get him to eat healthier would be one of my suggestions because some kinds of gyne are mostly fat thta can be burned off by just doin some more exercise, but i wouldnt know i havent seen your sons case, basically all im sayin is go to the family doc or an endocrinologist, theyll help you from there. good luck  ;D

Offline tammyvivi

• Posting Member
  • I am my son's advocate.
I can relate to your concern.  My son had to have surgery on a  hip when he was 7yrs old thus was imobile for 3 months and gained some weight.  We noticed the breast development at that point and thought he would out grow it when he hit puberty.  He did not it just got worse.  Apparently he may have gotten the hip condition from the inhaled steriods, which no doc wanted to admit could happen (we finally had a doc say "it was possible".  So, we think the gyne was related to the inhaled steriod asthma medication he was on but, NO ONE will suggest that his gyne is related to inhaled steroids as it is not suppose to be absorbed into the system the way ingested steriods are.  My belief came from his sensitivity to ingested steroids on the few times he has had to take them for his asthma.

So, please look at all the things that could effect gyne including medications.  Please have your son looked at by an endocrinologist first to see if there is anything obvious going on that may be causing his condition.  There are so many reasons for gyne, pin pointing the casue may be impossible but watching his health and growth is not and then doing what you can for him is all you can do.

My son is 14 almost 15 and he just had excision a week ago today and much happier as a whole than he has been in a long time.

Good luck and best wishes.

Offline Blitz

• Gold Member
  • Thank you Fielding
Good post tammyvivi.

If you're son is very young, don't take chances and take him to a doctor who specializes in gyne.  Get a second opinion as well.   Hopefully he'll be able to get them removed because believe me, you don't want your son to be going through highschool with this stuff.  Those are his formative years and it will really affect him...especially when other teens find out.  

Good luck.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2005, 05:32:51 AM by Blitz »

Offline zarathustra

• Posting Member
I  think 10 yr olds can have it..  I'm pretty sure I had it at that age.

I definitely recall experiences when I was even younger than 10 when people would notice my boobs (even if I didn't notice them yet myself...)

Offline usernameX

• Gold Member
Yeah I have little cuzins that have breasts they are 9 and 10. Overweight aswell. Dont think surgery is a good way to go at 10. Like everyone said, see an endo and see what can be done in the next few years.

Is it possible they are just pure fat?

Offline hypo

Graham Ashe quote
Even if he does have breasts, at 10 years old, I wouldn't recommend anything other than a visit to your endochrinologist for a hormonal check if you are that concerned.
Unquote

This is 100% correct.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Gynecomastia in a child that age should always be investigated.   Perhaps he is just starting puberty a bit early and his condition is normal but you really should be sure.
Grandpa Dan

Offline turfpro

• Posting Member
I had it at 10, and was not over weight.  I can remember never wanting to take my shirt off, I could of had it earlyer.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024