Author Topic: Having bilateral mastectomy in 3wks - Military -  (Read 2087 times)

Offline ssurj

Hello!,
I've been lurking this site for years, FINALLY, through a series of events, I am able to get surgery.  I am 34 years old, I am on Active Duty (16yrs now) in the military and stationed in Connecticut.  I have had gynecomastia ever since I can remember, young, young, young.  My dad has it, and my 7 year old son is already showing signs.  

I had a double hernia surgery in Oct 2005, this was my first surgery ever! My wife and I were having "issues" with our marriage, she had moved out, and was "done", left me with 3 kids and decided that she'd missed out on alot with her time with me, so she had some catching up to do.  She is 31 and very beautiful, and was getting attention from boys 11 years her junior.  Well, as you can imagine, this was quite a blow to my self esteem..especially with gyn.  So I decided to make some changes, I lost 40lbs, went from 5'8 200lbs down to 154 today, but they gyn just got smaller, hasn't gone away and she had always told me that "those" didn't matter to her.  Anyways, we reconciled, and she moved back about a month later, we've been doing day by day with progress ever since.   I feel great! look great, except for my gyn.  Well here I am..a few weeks away!

I've always wondered if the military insurance would cover this, and not only that, but getting the nerve to even mention it was enuff for me not to ask.
Well, I finally got the nerve up to ask my military docter one day about a  month ago while he was doing my final follow up from my hernia. I asked him embarrassingly if there was anything that could be done about my "you knows".  I was shocked that 1. He was completely concerned for me, and very compassionate, and 2. That he said "YES" and that the civilian doctor who did my hernia surgery could probably do it. and 3. That it is covered!!!  

I was on cloud 9 when I heard that!!

So...I made a consult with my civilian surgeon, and we talked about the post surgery from my hernia and how I was doing, then, I kinda asked him nonchallantly if he could do anything about my gyn. After a brief inspection, he said, "Definately!" and told me to make the appointment and it was coverd by military, no worries, etc.. etc.....

Here is what I am wondering.
He said there are 2 ways to take care of it.

1. Lypo
2. Mastectomy

He stated he doesn't like doing the lypo and would prefer to do the Mastectomy, and he explained what he would do.  

I do not have any pain, bumps, sores, anything like that in my breasts.

I am excited about having the Mastectomy vs. Lypo, now, can anyone please give me their experiences regarding the two? I've looked all over the site and web, and havn't found much on personal experience, and I trust you guys here, and have found that this is the best place to feel comfortable about talking.

Sorry this is so long-winded, but I felt you should at least know some of my background. Thanks in advance for your replies, and I will post PRE and POST op pics.  

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
I was a USAF Medic, but that was 30 years B4 they started doing male breast reduction surgery so any information I would have would be woefully out of date.

Even though I can't answer your questions, I could not resist posting a "Welcome and Good Luck."
Grandpa Dan

Offline istillgotit

• Posting Member
Unfortunately, I really can't answer your question.  But,  I felt that I should inform you of the fact that I had gyno surgery by a military surgeon when I was in the army.( I had the surgery in 2000)   The doctor was from walter reed( can't remember his name.), but the surgery took place at a nearby facility.  Anyway, be careful with these doctors.  Some of them are practicing and getting their experience on the soldiers.  Post op I relized that the doctor didn't really know what he was doing and of course, the results were not that great.  Thank god he didn't scar me up to bad or worse.  Sorry to ramble, just chose the surgeon wisely, even if it is " covered".  You don't want to come out of surgery with big scars or a sunk in chest.  Ask this surgeon alot of questions!

Offline ssurj

Thanks for your replies so far..  The Dr. that's going to be doing the actual surgery is a civilian, our little clinic here refers people out into town all the time for stuff.  Plus the guy that's doing it is the same one who did my Hernia, and he's great, so no worries in that regard.....

Thanks again, and keep 'em comin!

Offline istillgotit

• Posting Member
No problem, and i am not saying the surgeon you had is not a good one, but an operation for a hernia and gyno are totally different.  Please research this guy's ability and expertice for gyno surgery.
Thanks for your replies so far..  The Dr. that's going to be doing the actual surgery is a civilian, our little clinic here refers people out into town all the time for stuff.  Plus the guy that's doing it is the same one who did my Hernia, and he's great, so no worries in that regard.....

Thanks again, and keep 'em comin!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024