Author Topic: My father doesn't understand gynecomastia  (Read 1636 times)

Offline Alt Solution

As the title says, my father isn't being understanding at all about me wanting to get surgery for gynecomastia.  I explained what it is and everything.  He said he "doesn't believe it", whatever that means.  I'm not sure how since it is pretty noticeable and my doctor even said I have it. I've told him how I want to get surgery, and he treats it the same as a woman getting a boob job! He has said a few times, "Well there are a few things I don't really like about my body but I don't go buy cosmetic surgery."

Maybe it's wrong, but I am not a fan of the guy at all.  He is unreasonable and has trouble understanding things.  He is also "extremely disappointed" with me for being gay too!

Anyway, it would help if he understood because he was probably the one who gave it to me. As a young teen I was misdiagnosed and forced to take meds that probably caused the gyne, and after years off the meds, it hasn't gone away. So, is there something he could read that would help him understand?  Hopefully if he understands, I can get him to help pay for surgery.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Lighten up and look at this from your father's viewpoint.

He does not think that surgery is a necessity, I have the condition myself yet I would agree with him. If you want the surgery bad enough, you will find a way to save the funds needed and do this on your own. This is your problem, not his.

I grew up in a time when male breast reduction surgery was rather uncommon and the results were not often all that good. Without knowing the age of your father, it is possible that he may have come of age when that was the case. Safe effective and reliable surgery of this type has only been around for a bit over twenty years. That twenty year span of time may well include your entire life. For me, at the age of 74, it is only a little while. Your dad is likely somewhere in the middle.

One common thread that we see here often is the idea that someone or something is to blame for our condition. You have said that your dad may be to blame for your condition. The most common cause of Gynecomastia translates to being cause unknown. We have the condition, that is it, there is no one to blame.

The surgery is now safe and effective if done by a surgeon who is well qualified and adept. If the surgery is truly important to you, you'll find a way to earn and save up the money. Like anything truly worthwhile, it will take some time and work to get there.
Grandpa Dan

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024