Author Topic: Relocating to another country post surgery  (Read 2967 times)

Offline hollaholla

• Posting Member
How possible would it be to do extensive traveling just 4 weeks post gyno surgery ? I will be relocating to very hot city in Asia and I am afraid I will sweat like pig with compression west  and that it will be uncomfortable. Should I wait 5-6 weeks or will 4 be enough ?

Also after 4 weeks what would the average result look like ? Is there still swelling or just scar ?

Thank you.

Offline hollaholla

• Posting Member
I should probably mention that I have mild gyno, only puffy niples are problem.

Offline hollaholla

• Posting Member
bump anyone ? Would really need to know more about this since I have to book tickets very soon

Offline ms123

• Posting Member
Ideally most surgeons suggest you wear your vest for 6 weeks, although some surgeons might suggest only 4. I would probably suck it up and just wear the vest in the heat. Everyone heals differently but by 4 weeks you should be comfortable travelling but probably not ready to be doing big hikes or too much physical activity, certainly not wearing a backpack all day. You probably won't have too much swelling of the chest at that stage but probably start to build up scar tissue. So it's up to you, if you really want to enjoy the travelling probably wait 6 weeks, but if you won't be doing too much for the first 2 weeks then just go ahead.

Offline hollaholla

• Posting Member
Ideally most surgeons suggest you wear your vest for 6 weeks, although some surgeons might suggest only 4. I would probably suck it up and just wear the vest in the heat. Everyone heals differently but by 4 weeks you should be comfortable travelling but probably not ready to be doing big hikes or too much physical activity, certainly not wearing a backpack all day. You probably won't have too much swelling of the chest at that stage but probably start to build up scar tissue. So it's up to you, if you really want to enjoy the travelling probably wait 6 weeks, but if you won't be doing too much for the first 2 weeks then just go ahead.

Thanks, this actually helps a lot.

I won't be hiking or anything like that but temperatures where I am going are gonna be pretty high :/ Does west make you sweat a lot more? How uncomfortable is it wearing it in places where you would even normally sweat  ?

Offline ms123

• Posting Member
I had mine done in the middle of winter in the US and I'm living in Canada, so can't really comment on how much it makes you sweat as for me it was nothing, if anything it kept me warm :)

Offline bob1234

• Posting Member
I'm thinking of travelling not so long after my OP (2 months) too, but it worries me there may be minor, but quite common complications, (serotoma/haematoma that needs draining for example), so my advice would be to just 100% make sure you are not going to need to take advantage of any after care your doc offers before you leave. The doctors often say 6 weeks or less to remove vest, but if you get swelling or fluid build up you might need it on for longer than that as evidenced by multiple diaries on here so being in a really hot place might be rather uncomfortable.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024