Author Topic: getting surgery but need advice...  (Read 2878 times)

Offline pharmerjoe

• Silver Member
I am 99% sure I have gyno, and absolutely determined to get surgery. I'm in scotland, but there isn't really much here in terms of gyno surgeons with a known reputation - there is taimur shoaib but not exactly well known on the net it seems, and still toying with that idea... Anyway, while I know everyone advises against this, i will not tell anyone about the surgery. I'm going to pretend I need to go away for work commitments for maybe 1 week. If I go to karidis or levick though, it means I need to travel quite far, and would really need the consultation to be done quite close to actually getting the surgery, although that probably won't be possible. plus, when I come back after that 1 week, I also help out at a family business, but it involves some lifting. Maybe 15-20kg at a time. Would you guys advise against that?
also, i have not told my GP, as I see no point - the NHS is a waste of time in my opinion. But, do i need to get the blood tests myself from somewhere, or could the plastic surgeon have that sorted out for me? (with a fee of course)

Offline Choda

• Silver Member
From what I understand after surgery your gonna be very sore, you won't be able to lift your arms above your head ect. Your probably gonna need at least 2 weeks off maybe, then you should be alright for light lifting but 15/20kg might be too much.

You can get your blood test from Karidis/Leverick but they will charge you for it.

All the best fella, I hope everything gets sorted out nicely.

Offline waves

• Silver Member
Ya, lifting that much weight could be a problem, but there is an easy solution...."pull" a back muscle.  I was 2 weeks post-op when my folks called to help them move some furniture.  Oops, instant back injury and I was 'relieved from duty'.  If back doesn't work for you then pick shoulder or bicep or knee or hamstring.  You get the picture.

I also didn't tell anyone, not even my GP.  Only my wife knows.

Offline pharmerjoe

• Silver Member
thanks guys, yeah I'll try my best to get at least 2 weeks away from work. Could book a hotel in London but some high prices  :-\ , can anyone suggest a hotel fairly close to st johns. Birmingham would be cheaper but got some relatives there and may end up bumping into them so that could prove disastrous.

Offline Choda

• Silver Member
You could get the surgery, stay in London if your going with Karadis and the next morning make your way out of London by train and stay in Manchester or something? Or outside London?

Could you not take 2 weeks off and then claim another week due to sickness?

Offline pharmerjoe

• Silver Member
 I actually stay with parents currently, but would basically just be staying away myself for that time. could perhaps rent one of those self-catering apartment places, would be cheaper than a hotel. In addition to me helping at family business, I have my own job which varies in the amount of work I get. So I could just spend another week pretending to be at that work, then just go and meet friends or whatever. Thats covered anyway, so could spend 3 weeks away from lifting anything. London is looking like the option now, but the problem is I have to go in for a consultation first and London is really far to go just for the consultation, may try asking beforehand if consultation can just be done like day or 2 before surgery.

Offline pharmerjoe

• Silver Member
the more I think about this, London is quite far away for me to be getting surgery. There is also the follow-up consultations, what if something goes wrong and I need revision? Not to add sky high costs of apartments/hotels in London. There is Taimur Shoaib in Glasgow and it costs roughly 3600 quid with him. If I went for him it wouldn't be on price though, it would be due to it being closer to where I live. Nobody seems to know anything on this surgeon though, so thats why I am drawn towards going with Karidis.

Offline Choda

• Silver Member
Go with the best surgeon fella, I know its far for you but surely its worth it in the long run?

Offline chopper

• Silver Member
Catch a flight down from Scotland, I flew from Southampton to Prestwick for £62 return with Ryan Air or Easy Jet (cant remember) and Im sure London airports will cost a bit more, but the flight took 45 minutes, was the best way I've ever travelled to Scotland...will never drive again now  ;D

I doubt you will be lifting 15 - 20kgs without really damaging the tissue underneath and causing serious swelling and further delaying healing. I've said what others have " busted my back and the doc has suggested wearing this rather silly garment"...said I cant drive as the neck is stiff to boot. I would take 2 to 3 weeks off if I was in your shoes

Offline pharmerjoe

• Silver Member
Actually didn't even think of flying there  ;D . I will probably now just split it, and have the consultation in few weeks maybe stay a day or 2, then wait another few weeks for the procedure and stay for about 2 weeks in a rented flat. I was thinking of when I get the operation done, just stay in london for another night or 2, then go back to Glasgow but will the op take a lot out of me? And would it be safe for me to carry a small suitcase and catch a plane back that soon after it?

Also not sure if I am correct, but does the fee with Karidis include if you ever need to get any revision surgery? i.e. it will be done free?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 03:55:55 PM by pharmerjoe »

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024