Author Topic: Surgery results were horrible! I'd like to get myself fixed. Doctors? Advice?  (Read 5350 times)

Offline Byron

Hi everyone,

I had my surgery when I was 12 years old (20 years ago). My GP suggested it and my parents, who thought the doctors knew best, agreed. I live in Ottawa and had the surgery at CHEO. The surgeon was apparently very good and told my parents of all the great surgeries he had performed. Well, my results were terrible! I feel like he butchered me. My nipples are sunken in and even fold over.

I am now 32 and I'm thinking about getting it fixed. I'm married with children so I'm not doing this to meet girls. I'm doing it to feel better about myself. I want to be able to go to the water parks with my kids and not be embarrassed about the way my chest looks.

Can this be fixed? Are there any doctors out there that can give me hope?
Does anyone have any success stories of their reconstruction after having the original surgery?

Thanks!

DrBermant

Hi everyone,

I had my surgery when I was 12 years old (20 years ago). My GP suggested it and my parents, who thought the doctors knew best, agreed. I live in Ottawa and had the surgery at CHEO. The surgeon was apparently very good and told my parents of all the great surgeries he had performed. Well, my results were terrible! I feel like he butchered me. My nipples are sunken in and even fold over.

I am now 32 and I'm thinking about getting it fixed. I'm married with children so I'm not doing this to meet girls. I'm doing it to feel better about myself. I want to be able to go to the water parks with my kids and not be embarrassed about the way my chest looks.

Can this be fixed? Are there any doctors out there that can give me hope?
Does anyone have any success stories of their reconstruction after having the original surgery?

Thanks!

Check out this Video of A Gynecomastia Surgery Crater Deformity Defect Scar.  Crater defects just do not look good.

Options for revision of Crater Deformity Scars after Gynecomastia Surgery depend on the original problem, what was done, what resources are left, after care, scar care, how the patient healed, and many other factors best explored during an evaluation.  I prefer to leave a natural layer of fat between the skin and the muscle that preserves natural motion of tissues.  When the layers scar together and there are adequate resources to revise the scars, then revision surgery may be an option.  I have revised many such deformities from other doctor's operations. Unfortunately I also have seen so many other patients where there is just nothing left to rebuild with.  A Fat Flap Gynecomastia Sculpture takes nearby fat, trying to maintain its blood supply, and filling the defect with living fat.   The fat flap moves like normal fat.

Standard After Gynecomastia Surgery Pictures can show the extent of the problem, and often, remaining resources for possible reconstruction.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Revision Gynecomastia and Chest Surgery

Offline Byron

Thanks for the info, Doctor.

Perhaps there are other people on here that have had a similar experience as I have who have had the revision surgery. Is there anybody out there? I'd like to hear your stories about revision and the process you went through to get it done.

My plan is to visit my GP. (Different than the one who suggested surgery.) I'll ask for a referral and the files on my 20 year old surgery. I was also thinking about having some independent consultations with some other surgeons. Everyone on this site from Ontario seem to highly recommend Dr. Fielding in Toronto and I'd be willing to go to him if he is that good.

The thing that bothers me about this whole thing is that I was 12 when I had the surgery. 12!! I don't blame my parents because why wouldn't the doctors know best, right? I do wish they would have done some more research on the topic but the internet wasn't available. :) I didn't get a say in whether or not I even wanted the surgery. To this day, my mother still feels a lot of guilt over having me go through that. I know what's done is done and that I should move on but this has scarred me (no pun intended) for my whole life. I just hope that after revision surgery that I can fine a bit of closure.

It's nice to find a community of folks who are going or who have gone through the same thing as me.

Thanks for listening.

DrBermant

Thanks for the info, Doctor.

Perhaps there are other people on here that have had a similar experience as I have who have had the revision surgery. Is there anybody out there? I'd like to hear your stories about revision and the process you went through to get it done.

My plan is to visit my GP. (Different than the one who suggested surgery.) I'll ask for a referral and the files on my 20 year old surgery. I was also thinking about having some independent consultations with some other surgeons. Everyone on this site from Ontario seem to highly recommend Dr. Fielding in Toronto and I'd be willing to go to him if he is that good.

The thing that bothers me about this whole thing is that I was 12 when I had the surgery. 12!! I don't blame my parents because why wouldn't the doctors know best, right? I do wish they would have done some more research on the topic but the internet wasn't available. :) I didn't get a say in whether or not I even wanted the surgery. To this day, my mother still feels a lot of guilt over having me go through that. I know what's done is done and that I should move on but this has scarred me (no pun intended) for my whole life. I just hope that after revision surgery that I can fine a bit of closure.

It's nice to find a community of folks who are going or who have gone through the same thing as me.

Thanks for listening.

You can read Gynecomastia Revision Surgery Experiences here.  There are more Revision Gynecomastia Surgery Stories here

We see patients from Canada and around the world who prefer my techniques.  Most start with our Preliminary Remote Discussion to minimize travel. 

Patients do not need a referral for our office.  If interested, Jane is my office manager and can explain the process.  She can normally be reached at our office by phone Monday - Friday 9-5 Eastern Time at (804) 748-7737.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Revision Gynecomastia and Chest Surgery

Offline dondante

• Gold Member
First off, welcome to the board! I must say my heart goes out to you for what you've experienced - it's terrible. Research these boards thoroughly. From all I've read, Dr. Fielding is one of the best out there - at gyne removal. Yours is a case of chest re-construction, make sure that whoever you use has experience specifically in this field. I wish you the best of luck!

Offline Byron

Thanks, Dondante. I plan to research quite extensively. I'm hoping that some people out there will read this an post similar stories and tell me about their reconstruction.

It's great that a board like this exists!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024