Author Topic: Consulted family doctor  (Read 3854 times)

Offline kajivan

• Posting Member
I just consulted my family doctor and he said he is going to make a consultation appointment with a surgeon in regards to gynecomastia  surgery.

Since im going through my family doctor, is it safe to presume that the surgeon will only charge me for lippo, and everything else will be covered by OHIP???
(I am presuming this surgeon will perform the surgery in a hospital).

OR is it recommended to go directly to dr fielding? Also, if consult dr fielding, do I have to pay consultation fees?

PLEASE HELP??

Offline dondante

• Gold Member
If you live in the Greater Toronto Area, and you want to go the OHIP route I would STRONGLY suggest you book a consult with Dr. Fielding, regardless of whether there's a consultation fee or not.

Offline Merangue

• Silver Member
If you go directly to Dr. Fielding, you won't be charged a consultation fee. Unless you show up to the consultation without your health card, then they will charge you $100 (this is what his secretary told me).

If you live in ontario, forget what your doctor told you and just call up JCF's office. If you live out of province, and you don't mind the commute, I'd still go with JCF, he's the best in Canada.

Also, yes, most likely your GP is NOT referring you to a private clinic so lipo is all you would pay for and it would be done in a hospital. Unless you reside in Quebec.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 10:14:52 AM by Merangue »

Offline Ushta

• Posting Member
I wasted a lot of time with a family doctor too, I mean he wasn't exactly a family doctor he was a doctor in a walk in clinic here in our city. I thought he should refer me to a plastic surgeon but JCF can receive you without referral.

The doctor made me do bunch of useless tests and didn't call, I called him after a while then he started looking for a plastic surgeon, he found one in a city close to me. But Gynecomastia surgery is something pretty serious so you should know you are going to a surgeon that knows what he is doing and has done lots of it in past. So yeah I'd say forget about your family doctor find a reputable doctor it's worth paying a little extra for a trip if you are not close to one, do your homework make sure you are in good hands.

Good luck

Offline kajivan

• Posting Member
I have an appointment with JCF this thurs :).

I was wondering if anyone knows that wait time for a surgery?

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
As Merangue stated, if you have an Ontario health card, you will not be charged a consult fee. OHIP will take care of that for you. All you will have to pay for is the lipo portion of the procedure (approx $2000).

The wait time for surgery will vary dude... It all depends on how busy JCF is. If you are in a rush to have the procedure done, you can call once in a while to see if they have any cancellations...

GB...

Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Grandpa Bambu

JCF can receive you without referral.

However... when you make 'The Call', you have to say that you want to arrange a consultation for 'Gynecomastia'. If you don't tell Leslie that you want to see the Doc about Gynecomastia, then they will ask for a referral...

GB...

Offline kajivan

• Posting Member
Ya, i told her that i want an appointment for gyno, she said if i dont bring my health card then i will have to pay 100 up front for consultation.

IM really excited because i've always been limited to the type of clothes i wear when i go out and i always get discouraged when i go to the beach. I hope everything goes well this thursday and i can have my surgery soon.  :D

Offline Grandpa Bambu

IM really excited because i've always been limited to the type of clothes i wear when i go out and i always get discouraged when i go to the beach.

I hear ya there broh...

I hope everything goes well this thursday and i can have my surgery soon.  :D

Hmmm, JCF usually does his consults on Mondays...

GB...

Offline don_joe

• Silver Member
I'd still go with JCF, he's the best in Canada.
I say Lista is the best. He is clearly an international reference in GRS. He also uses a better technique which involves no incision around the aureole. See for yourself here. Look at his credentials on the same site. He's more than twice as expensive as Fielding but the extra cash is totally worth spending.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 08:47:41 AM by don_joe »

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024