Author Topic: Numbness and Lumpiness - 8 days post op  (Read 7332 times)

Offline T-Cups

• Bronze Member
Ok, so I'm 8 days Post Op, and I'm seeing some crazy numbness.  A large part of my left chest area has been numb since day 1 post.  

So is some of my right side.  And when I say numb, I mean I can't feel it when I scratch or something... I don't think the inside is numb because I can feel when I poke, but the skin doesn't seem to feel scratching.

You know my question.. :D  Is this normal?  

Also, and please tell me if the hard lumpy areas are because of swelling.   If it IS swelling, it's only just started today.  How long until it goes away?  

Thanks again for all your help guys.  

Offline usernameX

• Gold Member
Sorry budd, dont have any advice from you. Maybe you can try and get a hold of your PS and see what he says. Hope your alright. :)
Had surgery with Dr. J.C. Fielding on August 2nd.

Offline Pferdestärken

• Silver Member
  • Fixed 03/06/05 by the incredible Mr Paul Levick!
    • My Diary
I think the numbness and lumps are pretty normal, though much depends on what you had done! If you had any degree of lipo then yes, its to be expected. I certainly hope so, I'm 10 days post op and have exactly the same!

The lumps should be "scar tissue" and is expected. It will go away eventually, but your PS should be able to advise you on a massage regime to help in that process.

That said,  if you are concerned about any sudden changes then you must consult your surgeon - don't mess about waiting for an answer here, you won't get one - even if anyone qualified were reading they'll need to actually see you to make any diagnosis. Get on the phone to the surgeon!

Good luck!
Pics | Op 3/6/05 Mr Paul Levick

Offline T-Cups

• Bronze Member
Had my follow up with Dr. Fielding, he said I was healing well, thought there was some fluid building up in my left side but nothing came out when he tried draining it.  

Says the left side is just swelling and it should go away in a few days.   He said I should be able to do whatever I want in about 1 more week.  

I don't know about that because right now, because the swollen areas hurt llike a bitch if I run/jog... the jiggle effect you see.  

I still have some numbness around the nipples but i think it's getting better cuz I feel more in the are, albeit i feel pain..haha.  

Anyway... we'll see in a week what happens.  

Offline T-Cups

• Bronze Member
short week ;)

17 Days Post Op
coming towards the end of another work day... not wearing compression anymore.  

and I forgot to say this... but on my left side, there's a part of the areola where it looks like the 'dark' skin on top had come off, exposing the pink underneath, right by where the stiches are.  

Not sure how this happened, only that it was there when the nurse took of the tape that holds down the stiches.  There was some dried blood (i think) on it, and that came off with the tape.

It was like gross looking and pink when the tape came off (three days ago), but it is less pink now, and looking more like the skin on the palm of my hand.  I don't know if it will ever be the same colour as the rest of the areola again, but as long as the sick pink look is gone, I think I'll do ok.  

Just don't want it as a conversation piece you know? "um uh.. yah.. surgery... pass me another bud".  

Anyway, here are more updates:

- I have a fairly hard lump/mass right behind my nipples, probably around 2 inches in diameter, which I'm assuming is scar tissue + swelling.  

- right nipple is COMPLETELY numb, like, I mean totally.  Believe me when I tell you that I would NOT feel it if someone just chopped it off.... Trust me, I tried pinching it and stuff.  I know you're supposed to lose sensitivity in that area, but i didn't know it would be completely NUMB... I think this is normal part of the process though and will see if it improves in the coming weeks.

In contrast, the left nipple (way more work done on the left side) has a fair bit of feeling despite the swelling and general 'panic' happening in that area.  

wierd.

That's it, will keep you guys posted.

Offline Raven

• Silver Member
 I know you're supposed to lose sensitivity in that area, but i didn't know it would be completely NUMB... I think this is normal part of the process though and will see if it improves in the coming weeks.

T-Cups,

You say that your supposed to lose sensitivity in that area. Do you mean temporarily, or permanently?
Because by the sounds of it, it seems to me like you mean permanent loss of feeling in the nips?
Is this what is to be expected after surgery?
First time I hear of this, just want to know.
Thanks,

Offline toronto

• Silver Member
  • Gyne Free since April 27, 2005
for me the sensitivity actually went up right after surgery and now i'ts back down to normal levels...

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Both my areolas and nipples went numb. They are both okay now tho....  :)

You have to expect the body to react like this. Just think of the trauma it has just endured. :o

John.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2005, 01:05:50 PM by Bambu »
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline T-Cups

• Bronze Member

T-Cups,

You say that your supposed to lose sensitivity in that area. Do you mean temporarily, or permanently?
Because by the sounds of it, it seems to me like you mean permanent loss of feeling in the nips?
Is this what is to be expected after surgery?
First time I hear of this, just want to know.
Thanks,

Doc said there would be some decrease in sensitivity and I'm pretty sure he meant permanently.  

And I'm also 100% sure he didn't mean that it would be completely numb permanently... i mean this is pretty drastic.  Bambu also experienced it and in his case he was back to normal after a while (thanks for the input bambu!).  

So I'm hoping the same will happen to me.  Right now it feels REALLY wierd :)

But i'm happy with the results so far.. my chest actually looks like I have pecs now instead of just boobs.  

Offline Raven

• Silver Member
Good stuff T-cups....
Keep up updated... and take some pics if you can, it's nice to see sucess stories before and after'  ;)

Offline T-Cups

• Bronze Member
Good stuff T-cups....
Keep up updated... and take some pics if you can, it's nice to see sucess stories before and after'  ;)

eesh, sorry, don't think I'll be taking pics anytime soon, although I didn't take any 'before' pics so there wouldn't be any context anyway.  

To give you an idea, my left boob protruded about 4-5 inches when measured from the side of my chest, and I could see my nipples clearly when I looked down.  Nips were puffy when warm and pointy when cold... and I believe they got pointy when I was having sex too... just like the girls' nipples!

Anyway, immediately post-op, before the swelling took place, I couldn't really see my nipples when I looked down because the curve of my pec was in the way, and the nipple/areola area had been retracted quite a bit due the op.  

However, when the swellling started (MUCH worse on my left side, where there had been more work), it was a little disconcerting, like a bad horror move, "The Return of Gyne" lol... i thought oh shit.  

BUT, Doc said it was swelling, tried to drain fluid, etc (see above), and it is coming down slowly but surely.  Depending on the time of day and activity level, the swelling goes up and down slightly but the general trend is down.  

So, right pec is sweet, left one is still a little puffed up, i can feel some scar tissue (hard stuff) behind the areolas... hopefully it'll go down to the level it  was Post-op, and I see no reason why it shouldn't, unless I really am retaining fluid in the area, which can be drained.  

BTW, went to the gym yesterday for the first time in like a month, did some light cardio on the ellipticals.  Elliptical is definitely recommended for least amount of jiggle.   Felt good, although had to watch the bouncing sometimes.  

In the last 6 days, my discomfort level has drastically reduced, making the cardio possible.  I coulda lifted weights easily a few days ago, but I went with doc's orders and waited a week after my fol up.  

Offline Grandpa Bambu

But i'm happy with the results so far.. my chest actually looks like I have pecs now instead of just boobs.  

Cool eh!!!! ;)

John out...

Offline Zardoz

• Silver Member
  • exciting
My left side is still a bit numb. I got freaked out could hear the hollow space inside; like when you open your mouth and scratch your cheek. But feeling is coming back now.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2005, 12:01:30 AM by Zardoz »

Offline Grandpa Bambu

But feeling is coming back now.

That's good to hear Dude!  ;)

John.

Offline T-Cups

• Bronze Member
5 weeks post op and the swelling/lumpiness on the left side has reduced, but only slightly.

My left still looks like I have a slight case of gyne, which may or may not be the case (doc didn't tell me if he took all of it out or not), but it is still shaped funny and looks/feels swollen and slightly warm to the touch, i'm guessing because of the scar-tissue build up.

I feel slight discomfort on my left side.. it's nothing like the discomfort felt immediately post-op, this is MUCH milder... but I still feel like there's something there that shouldn't be (again, guessing I feel the scar tissue).  I feel the need to press on the left-front side every now and then to 'compress' it down, but I think that just makes it more uncomfortable.

On the other hand (literally) the right side couldn't be more perfect.  

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024