Author Topic: Surgery with Fielding - overnight stay?  (Read 2213 times)

Offline dman56

I am having surgery with Dr. Fielding this week, February 28th. I am so excited, and a bit nervous, to finally get this done and get on with my life. I told the secretary to book me as early as possible in the morning because I'm having someone pick me up who needs to be at work by 3PM (hopefully I won't have it done too early like 6:00AM!).

I've been reading some of the posts and notice that some stay overnight at the hospital. I am wondering if I'll be at a disadvantage by going straight home after the surgery? At the hospital the nurses check in on you every hour. But at home, you basically have to check yourself. How do I know there isn't a hematoma or complication developing under all those bandages and the vest (which has to stay on for a week to my understanding)?

Appreciate any response.

Offline loman1

• Posting Member
the nurses basically just lightly push down on the top part of your chest which is visible just above the vest.  If its hard then you have a hematoma developing, otherwise you are fine.  There are also other signs like discoloration or bruising.  From what I recall you will get a chance to have a chat with the doctor before you go under so you could ask him. You also get to speak to a nurse before hand and you could ask her for more detail as well.

Good luck in the surgery man.  You've picked a good doctor.  I'm almost 4 weeks post-op and the results look great.  I am kicking myself that I didn't get this done sooner. 

Offline brebguy

• Silver Member
  • Montrealer
its funny how everybody talks about nurses coming to check if you have hematomas every hour or so... never happend to me... some interns came the next morning to check but that was it. a nurse will indeed check on you every hour to see if you have pain and all. which in my case was none.

but maybe i iwas just mistreated lol...

all in all though... i'm glad i stayed at the hospital... especially for drainage... the bed was really nasty when i woke up the next morning.
surgery did not work...:-(
Dr. Fielding (TO - Ontario : 416.766.8890) on august 9th, 2006 and revision on september 21st, 2007

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024