Author Topic: Healing from Gynecomastia surgery in New Zealand (middle earth)-advice from Drs?  (Read 3849 times)

Offline khanbaloch

• Posting Member
Healing from Gynecomastia surgery in New Zealand (middle earth)-advice from Drs?

so I had my bilateral mastectomy where they excised the breast tissue via incision through the aerola about 10 days ago. It was covered by the public health system and i didn't get a say on the choice of drs.

I had drains for 6 days and only given a compression dressing for the first 24 hours. About 150 grams of breast tissue was taken out from each breast.

I didn't have any bruising but have started to discover hard painful mass underneath both aerolas and to the sides near the arms.

I've attached both pre-and post pics here. I would be happy to help with any queries.

In return :), may I please get some advise from the learned folk here and the Drs (especially Dr Elliot Jacobs who would have been my first choice had I been in the US):

1. I asked my surgeon and 2 other surgeons who came to review post op whether I needed compression vest. Every time I was said no. Except for the first 24 hours, I have had no compression, and have been moving without any support.
How bad is it to go without compression? I'm on the 10th day now, should I go for an underarmour option?

2. I am quite pleased with the profile contours but the angles still look really weird and there is tenderness there where i feel the hard lumps. Should I be massaging this area or just leave as is (considering i'm not wearing any compression).

3. would you think i still need to get lipo done to get rid of the fat (hopefully not gyno anymore!?) that you can still see in the post pictures?

greetings from the Shire

Offline khanbaloch

• Posting Member
the weird angles post op... scar/swelling/messed up for ever/need lipo?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
From the photos, you do appear smaller -- though the photos are small and dark and hard to discern much else..

Can't comment on the tender areas that you have -- they could be areas of localized swelling or even small collections of blood.

As for compression, I generally recommend at least one month of compression -- I feel very strongly about it.  But other docs may differ.  Certainly, I think you cannot harm yourself if you were to wear a snug Under Armour shirt (or the like).

How does it feel to be on the "other side?"

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline siphon

• Silver Member
The surgery is a start, but you've got a really big belly, ie you have excess fat on your body. Losing that will help with your profile everywhere. Surgery is not a replacement for eating well and exercising. Looks good now, but the rest is up to you.

Offline khanbaloch

• Posting Member
From the photos, you do appear smaller -- though the photos are small and dark and hard to discern much else..

Can't comment on the tender areas that you have -- they could be areas of localized swelling or even small collections of blood.

As for compression, I generally recommend at least one month of compression -- I feel very strongly about it.  But other docs may differ.  Certainly, I think you cannot harm yourself if you were to wear a snug Under Armour shirt (or the like).

How does it feel to be on the "other side?"

Dr Jacobs

Thanks doctor Jacobs. I'm happy I've had the operation but still a bit bittersweet in that I feel I may still need some lipo down the track. I'll post better photos in a couple of days.
The area underneath the nipple is still very hard and so are the sides closest to the arms. Though the pain has gone away, I still feel swishing of liquid in the left side.

Offline khanbaloch

• Posting Member
The surgery is a start, but you've got a really big belly, ie you have excess fat on your body. Losing that will help with your profile everywhere. Surgery is not a replacement for eating well and exercising. Looks good now, but the rest is up to you.

Too true brother. The first thing I noticed too after the operation was how big the belly now looked. Fully intending to start p90x in 2 more weeks wheN its four weeks after the operstion.
Not sure if i should wait more time before starting p90x
Also keen to know what diet helps post operation healing

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024