Author Topic: Countdown to NHS op  (Read 3375 times)

Offline zaphodb

• Posting Member
Hi,

Just found this forum and it’s a really good read. I am 32, I have to say a bit overweight but haven’t always been podgy, and had, what I have found out this summer to be gynecomastia, since I was 17.

Like many here the condition has made me self conscious: it affects the way I dress, the way I stand and sit, the reluctance to take part in sports (coz they bounce!) and if someone moves their hand towards my chest I must jump about 3 feet backwards every time (assuming I can see their hand coming!)

My wife, who doesn’t have a problem with “them” (if you are like me, you may not like even mentioning the word) however would like me to lose a bit weight, felt that our son would pick up on the way I acted. Coupled with the fact that I wouldn’t take him swimming (You want me to go swimming? With other people around?) or contemplate a beach or activity holiday, prompted her to mention it next time I was at the doctors. It wasn’t something I really wanted to discuss with someone but I did mention it to the locum who was very sympathetic (and fantastic). He then referred me! I’ve had one hospital visit to be examined by a consultant and, 7-8 months later, I am getting the op done on the NHS for which I am very grateful.

The op is in two weeks: I’m a little apprehensive obviously, as it is an operation but the prospect of being flat chested makes it well worth it.

I’m getting admitted on a Sunday afternoon and don’t know when the actual operation is going to be done however have taken Monday to Wednesday off work on holiday to recover. I just hope that’s enough as I don’t have any more holidays!

I’ve taken the days off as holiday as personal details have a habit of escaping from our HR Department so I’ve decided to keep the operation from them. To be honest, I don’t know if I had a sick line what it would say and if they did contact my GP would they be obligated to say the reason I was off work was due to a breast reduction? Oh I can imagine those smirks!

Anyway, I’ll keep you informed on how I go. Cheers lads.

Offline chestrockwell

• Silver Member
Nice job!, good luck my man your gunna love having nothing blocking your view when looking at your feet ;).

As far as your work finding out from your GP that you have had breast reduction, i think the chance is "0", if i remember correctly they are no aloud to divulge any information about any patiants to anybody but the patiant in question. geg100 will probabley be able to give you a more detailed/accurate discription of the law regarding this!.

As regards to having time off from work, i and a couple of other guys had the op on the same day "9th November" and i am only just going back to work this monday coming!, i have a physicaly demanding job so i couldt risk going to work not being sufficiently  healed.

good luck m8 ;)

chris.

Offline webster

• Silver Member
Good 4 u.
It is a great feeling taking your kids swimming - it's what made me take the 'plunge', wish I'd looked into surgery years ago.
ATB. Webster.

Offline zaphodb

• Posting Member
Well, slightly disappointing new to report.

I went into hospital (fasted from midnight, the usual), checked in or whatever you call it, then when the consultant was doing the rounds he told me that he wouldn’t do it.

He is, by speciality, a breast surgeon and he told me that if he did it, it would leave flaps of skin (as there’s too much tissue) and is referring me to a plastic surgeon. (It was one of his colleagues who saw me before earlier on in the year).

As I said, it is slightly disappointing as I had psyched myself up for the event however I can totally see where the surgeon is coming from and appreciate him not doing it just because I was there.

So back on the NHS waiting list and I can’t and won’t grumble: its not a life or death situation I am in and I’ve not got flaps of skin where my boobs are, the surgeon made the right call as far as I am concerned, just a bit of a shame that it’s a bit of wait.

I just just took 2 of my intended days off work and enjoyed the days I took off with the wife (who also took time off) and the kid.

Offline chestrockwell

• Silver Member
oh unlucky m8, well i suppose its better to have the job done by the right bloke, i mean you wouldnt like a plumber doing the electrics in your house :P, yeah it was a good call from the surgeon and you should be glad he didnt risk it, just a bit of a bummer getting all ready and geared up and to be told no surgery today. well keep your chin up m8 your time will come soon enough and you will be asking the questions i am now about massaging, healing, scar tissue, the list goes on ;)

good luck m8, keep us posted!

chris.

Offline ruggedtoast

• Silver Member
Youre being very understanding about it, more than I would be to be honest considering that they wasted all your time, not to mention the worry of psyching yourself up for an op that they hadnt bothered to check there was a competent doctor to perform.

Better luck next time, have my appointment to see an nhs ps next week.

Offline Worrier

• Gold Member
Yeah I would be rather miffed if that happened to me. I'm suprised You were not told that a procedure done by a general breast surgeon would not be adequate earlier in this process, it generally isn't. ::)

the Ps is the way to go. Just a shame you were mucked about.Still at least he ddin't do it and you were left with the 'flaps'.

Best of luck.

Offline ruggedtoast

• Silver Member
Good grief, imagine complaining to the NHS about flaps.

Offline zaphodb

• Posting Member

Offline radio-boy

• Posting Member
I'm suprised You were not told that a procedure done by a general breast surgeon would not be adequate earlier in this process, it generally isn't. ::)

Is this true? i too have been refered to a breast surgeon on the NHS  :-[

Offline phantom

• Gold Member
The more I read about NHS referrals, the more concerned I become.  I am guessing that because gynaecomastia is only becoming a commonly discussed, diagnosed and treated condition and therefore patients are not, on the whole being directed to the right people.  On these boards it seems NHS patients are being bounced around, not to mention the wait for several months, if not a year or more.

But as ever we don't grumble.  Basically, it does not matter if NHS patients are referred to breast surgeons, general surgeons of plastic surgeons.  All of those may or may not be capable or experienced in male chest reduction/sculpture.  However, credit to those surgeons that pass on this procedure if they do not think they are skilled enough to deal with it.  But patients should not be referred to them in the first place!

My surgeon told me that on average, plastic/breast/general surgeons that mainly work within the NHS may perform two or three male chest reductions a year - a very low caseload when you consider they might be performing around 200 operations a year, mainly on women (chest reduction on the ladees is a very different procedure to men).

That is probably the main reason why I decided to go private, to be sure that the person butchering me had plenty of experience in the first place.  That is not to say that your NHS surgeon is any less equipped to deal with it, I just wanted to confident by knowing who was going to deal with me in the first place.

Offline Worrier

• Gold Member

Is this true? i too have been refered to a breast surgeon on the NHS  :-[

I went to see a general Breast surgeon first, who said the procedure he would do would leave a noticable scar, and the trade off for getting rid of the gyno would not be worth it. He said a PS would give me a better result in terms of cosmetic outcome.

He then referred me to an NHS plastic surgeon. who confirmed that a PS is the best person to see for a male breast reduction (I was angry at another six month wait and moaned at her ;D'. Obviously your surgeon my have more experience with Male breast reduction.Good luck.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024