Author Topic: 36B or 36B the choice is now easy  (Read 1306 times)

Gino

I have found that nearly 100% of the time 36B bras that hook up front fit me perfectly under the bust (cups still may be a bit too small or large), while rear hook styles mostly do not fit even on the last hook. It makes me wonder why they put three sets of hooks to actually make them smaller. 

I've read that the shape of the male torso has something to do with it, but I'm not convinced that the tape measure is wrong :-)

Anyway, I was rooting around in a large box full of bras marked 36A and 36B in a nearby thrift shop and a gal that worked there passed by saying I could have the whole box  for $40! A casual observation looked like a good half still had new tags on them and the rest appeared nearly new.  Maybe, but I wound up with the whole box and while I haven't counted them all I bet there's a good 40-50 garments and a large number new and from Vicky's secret AND front hook!

Discontinued styles donated by stores? Women who grew out of them? 

I did find a few so far that were Waayyy too small (marked 36 but 32-34 was about right) and my liberal girlfriend gladly accepted them like manna from heaven :-)

Anyway, as a bit of a surprise, a few marked 36A fit perfectly. Some are pretty... well pretty lacy as well as sheer I find I like them all quite a bit. I had not considered frilly garments as an option, but when life gives you lace, I guess it's not all bad. 

Busted (and happy)

Sounds like you got a real bargain and an ideal opportunity to experiment.
Great to hear it has helped you to discover lace.
Lace Is "nice" but is also extremely practical and comfortable being cool and also, in its non stretch iterations, very supportive which is something we are all seeking.
Happy hunting and experimentation! 

Offline Moobzie

• Silver Member
From Gino:
"while rear hook styles mostly do not fit even on the last hook. It makes me wonder why they put three sets of hooks to actually make them smaller."

The sets of hooks are to counter bra stretch as it gets older.  We're supposed to start with the loosest set when the bra is new, and as it wears and stretches out over time to segue to the tighter set(s).
When getting a bra that's new, it should be fitted for the loosest set of hooks.

Offline gotgyne

I have found that nearly 100% of the time 36B bras that hook up front fit me perfectly under the bust (cups still may be a bit too small or large), while rear hook styles mostly do not fit even on the last hook. It makes me wonder why they put three sets of hooks to actually make them smaller.
That's very interesting. I often read that front hook bras don't fit for many women. So if they fit you as a man you can be glad. Plus if they fit, they solve the problem of the visible hooks and eyes in the back, which reveal that the person is wearing a bra. No hooks and eyes, no hint of a bra.
I have not tried a front hook bra yet.
A bra is just an article of clothing for people with breasts.

Busted (and happy)

Personally I find front opening bras more difficult to get adjusted. Also regardless of whether they are hooked or have a clip fastening they are a real pain. 
Keep the hardware at the back as far as I am concerned
« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 03:24:27 AM by Busted (and happy) »

Offline Johndoe1

I talked to my fitter about front hook bras and she said that since there are no adjustment eyes, the useful life of a front honk bra is about 1/3 that of a regular bra. If you don't need one due to mobility issues, she didn't think front hooks were good value.
Womanhood is not defined by breasts, and breasts are not indicative of womanhood. - Melissa Fabello

Busted (and happy)

Hi John
As much as I dislike it on the grounds of stretching the band of the bra, I would advocate those with mobility issues to hookup at the front and twist. As you will have gathered, I don't like front opening bras. They just are not comfortable by comparison. 

Gino

From Gino:
"while rear hook styles mostly do not fit even on the last hook. It makes me wonder why they put three sets of hooks to actually make them smaller."

The sets of hooks are to counter bra stretch as it gets older.  We're supposed to start with the loosest set when the bra is new, and as it wears and stretches out over time to segue to the tighter set(s).
When getting a bra that's new, it should be fitted for the loosest set of hooks.
Thx for your perspective, but the stretch argument would make perfect sense except for the bras made of minimal or non stretch materials like satin, lace, and polyester of which  there are many.   

So for me if it has a front fastener odds are a decent fit is most likely a  good bet. I also like the smooth back, it's far more discrete :-) 

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024