Author Topic: Revision surgery after 2 years. Please help !  (Read 2251 times)

Offline karthikus

Hi all,
        I am karthik from India. I had liposuction at the age of 21. I was overweight at that time. 80KGS and 6 feet tall. Since i had heavy chest, i went for lypo in chennai,India. The results were good for 5 months but after that my chest again popped up. Now i and 24 and weigh 90 KGS and have breasts instead of chest :( . I went to the same surgery, he said he will do a revision surgery and to prevent further accumulation of fat, he will do contouring. I am not sure whether the gland was removed last time.My questions are,

1. I have decided to go for liposuction/excision. But will i get this back? Coz i am in a crippling condition , cannot bear it again.
2. Should i say yes to contouring my chest. ?
3. Should i stress the surgeon to remove the gland ..
Please help me docs.. Awaiting for suggestions.

Offline karthikus

bump! any one there ? pls help

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
It may be two years since your original surgery, but you are 10 kg's heavier -- and undoubtedly some of that has gone onto your chest.

Having repeated surgery is not a quick and easy cure for gaining weight.

Why not defer surgery and diet/exercise until you are back at your original weight -- or even less?  There will certainly be some decrease in the size of your breasts as well as the rest of your body.

Then, at your new lower weight, you can make a better decision as to whether to proceed with surgery.

Finally, in the meantime, why not wear some snug body compression garments to give you a better shape (and better self image) while you are in the process of losing weight??

Best of luck!!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

DrBermant

Hi all,
        I am karthik from India. I had liposuction at the age of 21. I was overweight at that time. 80KGS and 6 feet tall. Since i had heavy chest, i went for lypo in chennai,India. The results were good for 5 months but after that my chest again popped up. Now i and 24 and weigh 90 KGS and have breasts instead of chest :( . I went to the same surgery, he said he will do a revision surgery and to prevent further accumulation of fat, he will do contouring. I am not sure whether the gland was removed last time.My questions are,

1. I have decided to go for liposuction/excision. But will i get this back? Coz i am in a crippling condition , cannot bear it again.
2. Should i say yes to contouring my chest. ?
3. Should i stress the surgeon to remove the gland ..
Please help me docs.. Awaiting for suggestions.

Male fat patterns puts fat on first on the belly and chest, we take it off last there. Surgery does not prevent recurrence from gland regrowth nor from new fat being put there with new weight gain. Further liposuction will not fix this problem unless all the fat cells are removed. Then the skin sticks down to the fascia and the results look horrible especially when flexing muscles. Check out the Extended Crater Deformity example I published demonstrating how the chest looks when too much fat is removed.

If the issue is that of a growing gland, surgery is also not the next step. I have seen many examples of patients with unstable gynecomastia with recurrence after surgeon removed the gland. The next step would be to better understand why the gland has regrown.

Surgery is best deferred for stable problems.

If the contour bothers you, check the demonstration I took the time to document on how Body Shaping Garments can be a temporizing contour solution. It can be an awesome emotional band aid for those trying to get a problem stabilized. I have examples of various body types showing the value and limitations of these garments on that publication.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, M.D.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024